Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

It's probably in my Top 5 (current) Universal attractions! I need to sleep on it (and perhaps sneak over to IOA tomorrow for one more ride!) to know for sure, but I'm feeling good about its chances.
Do it when the outside track is running in the night (dark). Like wow.....My top five at Universal too. :thumbsup:...Even though I usually have Express, I stop and watch the witch doctor scene everytime....Kong, Kong, Kong !!!....so much to see....it gets better every ride....different seats, different views, different parts of scenes....it's like different rides almost. some better than others. middle to back seats are best by far.

I love this ride more than Gringotts. they use the screens better than on gringotts.

I think this ride is the ride in both parks that uses the screens the best out of any other ride. when it looks like you are going really fast and the raptors are following you is really amazing , that part always scares everyone.
I also love when you are hanging with the T Rex from the vines.

And of course the amazing Kong animatronic. every single time i ride it i ask to be on the side of Kong. i always have to see him as closest as i can.

I never did the original but i love this one. and i love the kong robot. hes so amazing

I am I am definitely going to have to ride his several times while down there in December. We were pretty underwhelmed the only time we rode t last year. Hopefully with express and a full week of time there, we can experience the different aspects of this. After hearing your opinions, definitely not excited to give this another shot.

I am I am definitely going to have to ride his several times while down there in December. We were pretty underwhelmed the only time we rode t last year. Hopefully with express and a full week of time there, we can experience the different aspects of this. After hearing your opinions, definitely not excited to give this another shot.
One thing I've found out since I started vacationing at WDW &Universal is that first ride impressions of an attraction are sometimes quite different from my impression after riding something 5 or 6 times. Much of the first impressions of an attraction is colored by expectations. A couple of examples. My first rides on JPRA and Revenge of Mummy left me underwhelmed. My expectations were different than the ride actually was. After a number of repeat rides, my opinions changed significantly. Now, both of those attractions are among my favorite anywhere. So, my advice is to always experience an attraction a good number of times before forming an opinion. Disney Imagineer great Tony Baxter always emphasized that an attraction's true worth was what it was after you've experienced it multiple times, not that first ride. Rides like Splash just get better and better no matter how many times you ride....and always ride Kong when the outside section is running. It loses much of it's substance when it's indoors only.

I did get over to IOA today to ride Kong one more time, and my opinion has solidified: Top 5 Universal ride for me. There are lots of little details throughout that elevate it: the drivers and their personalities, the booming sound design, and - particularly - the music; the final cue taking us into the unload station culminates in this rousing, satisfying crescendo that that sends you off the ride feeling great after that up-close encounter with Kong.

After a few years of being kind of underwhelmed by some of Universal's moves, it feels really good to love a new (to me) Universal attraction without reservations again.

1. The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
2. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
3. Revenge of the Mummy
4. Skull Island: Reign of Kong
5. Men in Black: Alien Attack

Last edited:
I did get over to IOA today to ride Kong one more time, and my opinion has solidified: Top 5 Universal ride for me. There are lots of little details throughout that elevate it: the drivers and their personalities, the booming sound design, and - particularly - the music; the final cue taking us into the unload station culminates in this rousing, satisfying crescendo that that sends you off the ride feeling great after that up-close encounter with Kong.

After a few years of being kind of underwhelmed by some of Universal's moves, it feels really good to love a new (to me) Universal attraction without reservations again.

1. The Amazing Spider-Man
2. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
3. Revenge of the Mummy
4. Skull Island: Reign of Kong
5. Men in Black: Alien Attack

Nice. I would have Gringotts as 3, Mummy as 4, MIB sat 5, and Kong as 6

We were going by Kong when the park was closing and the TM"s were saying "Last Call" My wife and I decided to take one last ride and discovered we were the only ones on the car. What a trip! They told us to get in row 12 for the best experience We bounced all over the car and laughed our A$$ off. Took a chance the next nite with our daughter and
were only riders again. Wow! TM's were great. If you get the chance, its well worth it.

Looking back at some old tweets. If true wonder what scene 9 was supposed to be? That exit hallway does seem like it’s missing something. Maybe another scare actor?
It was rumored that the Kong AA would be at the end like the old Kong static figure on the original ride

