Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Revenge of the Mummy (USH)

Stryker,
Good notice. This effect called "Ankle Ticklers" was installed on May 21, 2005. This was apart of the enhancement that the ride went through. There were a few items that happen.

1. Scene 4, just after the (A Lone Survivor) when the Tomb Robber says: "Run for your lives! The Curse is real! Imhotep lives". This scene was slowed down by about 5 seconds to give the ride some extra time, as the ride went so quickly.
  2. Scene 11, (The Final Confrontation: The Turntable) was changed as well. The video was removed from the dome screen above. As well as the faux fire effect. The room was darkened and added mini strobe lights from Birket Engineering similar to these which were already installed in the ride. Located in Scene 6 and 7 at the first launch (Image Capture area). A new projector was added for his face just before you leave the turntable with a large Lightning Strikes strobe light. The LN2 was left in the scene so it would fill the room with "smoke" as you enter.

Interesting little detail I noticed while riding Mummy this past Saturday.

When you come to a stop before going in reverse where scarab beetles are projected on the wall, you can feel something tickling your feet. I've never noticed this before. Perhaps because I was wearing sandals this time, but was this always a feature of the ride or something added later? Have any of you noticed this while wearing shoes?

Interestingly, they used (or are currently using) the Sharp XG-V10WU projector, which has a lower resolution than an HDTV. Have they updated it or is it still like that?

Interestingly, they used (or are currently using) the Sharp XG-V10WU projector, which has a lower resolution than an HDTV. Have they updated it or is it still like that?

Good eye! We were waiting for someone to comment on that, its why we included it! :) The original ride was never built using HD technology. It was designed in early to mid-2003 with a build in early 2004. All the projectors were that make except for scene 5 (The Treasure Room, which was a Barco) and scene 12 (Turntable which was a Christie until it got removed). They only lasted a few years and then were upgraded. We're told that the projector for the loading hold scene (after you leave the load platform) has been removed. It showed scarabs beetles coming out from the wall.

This effect called "Ankle Ticklers"

At first, I wasn't sure how the effect was pulled off. I originally thought it was air jets. On a recent trip, I clamped my feet together and caught the effect between my feet. I reached down and felt something resembling a silicone string. It appears the effect is just a silicone string spinning around like a weed wacker.

At first, I wasn't sure how the effect was pulled off. I originally thought it was air jets. On a recent trip, I clamped my feet together and caught the effect between my feet. I reached down and felt something resembling a silicone string. It appears the effect is just a silicone string spinning around like a weed wacker.
I could almost swear around when mummy first opened I felt beetles on me!! I hope this is true!! Was this just added because I have not felt it and I was there June 23.

I'm starting to get the feeling that Mummy won't be going anywhere.

It seems that every year, insiders on here post that Mummy won't survive the year and yet here it is. I believe it all depends on where SNW ends up going. We'll see...

I'm starting to get the feeling that Mummy won't be going anywhere.

It seems that every year, insiders on here post that Mummy won't survive the year and yet here it is. I believe it all depends on where SNW ends up going. We'll see...

I heard from someone that it was actually set to close last year, with its replacement set to open late 2017, but for whatever reason, the project was either scrapped or put on hold indefinitely. The details I have are sketchy at best and I have absolutely no clue why the project was abandoned.

I feel like RotM survives by being inconspicuous. Uncomplicated, reliable, gernerally a people-pleaser. As soon as Universal thinks about replacing it, they get distracted by some other project and forget all about little RotM.

I heard from someone that it was actually set to close last year, with its replacement set to open late 2017, but for whatever reason, the project was either scrapped or put on hold indefinitely. The details I have are sketchy at best and I have absolutely no clue why the project was abandoned.

I feel like RotM survives by being inconspicuous. Uncomplicated, reliable, gernerally a people-pleaser. As soon as Universal thinks about replacing it, they get distracted by some other project and forget all about little RotM.

It reminds me, ironically enough, of Dragon Challenge from Islands. It always seemed at the point to where dueling was removed, to where that was on the chopping list. And that for a while, it seemed that nothing would kill it..until they did. I'm sure @Mad Dog can explain that better than I can, but I get the distinct impression that Mummy..is in a boat similar to Dragon Challenge.

Nevertheless, I have no reason to doubt that Mummy won't leave. Much like Dragon Challenge from Orlando, it's a prime value space that can be used for something large. And would fit more with the Soundstage cluster than 22-25/28 for Nintendo.

That said, I shouldn't be talking more than I am, but I am not sold on Mummy staying for the rest of the year.

