Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Indiana Jones Ride at Disney Hollywood Studios?

He's who you want on any project... most of what he does is at DAK though. I'd prefer this to not go there.

Ugh. Big disagreement here.

He has a 1:10 ratio of success!
  • Lucky the dinosaur
  • Yeti
  • Chester and Hester
  • Which has TWO "rides"!
  • Kali budget cut
  • Beastly Kingdom ----> Camp Minny Mickey. Holy poop imagine the boardroom meeting on this one.
  • EE queue is awesome
I do love the safari though. And Africa is the best themed land in all Orlando.

JR can nail details, but loses his vison in the execution. IMO.

• Lucky the dinosaur
  • Yeti
  • Chester and Hester
  • Which has TWO "rides"!
  • Kali budget cut
  • Beastly Kingdom ----> Camp Minny Mickey. Holy poop imagine the boardroom meeting on this one.
  • EE queue is awesome

I don’t think the Yeti was his fault as much as it was a glitch in the construction program, the Yeti is absolutely stunning when it is working properly, sadly that might never happen again. :(

• Lucky the dinosaur
  • Yeti
  • Chester and Hester
  • Which has TWO "rides"!
  • Kali budget cut
  • EE queue is awesome

I’m still pissed about Beastly Kingdom >:O

• Lucky the dinosaur
  • Yeti
  • Chester and Hester
  • Which has TWO "rides"!
  • Kali budget cut
  • EE queue is awesome

I mean, he had to work with Eisner so you have to give him some slack

Shouldn't a great Imagineer be able to stand up against budget cuts? It is his project! Or at least work through them?

Steve Alcorn's book about building the American Adventure is all about that. Sometimes it seems like people are way too eager to compromise.

Obviously I was not there, but someone agreed to turn Beastly Kingdom into a single meet-and-greet. :faint:

Last edited:
Shouldn't a great Imagineer be able to stand up against budget cuts? It is his project! Or at least work through them?

Steve Alcorn's book about building the American Adventure is all about that. Sometimes it seems like people are way to eager to compromise.

Obviously I was not there, but someone agreed to turn Beastly Kingdom into a single meet-and-greet. :faint:
From what I've heard, Beastly Kingdom's cancellation had nothing to do with Rhode. It was because Disney was about to release the film Dinosaur and Eisner would rather have synergy with the film so he favored Dino..Kingdom? (I'm not sure what that area is called.) over Beastly Kingdom.

From what I've heard, Beastly Kingdom's cancellation had nothing to do with Rhode. It was because Disney was about to release the film Dinosaur and Eisner would rather have synergy with the film so he favored Dino..Kingdom? (I'm not sure what that area is called.) over Beastly Kingdom.

That was DinoLand and, more specifically, the ride now known as Dinosaur. Beastly Kingdom became Camp Mickey Minnie.

I still feel strongly that great Imagineers have a say in budgets. Tony Baxter lost on Western River Expedition but won it all back on Splash Mountain.

That was DinoLand and, more specifically, the ride now known as Dinosaur. Beastly Kingdom became Camp Mickey Minnie.
I know, what I'm saying is that when EuroDisney failed in addition to some other reasons, Eisner had to decide to build DinoLand or Beastly Kingdom for AK's opening day. He wanted to have synergy with the new film, so he decided on DinoLand. Beastly Kingdom was supposed to be added in a later expansion, but never was. Nothing to do with Rhode.

Steve Alcorn's book about building the American Adventure is all about that. Sometimes it seems like people are way to eager to compromise.

Camp Mickey was a temporary solution with the Imagineers promised that Beastly will be a part of a "Phase 2" for AK... that never happened.

Agreed to an extent. A good designer can conceive an amazing product. A great designer can adapt that amazing product around hurdles without compromising the design. Working with budgets and maintaining integrity of the creative vision is crucial to design, it doesn’t matter what field.

But on the flip side, Disney is a mammoth corporation and I can’t imagine how difficult navigating the red tape is. Higher ups can come in and make sweeping decisions much to the detriment of the design process and imagineers can sometimes only do so much. I think TSL is a great example of a concept that was hacked down for business reasons and while we all have our criticisms, the imagineers were able to find lots of moments for great design.

Either. Make your vision. Or, move out of the way and let them make a meet Mickey hut.

Visionary or company man? Your call.
Sounds like a good way to get moved out of the way

Seriously, there is a line of people waiting to be Imagineers...they will find someone else

Sounds like a good way to get moved out of the way

Seriously, there is a line of people waiting to be Imagineers...they will find someone else

Well, of course. I think the good ones stand up and/or find a way. Again, Steve Alcorn. Also, even though I do not know the details, isn't this how we got Dragon Challenge?

Well, of course. I think the good ones stand up and/or find a way. Again, Steve Alcorn. Also, even though I do not know the details, isn't this how we got Dragon Challenge?

If I remember correctly, a few of the people who worked on Beastly Kingdom moved to Universal and took some of their ideas with them.

That must have been a decisive factor in why it was never built. Having said that, with DC now gone, Beastly Kingdom could return.