The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad Closing | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad Closing

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Analogy: I pay for Dish network. A couple years ago they butted heads with Turner. Lost all channels related for about two months. I bitched about my bill because I wasn't getting what I paid for. They said too bad essentially. Much like an AP holder at universal. Except my AP is paid up front and not monthly.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
They haven't teased a morsel of information about the Potter coaster since the closure of Dragon Challenge.

Which is normal for them.

Even with all the visible construction there hasn't been ONE post on the official blog or the social channels about the progress (Disney basically had a press release and a series of pictures after every milestone of the Slinky coaster).

Yea. Disney does that. Universal doesn't.

There has been no mention of a Volcano Bay expansion.

Probably because one hasn't started yet.

USH's Jurassic Park ride is getting a send-off and a huge renovation but we've heard nothing about Orlando's version.

Probably because nothing is happening to Orlando's any time soon.

And now we have an original IOA attraction that opened with the park in 1999 closing with no replacement announced and nothing imminent even planned. To make matters worse, they didn't even bother announcing the closure on their blog and only made a statement to the press after they inquired.

Because the closure of Sindbad is *irrelevant*. Absolutely no one cares.

People can complain about Sindbad being cut with no replacement. I'm all for that. But to pretend it deserved recognition when it is universally both ignored and reviled is a joke.

Analogy: I pay for Dish network. A couple years ago they butted heads with Turner. Lost all channels related for about two months. I bitched about my bill because I wasn't getting what I paid for. They said too bad essentially. Much like an AP holder at universal. Except my AP is paid up front and not monthly.

You paid for a year of daily entry to two (or three) theme parks. You're getting what you paid for.

Reactions: Sithina
And a safari in Africa too! Paying for 8 as I recall? Wow!

Shall we not?

At this point, if we really want to discuss on the subject of UOR and the implications of the penny-saving; I feel like we need to do it on a separate thread, and not here.

For now; perhaps we can talk about Sindbad's closure coming up, and what that could eventually mean for the venue in the future?

So with a chance at being back on topic and address the bickering, mine included. The issue is the implication is merely we get an eyesore.
Their is no definitive plan in place. Let’s face it universal simply tried to close this as quietly as possible because they don’t have a next move. It’s sad but true. If they had a laid out plan for the future they wouldn’t have been extremely secretive in the closure. They would have at least said was we are closing sindbad as we prepare for our next exciting offering but instead said nothing then info came out so they said yes we are closing the attraction.

I hope I’m wrong and they make some surprise announcement and shut us all up but as of right now the closure seems just like a quick way to save a dollar.

So with a chance at being back on topic and address the bickering, mine included. The issue is the implication is merely we get an eyesore.
Their is no definitive plan in place. Let’s face it universal simply tried to close this as quietly as possible because they don’t have a next move. It’s sad but true. If they had a laid out plan for the future they wouldn’t have been extremely secretive in the closure. They would have at least said was we are closing sindbad as we prepare for our next exciting offering but instead said nothing then info came out so they said yes we are closing the attraction.

I hope I’m wrong and they make some surprise announcement and shut us all up but as of right now the closure seems just like a quick way to save a dollar.

I mean, it’s both? Yes it was closed because it was an easy way to save a dollar. There are also plans for the land. We won’t see them for a while and this closure wasn’t for those plans to get going. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t plans

Reactions: Sithina and Mike S

I think the only chance we get something, is a blog post looking back at the history of the show. But I think that'd be a day or two after it'd close.

Sindbad, will eventually be a part of a project. But as of now; I think we have to unfortunately wait.

I mean, it’s both? Yes it was closed because it was an easy way to save a dollar. There are also plans for the land. We won’t see them for a while and this closure wasn’t for those plans to get going. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t plans

I think the only chance we get something, is a blog post looking back at the history of the show. But I think that'd be a day or two after it'd close.

Sindbad, will eventually be a part of a project. But as of now; I think we have to unfortunately wait.