But that was either misinformation or Creative realized that it was stuuuuupid

I am going to be totally honest about this but I think Universal Orlando kind of rushed to create Skull Island-Reign of Kong this attraction was not as big in terms of building size compared to the much better Kong attraction Kongfrontation which most of us miss to this day. I think an attraction like Kong could’ve used more space over at the third theme park in my opinion. This space could’ve been used for the rumored JP expansion into Jurassic World. That old rumored Jeep Safari Ride could’ve done well in this location. You guys can disagree with me but I just think JP missed out on expanding here. I know Jurassic World could’ve been done at a new park but again I think Universal should have waited to open this attraction once Kong:Skull Island came out. People say it’s based off of the 2017 flick which it clearly isn’t if you look at the screens. It is from the 2005 universal film King Kong. The Dino’s also tell it’s from 2005. I know Universal owns the rights to Kong but Kongfrontation wasn’t based off of a Universal film it was done by Paramount from the 1976 flick with Jeff Bridges. With this new MonsterVerse being done by Warner Bros. & Legendary Kong would’ve done far better at a fourth gate with more space along with Godzilla and his foes. Just my 2 cents. I know again their will be a ton of disagreements. You might think it sounds crazy but i thought the attraction was rushed because it was so similar to the studio tour. PS what about the experience we were supposed to see outside in Reign of Kong weren’t we supposed to see more? I read in the ride description the truck was supposed to be in a jungle with Natives meeting Kong too.

Last edited:
I am going to be totally honest about this but I think Universal Orlando kind of rushed to create Skull Island-Reign of Kong this attraction was not as big in terms of building size compared to the much better Kong attraction Kongfrontation which most of us miss to this day. I think an attraction like Kong could’ve used more space over at the third theme park in my opinion. This space could’ve been used for the rumored JP expansion into Jurassic World. That old rumored Jeep Safari Ride could’ve done well in this location. You guys can disagree with me but I just think JP missed out on expanding here. I know Jurassic World could’ve been done at a new park but again I think Universal should have waited to open this attraction once Kong:Skull Island came out. People say it’s based off of the 2017 flick which it clearly isn’t if you look at the screens. It is from the 2005 universal film King Kong. The Dino’s also tell it’s from 2005. I know Universal owns the rights to Kong but Kongfrontation wasn’t based off of a Universal film it was done by Paramount from the 1976 flick with Jeff Bridges. With this new MonsterVerse being done by Warner Bros. & Legendary Kong would’ve done far better at a fourth gate with more space along with Godzilla and his foes. Just my 2 cents. I know again their will be a ton of disagreements. You might think it sounds crazy but i thought the attraction was rushed because it was so similar to the studio tour. PS what about the experience we were supposed to see outside in Reign of Kong weren’t we supposed to see more? I read in the ride description the truck was supposed to be in a jungle with Natives meeting Kong too.
I certainly would have been nicer to have the JP Coaster over where Kong is (ironically, where it was rumored to go originally)...And a crazy Indian Jones style Kong ride in the new park

But, we got what we got and that's just fine

Even with the screenz, I still find Kong to be enjoyable. I usually am victim to the scare actor in the hallway though, so I'm probably so freaked out that the ride itself is nice and relaxing. I always find other guests' reactions interesting - some of them really get into it, and to be fair, the motion simulation in the 360 is pretty cool.

Here is my question what happens to Skull Island Reign of Kong if JP is replaced at IOA leaving the Jurassic Park franchise to move over at Fantastic Worlds to become Jurassic World. Will potter expand in the former JP section at IOA? Could Skull Island section expand into 1 or 2 more attractions if JP is taken out altogether at IOA?

Here is my question what happens to Skull Island Reign of Kong if JP is replaced at IOA leaving the Jurassic Park franchise to move over at Fantastic Worlds to become Jurassic World. Will potter expand in the former JP section at IOA? Could Skull Island section expand into 1 or 2 more attractions if JP is taken out altogether at IOA?
I seriously doubt that scenario will take place.

Ok so Jurassic Park stays and let’s say they do expand the current JP land don’t you think something has to be taken out if they want to expand JP into JW? Of course the arch would need a change to JW also if they even think about doing this at IOA. Or just save it for the 4th gate. Again it looks like we would only see one new attraction for JP at IOA since theirs no room to add a gyrosphere ride in IOA or the Jeep safari ride which would’ve been something that could’ve been at Skull Island Reign of Kong. Reign of Kong isn’t going anywhere so you can’t expand over their. Anyone have a map of where JP could expand at IOA? How many available acres are their?

Ok so Jurassic Park stays and let’s say they do expand the current JP land don’t you think something has to be taken out if they want to expand JP into JW? Of course the arch would need a change to JW also if they even think about doing this at IOA. Or just save it for the 4th gate. Again it looks like we would only see one new attraction for JP at IOA since theirs no room to add a gyrosphere ride in IOA or the Jeep safari ride which would’ve been something that could’ve been at Skull Island Reign of Kong. Reign of Kong isn’t going anywhere so you can’t expand over their. Anyone have a map of where JP could expand at IOA? How many available acres are their?

The thing being taken out to expand JP is the old Triceratops Encounter area next to the Discovery Center. We have a thread about it.

You won't be getting a gyrosphere or jeep ride in Orlando.