Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Phoenix is being removed! (Rumor)

When I was there a worker told me that tidal surge was going to replace it!
Huh? There is no Tidal Surge, there was Tidal Wave and there is Wild Surge; the former obviously would not fit there lol, the latter would. Would be a real shame if they took out Phoenix in order to move Wild Surge there.

Huh? There is no Tidal Surge, there was Tidal Wave and there is Wild Surge; the former obviously would not fit there lol, the latter would. Would be a real shame if they took out Phoenix in order to move Wild Surge there.
Wild surge is correct...still morning over tidal wave.
To add to this them moving wild surge and closing jungla would free up a lot of space!

As we speak Phoenix is currently listed as being down on BGT website.

Thinking about this logically, I'm not sure why BGT would want to remove Phoenix and replace it with a ride like Wild Surge to open land up. Wild Surge is kind of a hidden ride, however, it's surrounded by very nice, large rock work which I'm sure BGT wouldn't want to remove. Plus with the amount of rides BGT has closed recently, I question why they would want to close yet another ride, especially a thrill ride like Phoenix. To my understanding though, Phoenix is a pretty old ride (actually over 30 years old, wow!), however, I'd rather see them replace it with another thrill ride as opposed to relocating another ride.

I just don't see why BGT would want to "close" Jungala, it's one of the nicest areas of the park and it's relatively new! (only added 10 years ago). If anything, the area by Gwazi is desperate for some work.

Last edited:
As we speak Phoenix is currently listed as being down on BGT website.

Thinking about this logically, I'm not sure why BGT would want to remove Phoenix and replace it with a ride like Wild Surge to open land up. Wild Surge is kind of a hidden ride, however, it's surrounded by very nice, large rock work which I'm sure BGT wouldn't want to remove. Plus with the amount of rides BGT has closed recently, I question why they would want to close yet another ride, especially a thrill ride like Phoenix. To my understanding though, Phoenix is a pretty old ride (actually over 30 years old, wow!), however, I'd rather see them replace it with another thrill ride as opposed to relocating another ride.

I just don't see why BGT would want to "close" Jungala, it's one of the nicest areas of the park and it's relatively new! (only added 10 years ago). If anything, the area by Gwazi is desperate for some work.
It's important to note that whenever people talk about BGT "closing" Jungala, they're mainly thinking about Tree Top Trails, the playground section with the net climbing and zip line. Most people don't distinguish a section of an area from the entire area, so when Tree Top Trails was briefly closed off back in February, people online were saying the "Jungala" area had closed, as if the playground plus the tiger and orangutan exhibits plus the restaurant plus the gift shop were all no longer accessible.

I understand that, based off this rumor though, if Wild Surge is to be removed, I have to question what else would they do with that space other than demolish it or retrofit some other attraction in that small footprint. Overall, I just don't see the need to do anything with that area. If anything, they should expand it to where Tidal Wave is if that is what their plan for Twisted Tiger involves. Something is definitely up with this area of the park for 2019, and if it isn't Gwazi, it's gotta be something in Jungala/surrounding areas.

I understand that, based off this rumor though, if Wild Surge is to be removed, I have to question what else would they do with that space other than demolish it or retrofit some other attraction in that small footprint. Overall, I just don't see the need to do anything with that area. If anything, they should expand it to where Tidal Wave is if that is what their plan for Twisted Tiger involves. Something is definitely up with this area of the park for 2019, and if it isn't Gwazi, it's gotta be something in Jungala/surrounding areas.
I agree. It's a popular play area for kids who are too old for Sesame Street but still want to have some physical fun. And like I said in another thread, that Orang Cafe adjacent to Tree Top Trails has been vacant for a long time, so that could be demolished to serve as a pathway between Tree Tops and the orangutan exhibit to the Tidal Wave area for the new ride.

Attraction closure schedule mentions two dates for Phoenix, April 16th until further notice, and then a bit further down the list: May 29 - June 14 .

I would like to see Phoenix replaced by a better flat

I used to enjoy it, but the way the restraints squeeze your pelvis really doesn't feel nice haha

I would like to see Phoenix replaced by a better flat

I used to enjoy it, but the way the restraints squeeze your pelvis really doesn't feel nice haha
I love Phoenix, though yeah, that restraint is annoying. I always tighten my abs and push my body a little forward when the restraint gets locked, gives me slightly more room, makes for better hang-time as well.

Also, I think in general BGT could use a couple extra thrilling flat rides, same with Seaworld; frisbee, topspin etc. would be nice, or a giant enterprise with exterior seating!

With BGW seemingly getting an S&S Screamin Swing flat ride in 2019, could something similar be in the future for BGT in 2020 or beyond?

Certainly possible, and the Phoenix site may be a good contender if the ride is not to return to operation.

Personally, I would put it on the plot where Tidal Wave used to be, along with the Skyrocket. That area is too large for just a single, small area ride.

They were replacing the restraint system while I was there. Must have had all their attention on getting FF back up, now they can focus on Phoenix again. Crazy that this ride is still around, it's one of the oldest in the park! Wish they would add some more flat rides.

They were replacing the restraint system while I was there. Must have had all their attention on getting FF back up, now they can focus on Phoenix again. Crazy that this ride is still around, it's one of the oldest in the park! Wish they would add some more flat rides.
Many were singing the "BGT needs more flats" tune a few years ago

Universal has its LESS SCREENZ people
BGT has its LESS COASTERZ people

I'm not saying they shouldn't add coasters, I just think a few more flat rides in some sections of the park could do a big service for this park. BGW has a lot of flat rides. It also seems like the company is interested in adding flats as the rumored addition for SWSA (basically confirmed by permits) is that they will be adding two flat rides, also BGW is rumored to add another flat.

I'm not saying they shouldn't add coasters, I just think a few more flat rides in some sections of the park could do a big service for this park. BGW has a lot of flat rides. It also seems like the company is interested in adding flats as the rumored addition for SWSA (basically confirmed by permits) is that they will be adding two flat rides, also BGW is rumored to add another flat.

You're absolutely right....I was reminiscing about a past complaint people had

Good flat rides are a must for a park like BGT....Themed ones are even better