It reminds me, ironically enough, of Dragon Challenge from Islands. It always seemed at the point to where dueling was removed, to where that was on the chopping list. And that for a while, it seemed that nothing would kill it..until they did. I'm sure @Mad Dog can explain that better than I can, but I get the distinct impression that Mummy..is in a boat similar to Dragon Challenge.

Nevertheless, I have no reason to doubt that Mummy won't leave. Much like Dragon Challenge from Orlando, it's a prime value space that can be used for something large. And would fit more with the Soundstage cluster than 22-25/28 for Nintendo.

That said, I shouldn't be talking more than I am, but I am not sold on Mummy staying for the rest of the year.

Short of an unexpected catastrophic failure that would be expensive to fix, there's no chance Universal takes Mummy offline until Jurassic World debuts. That would leave the Lower Lot with one attraction operating (Transformers).

Short of an unexpected catastrophic failure that would be expensive to fix, there's no chance Universal takes Mummy offline until Jurassic World debuts. That would leave the Lower Lot with one attraction operating (Transformers).

I honestly disagree with you, especially if Super Nintendo World is a 2021; I'd have to imagine that they would need to get moving as soon as January, especially considering that Osaka didn't get the ball going until January of this year for Nintendo (which is funny, considering the events that were transpiring between the time of ground break until January).

I honestly disagree with you, especially if Super Nintendo World is a 2021; I'd have to imagine that they would need to get moving as soon as January, especially considering that Osaka didn't get the ball going until January of this year for Nintendo (which is funny, considering the events that were transpiring between the time of ground break until January).

I would be beyond stunned if Universal had the hubris to take two of its actual ride-based headliners offline during the same period, leaving half of its park with exactly one substantial attraction. SNW or not, the park simply can't sustain that sort of capacity hit.

I would be beyond stunned if Universal had the hubris to take two of its actual ride-based headliners offline during the same period, leaving half of its park with exactly one substantial attraction. SNW or not, the park simply can't sustain that sort of capacity hit.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised; considering how much crap was happening for USF back in 2012 that affected quite a lot, regardless if it was small or not.

And that's not even mentioning how D23 seemed to pretty much screw a lot of things up with Universal, along with Orlando getting the land and of Beijing happening. And that's not even considering that now, LA is going to wait 4 additional years from their original slotted Olympics date.

I think, Universal is going to be crazy enough to close Mummy and Jurassic. Even in the off-season, I fully believe they are going to take the hit, if that means for them long-term growth, even if it's going to be absolute hell for Hollywood for 6 months.

EDIT: Might I add, that Universal was crazy enough to close 4 attractions nearly at the same time, with 2 on Labor Day of 2015 (Hulk/Disaster), one on Halloween (Twister), and one on the 6th of January of 2016 (Beetlejuice).

Last edited:
EDIT: Might I add, that Universal was crazy enough to close 4 attractions nearly at the same time, with 2 on Labor Day of 2015 (Hulk/Disaster), one on Halloween (Twister), and one on the 6th of January of 2016 (Beetlejuice).
3 of those closures were due to stupidity, one was for a necessary redo. But that is also Orlando which still had A LOT more to offer guests than USH.

If Transformers is the ONLY ride on the Lower Lot, guests will flip their s**t. I'd be surprised by how many would trek all the way down there just for it. I love the character photo-ops, but that isn't going to help cushion the blow of two major NON-SCREEN rides closed down there.

The park already has the major problem of not offering enough for guests to do. The only reason its a full day park is due to long waittimes for the 5 rides/attractions the park has. I enjoy Transformers for the Spiderman knock-off it is, but close Mummy/JP together and only the Upper Lot will basically exist.

Thank gosh

Interesting. I suspect that SNW was actually planned for SS 22-25 this entire time. The height balloons add more fuel to that. Putting SNW there makes more sense than replacing Mummy IMO. Save that space for another JW of some sort.....like a coaster.
That's especially considering those are the only two entirely practical rides left. Get rid of those then people will be really fatigued on screens. No way that's happening.

Seems like they decided to build Nintendo at SS 22-25. That means Mummy should be up and running while that and JW is constructed. If they do have plans for Mummy, it'll occur after JW opens next year and then they can do the new build. If Nintendo is aimed for 2021/2022, starting construction in 2019 allows for a 2-year build of whatever they decide to open if they plan on it for 2021.

So it seems like ROTM will stay intact for a pretty while, which allows Universal to take time to develop a replacement for the attraction, maybe a DK-style indoor ride. I'm really intrigued at the idea of a DK-style roller coaster when the Mine Cart simulates the jumping cart like you see in the DK Country video games back in the 1990s. Hopefully, by next year in late 2019, we'll get an announcement of SNW Hollywood, two years after SNW was announced for the Japanese version.