Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Picture of the Day - Everywhere Else

sb1SSna.jpg

Fog rolls in - Northeast Harbor, Maine

Yes. It was labled as swamp milkweed. I never knew there were various forms of the plant. I was accustomed to “field” milkweed as a kid. It has become tres vogue to be planting it on a spare patch nowadays. Everyone has marshalled to save the Monarch!
They sell "milkweed" here that monarchs don't eat. Lots of people plant it thinking they are helping.......

Yes. It was labled as swamp milkweed. I never knew there were various forms of the plant. I was accustomed to “field” milkweed as a kid. It has become tres vogue to be planting it on a spare patch nowadays. Everyone has marshalled to save the Monarch!
I though so. Last year I planted some milkweed species that the nursery was carrying, specifically for monarch butterflies. (We have some 'other' wild species of milkweed in the woods but they don't seem to be monarch material :lol:....similar to what Joe Camel is saying....I read there's over 300 types of milkweed). It's very prolific, grew from a 2 inch shoot to 4 ft. tall, during the 10 days I was in Orlando in May. I've had tons of monarchs around these season, and have observed the larvae, and larvae eaten holes on the leafs of the plant that is poisonous to everything but the monarch larvae/caterpillars. And like your photo (which I recognized by the spent flower) caterpillars on the leaf.

Now you two have me going... do monarchs eat the field milkweed... the ones that send off those tinkerbelle seeds in the fall?

Never mind... they do. This is what I remember: Asclepias syriaca - Wikipedia
Too, I remember seeing that the National Park here had planted a patch of it.
:thumbsup: ....love the adaptability of the monarch. They eat the milkweed species that are poisonous to all other things. Thus, they too become poisonous, so predators will avoid eating them.

Now you two have me going... do monarchs eat the field milkweed... the ones that send off those tinkerbelle seeds in the fall?

Never mind... they do. This is what I remember: Asclepias syriaca - Wikipedia
Too, I remember seeing that the National Park here had planted a patch of it.
When I was growing up in the midwest we ran the fields, "saved" caterpillars in mason jars with holey lids and watched them turn into a chrysalis then hatch into the final stage. Cool and every kid should have that chance.
Never knew there was milkweed they don't eat til a few years ago, all the weeds I saw were "come eat me" to the butterflies.

received_247570685872547.jpeg
Yup. Kings Cross.
EDIT: I should have added " the real Kings Cross". Wonder if the new brick work was done to repair Potter fans running into it.

Last edited: