Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Lionsgate World Resort

Thoughts on SkyPlex?

• I want it!

• I have concerns, but still want to see it built.

• I hate it!

• I don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
What’s taking them so damn long? It should be under construction by now. Hell, it should have been under construction early last year!
If this was any major amusement operator, yeah, it should be up and running by now. But it isn't.

This is a (so far) pretty successful Florida business man and that's it. He's been looking to secure funding for awhile. When you are building something this way (needing investors), you need to prove to the people considering giving you money WHY they should give you money and what your business plan is for becoming profitable, which will then allow the investors to make their money back.

Projects like this are always ones that take awhile. Sometimes they happen, sometimes they get cancelled because of lack of funding.

If this was any major amusement operator, yeah, it should be up and running by now. But it isn't.

This is a (so far) pretty successful Florida business man and that's it. He's been looking to secure funding for awhile. When you are building something this way (needing investors), you need to prove to the people considering giving you money WHY they should give you money and what your business plan is for becoming profitable, which will then allow the investors to make their money back.

Projects like this are always ones that take awhile. Sometimes they happen, sometimes they get cancelled because of lack of funding.
Yeah, I think that "profitable" business plan is what the hold up is. Anyone lining up to ride the eye?

I'm on the fence about this. I don't want Universal's new park skyline to be ruined by this, while at the same time I want to be able to ride this thing. Maybe they should lower the height to no more than 300ft.

It's quite shocking how the city hasn't really tried to improve the look of I-Drive over the past few years.

I think they’ve tried. A few key areas have improved and the surround areas should improve over time.

I think Endless Summer is going to crush the surrounding hotels with their pricing. When it’s only an extra 20 bucks a nice to stay at a nice clean hotel with all the benefits that Universal offer, the other hotels are going to struggle.

It's like that it'll happen but in a reduced way. Same height, same coaster, but other elements previously announced won't be happening.

Who and Where is this going? And why does uni care?
Universal did petition to get it denied based on the height since it could be seen from inside their parks...and failed. Universal is in the city limits of Orlando, whereas Skyplex is not (will be at the NE corner of International Drive & Sand Lake Rd).

It's quite shocking how the city hasn't really tried to improve the look of I-Drive over the past few years.

Most of I-Drive is not in the City Of Orlando. It's in Orange County who is responsible for what happens there in regards to planning. The city limit going north on I-Drive starts just as you pass Magical Midway. Everything to the south is Orange County. (City limit outlined in red below)

upload_2018-9-17_15-9-4.png

Universal did petition to get it denied based on the height since it could be seen from inside their parks...and failed. Universal is in the city limits of Orlando, whereas Skyplex is not (will be at the NE corner of International Drive & Sand Lake Rd).

Most of I-Drive is not in the City Of Orlando. It's in Orange County who is responsible for what happens there in regards to planning. The city limit going north on I-Drive starts just as you pass Magical Midway. Everything to the south is Orange County. (City limit outlined in red below)

View attachment 7875
Interestingly, Universal already owned land under Orange County jurisdiction. The portion of the Wet n' Wild property that was in the lake was in Orange County.

I really don’t get why everyone has a problem with the complex and coaster? It’ll be an awesome landmark for Orlando, a great tourist hotspot, and it’s something to do outside the theme parks. There’s stuff like it around the area as well, so it’s not like it’ll interrupt traffic and sight lines. The Universal 4th Park skyline is my only issue with it, but Universal can work around that.