Yes and that is what has us angry.Do they have a plan for a land that has been struggling for quite some time and constantly ignored. They close a show with in that land quietly. We then think maybe this is the start but after a quick consideration of the facts realize that nope it’s just a money saver. They know the land needs an overhaul to something new, has for quite a while, close an attraction, and hold cause that’s it for now. They know they need to do something and have a plan(doubtful), they also cut the attractions from 2 to 1 in the land but they are just not ready to get started on the plan yet. Why what’s holding it up the massive draw that lost continent is not, nope it’s cause your plan isn’t finalized.

Sorry but doesn’t really sound like there is a plan. Gutting an already lacking land but leaving the rest open for the next year or two doesn’t sound like a plan. Sounds like a quick way to pad the numbers for bonus time.

Yes and that is what has us angry.Do they have a plan for a land that has been struggling for quite some time and constantly ignored. They close a show with in that land quietly. We then think maybe this is the start but after a quick consideration of the facts realize that nope it’s just a money saver. They know the land needs an overhaul to something new, has for quite a while, close an attraction, and hold cause that’s it for now. They know they need to do something and have a plan(doubtful), they also cut the attractions from 2 to 1 in the land but they are just not ready to get started on the plan yet. Why what’s holding it up the massive draw that lost continent is not, nope it’s cause your plan isn’t finalized.

Sorry but doesn’t really sound like there is a plan. Gutting an already lacking land but leaving the rest open for the next year or two doesn’t sound like a plan. Sounds like a quick way to pad the numbers for bonus time.

Honestly, I am not a fan of it either. And that, what the venue is probably going to be used of for now, is prominently private event related until they can move forward with the plans (or to just demolish the building to clear skyline for now).

It takes up an enormous footprint. It is one of only two attractions in Lost Continent. It has an imposing facade with a talking fountain in front of it to encourage people to enter. It utilizes major special effects including pyro. It involves multiple TMs, and professional stunt-men. Just because it isn't popular doesn't mean it isn't a major attraction. It isn't an E-ticket but it isn't a minor attraction like the frog choir or Olivanders.
You just cited the majority of the reasons for closing... a low-attended show that because it involved all of the above stuff that costs $$$. I'd sat 80% of the people wont even realize its gone as long at the talking fountain is there, Heck, I know people who didn't even know there was a theater back there when the shoe was open!

Besides... Disney already canceled one of their big announcements (Main Street Theater). The space restaurant is off and on depending on the day. GotG is in a weird narrative limbo because of the film’s production hiatus. Tron is... three(?) years away. And we can talk about Star Wars, but it was initially announced four some odd years ago.

It’s such an apples and oranges thing.
The Space Restaurant is very much happening.

Not defending the cancellation of the theatre as I was looking forward to it. However, it wasn't a major announcement at all. It was probably one of the smallest they announced that isn't a hotel and wasn't even rumored beforehand.

Kind of interested in how Universal doesn’t care about APs.
If this is asking why someone would think that, the answer is simple - APs are jaded. Just look at the UOAP FB group.

APs go to the parks so much more than the average guest, so for them, the time between new rides seems longer than it really is. That's what it really boils down to.

It's funny how some people think they are entitled to get information from theme parks just because they do. Announcements come as they come, 15 year in advance or months before the opening. It's not up to you.
Disney is closing stuff all the time too sometimes replacing it with almost nothing (Innoventions, the wonders of live pavilion, the Odyssey restaurant, Rocket Rods, Skyway MK, 20K MK, AK+MK+DLP boat rides, Discovery Island, River country, Osborn Lights, Lights of Winter, parades etc).
At Universal there are always plans to replace attractions, there are also good reasons to close something (goes for any theme park). In the case of 8th Voyage it's probably because it didn't pull enough people in, maybe they need the stunt people for the new T2 replacement show. In the end the show isn't missed much and you would be excused to miss it when it was open because it's not in the middle of the land but tucked in the back. If you don't like it that's okay but that attitude you should get checked. it's not healthy.