Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Westworld

:thumbsdown:

That was definitely my least favorite episode so far, no matter how well-made it may have been. Stand-alone episodes only work if they focus on a character the audience is already invested in. By highlighting a character that barely anyone cares about, I just kept wishing for the episode to switch back to the others like Bernard and Maeve.

That last episode featuring Akecheta was absolutely phenomenal. I was completely blown away by it. This is the only place I've seen anyone say otherwise. :shrug:

Lakota is such a beautiful language. It's been great to see such a high profile show take a bold move and have a couple of episodes spoken almost entirely in languages other than English. Great display of diversity.

Last edited:
Hm... two months ago I was hoping that this entire season was going to be like the last 30 minutes of last nights show. Rachel Wood had her best line ever last night when she was left entirely speechless.

Rachel Wood had her best line ever last night when she was left entirely speechless.

Editing is the only thing that saves her. They even put music over her in that scene- no sounds. I said it last season, when she was getting some emmy buzz that she was 100% propped up by editing when changing from one "character" to another and Hopkins. Now she is without either and we see her range.

The moments in shows that always make me scratch my head is what usually takes me out of them completely. It's like Jamie Lannister swimming across the lake with Bron after nearly dying from the dragon... with full chain mail armor, a gold hand, and his sword.
That moment for me this season- outside of the full frontal attack and needless loss of life when you have superior weapons- has been Maive. So you have the superpowers to mind control- and you use it to have all the ninjas kill each other? Or the entire japanese army kill each other? How about you make them fight in your army dummy!

While I'm on Maive- Thandie was incredible last season. Completely captivating and utterly amazing. I hung on her every word. This season, nothing.

So, am I correct that they are hinting that William followed in Delos footsteps and had himself cloned at some point historically? He has twice rolled up his sleeve as if looking for his “USB” port. And even though he scanned as human it has already been established with Bernard that there are ways of passing such a scan... right?

Now she is without either and we see her range.

To suggest that she even has range is being kind. Ha!

While I'm on Maive- Thandie was incredible last season. Completely captivating and utterly amazing. I hung on her every word. This season, nothing.

I agree, but it is not Thandie’s fault... the script and her lines have been ridiculous and trite more often than not.

Last edited:
I agree, but it is not Thandie’s fault... the script and her lines have been ridiculous and trite more often than not.

I know. HBO has seemed to be obsessed with these overly strong Heroine figures lately. They're just not good. Having nearly every single one of them (in both GoT to WW) being so strong is not only unbelievable, but uncompelling.
I want characters that have flaws and weakness. And by trying to be so woman-strong- in particular in Westworld- they've made these actresses be one dimensional robots (both figurative and literal). Every woman doesn't have to be a badass. It's ok. The male characters are significantly more compelling because they're conflicted and flawed (except Hopkins who is just the best).

They're trying too hard to push some narrative and it's simply unrealistic.

What a convoluted mess of a season and an utter convoluted, convoluted, convoluted travesty of an end. Both writers should be taken out the back of the barn and shot.

At about 55 mins in- I looked at my wife and said "This show is so stupid". I'm out.

If you're curious on what part it was
when Clementine is running at them and gets killed. Then, suddenly, the code keeps pushing onward at the same pace. First, everything about the scene was ridiculous. From starting out with her riding a damned horse in front of all the cars, then a cut-back to Hale who tells her driver to "step on it" and they speed up. Um- there's a Mother F'n person on a horse in front of you- you can't possibly go faster. Except... oh, I dont know- don't have her on a horse.
OK, so they sacrifice logic for imagery. I can stomach that.
But then when she is killed the code continues? So the code radiates out at the speed of a horse? Ridiculous, but whatever, let's still pretend.
So everyone gets affected by the code except Hector, Armistace, Armistace's asian counterpart and the Ghost nation chief? OK- lets pretend that they don't get affected by the code because they are more "awake" than the others- which is entirely ridiculous. But sure, make that ludicrous argument (and disregard many others like all the ghost nation who were equally as "awake" as Armistace's asian counterpart). So why exactly does Maeve's daughter and her 2nd mom not get affected? They sure as hell aren't "awake". Yet there they are, chaos all around them.

The entire Maeve sequence was emotionless and entirely uncompelling. They took, what is arguably their strongest character, and gave her garbage the entire season. What a waste.

Oh ya- and don't forget. Now that the backups are destroyed, when a host dies in Westworld, they are gone forever. Remember that line? Oh ya... unless we take the little brain ball out of them and then we can make them again. So sorry for the attempt at making all host deaths more emotional the entire season with that news, we were just kidding- Teddy and Maeve and everybody can come back if you want. Oh wait... Teddy went to the "afterlife heaven" thing even though he died a few days ago, but Maeve, who is also dead, isn't in there with her daughter. The whole thing is beyond dumb and needlessly confusing. Vomit.

The. Show. Is. Stupid. No one can argue otherwise.

I can handle almost anything a show throws at me. Dragons, Zombies - whatever. But when it insults my intelligence, has ridiculously bad writing and editing, I just can't do it anymore. There are too many good shows out there to waste my time with nonsense and idiocy.

Season one was fantastic. It was concise, it had a beginning, middle and end. It had mystery and the reveals were satisfying and complete. Any confusion ultimately had a payoff.
This season, conversely, seemed to use confusion as a complete gimmick. Simply put, it tried too hard with the mystery- all while sacrificing the advancement of their most compelling characters.
I wish it would have ended as one season.

Last edited:
I just read your spoiler. Geez, I hadn’t even thought it that far through! I just knew that what I was watching was garbage.

The thing that really set me off earlier in the season, and it continued to the end, was using Bernard as the problem solving narrator. “Think Bernard” and out of thin air Bernard narrates that A+B equals Z-P out loud and on and on with the lame narrative explanation of things. I wanted to scream each time it occurred.

The entire season felt like a waste. Anytime something began to be compelling they either abandoned it or changed the rules so significantly that I just didn't care. Season 2 was a victim of season 1 being so good.

Ha ha. I thought the finale and episode 9 were great. Oh well. Guess I’ll look elsewhere to discuss this.
I thought the season was good. There certainly were plenty of standout moments. There are plot holes and inconsistencies galore but that's all besides the point, it's to get you to think about artificial intelligence, life, mortality, free will, etc., and the craftsmanship is top notch across the board. It's a fine piece of entertainment, certainly better than 90% of what's currently on TV.