Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando Price Increases (General)

Jan 31, 2013
Just a heads up the parking price went up to $25 today, matching Disney's increase from last week.

$22->$25 for Regular
$35-->$40 for Prime (Aka Preferred)

Just given the state of the garage, this seems a bad move. Half the escalators and moving sidewalks were busted Wednesday night. (Literally half, coming to and from Jaws.) Signs are the roof are so sun-bleached they are illegible. And the parking crew is a special kind of stupid.

You may not like paying $25 at WDW but they (1) will park you quickly and safely anywhere/anytime other than EPCOT on a Food & Wine weekend and (2) make sure there's eventually a tram to give you a ride if you want it.

Universal doesn't need to compete in perceived quality on parking fees, this is a bad move. In fact they should have lowered those fees if they wanted to really cause waves.
I think they're still on the "we don't want to be perceived as cheaper" route that they've always been on....which I think it a mistake, as there is nothing wrong with being affordable

Universal doesn't need to compete in perceived quality on parking fees, this is a bad move. In fact they should have lowered those fees if they wanted to really cause waves.

I think they're still on the "we don't want to be perceived as cheaper" route that they've always been on....which I think it a mistake, as there is nothing wrong with being affordable
Parking is pure profit. They would never lower the costs. Disney upping their prices just gave them an excuse to do the same.

This is simply matching the prices of the competition. When Disney and SeaWorld start charging $25 for parking, that's now the going rate everywhere (although SeaWorld changes based on day/demand). When even the shopping malls have started charging for parking this is just the way things are.

Is it me or are these parking price increases far exceeding the prices of park tickets or annual passes percentage wise... that parking tickets have increased 100% in the past 12 years?

You are correct, but the parks have realized people will pay whatever they ask for parking. Very few guests are going to take a trip to a theme park and turn around and leave because they see what parking costs. Six Flags realized this years ago, and kept raising prices despite having no parking personnel directing cars other than the toll booth and entrance to the preferred parking areas, and discontinuing parking tram service at most parks while filling the parking lot with advertising. A few years ago I got to see the numbers for Six Flags and it was millions of dollars in pure profit.

I also think the parks are doing it to help offset the costs of all the added security checks they've needed to install. There's a lot of manpower and equipment needed for that enhanced screening and since security has no direct revenue stream the money has to come from somewhere.