What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Reboot (2018)

giphy.gif

Just got back from seeing it.

I really enjoyed it. It’s a lot of fun, especially if you see it in a full theater with people that love the original. There are quite a few clever throwbacks to the first one. It definitely has helped my Halloween mood kick into over drive.

Also, just a random thought: I feel like Michael should try taking some sort of Arts and Crafts class somewhere because he’s seemed to always enjoy those sorts of things. He just needs to find a new method of making them. Ya know like beads and string instead of human body parts.

I can’t imagine trying to explain the timeline to someone who is just getting into the franchise.

With that said, it was a fun movie. A lot of fan service. Just the one knock I have is one I’ve had since this was announced. I just never liked the idea of a 60 year old Michael Myers being a killing force after being in captivity for 40 years.

Dang, I was hoping it would beat Venom's opening weekend just because I really wanted to see all the corny headlines that would say "Halloween slashes Venom's OW Box Office". Close but no cigar.

I can’t imagine trying to explain the timeline to someone who is just getting into the franchise.

With that said, it was a fun movie. A lot of fan service. Just the one knock I have is one I’ve had since this was announced. I just never liked the idea of a 60 year old Michael Myers being a killing force after being in captivity for 40 years.

The first movie happened 40 years ago, the new one came out this year, and it largely ignored Halloween II, H20, and Resurrection as part of the Laurie Strode canon timeline in favor of Myers being a mindless killer again so no brother/sister relationship kind of stuff. As with Myers being a killing force, well, that's the whole point. He has something with a supernatural element that makes him unstoppable, even something that could easily kill normal human beings. That's what made him the terrifying serial killer in the horror movie history.

Dang, I was hoping it would beat Venom's opening weekend just because I really wanted to see all the corny headlines that would say "Halloween slashes Venom's OW Box Office". Close but no cigar.
It can still happen if Universal is highballing the Sunday drop.

I heard a lot of mixed stuff, but Im surprised how much I liked this. It was well written and extremely suspenseful, and I never found Michael Myers scary but this movie made him creepy as hell. It felt like a nightmare come to life, and Im glad some of the kills were as badass as they were. Like mentioned above, a lot of fan service, and some minor nitpicks like stuff that leads nowhere or minor plot inconveniences, but the movie feels like watching an 80s slasher in the modern day, and it works really well. I had fun, I'd recommend it.

Laurie was hyped to be such a badass and well prepared I found the final fight kind of redundant.

From the perspective of someone who loved the first film..

• This film was a trip, with a lot of great nods to the past, while being unique to itself.
  • Jamie Lee Curtis and Judy Greer were absolute delights
  • The Pacing and writing, was outstanding for a Halloween film
  • John Carpenter's score is ACES
  • That finale, was the best in the series, IMO.