Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Problem With Apu (Documentary, 2017)

Just to point out, this is not going to be a fix that can be easily made; as he is fully present with lines in the first Preshow room, along with having somewhat of a presence in the actual Kwik-E-Mart.

Just to point out, this is not going to be a fix that can be easily made; as he is fully present with lines in the first Preshow room, along with having somewhat of a presence in the actual Kwik-E-Mart.

He’s being written out of the show, meaning no new content, not written out of the canon.

I think this will mostly be a non-issue unless Groening insists on the ride pre-show changing.

He’s being written out of the show, meaning no new content, not written out of the canon.

I think this will mostly be a non-issue unless Groening insists on the ride pre-show changing.
Yes. There's still a ton of reruns with him in them. I'd be pretty sure they'll still run those.

Yet Reverend Lovejoy still remains.

And Cletus, Groundskeeper Willie, Comic Book Guy, Rich Texan, Bumblebee man. And really, just about everyone else.

We won’t even mention who voices Dedrick, Lou and Carl. The panic that would ensue if that came out in an article.

Before this turns into the “this is stupid” thread I actually urge everyone to watch “The Problem With Apu” and not assuming what’s in it. Instead of actually listening to the piece it sounds like they’re throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Yet Reverend Lovejoy still remains.

And Cletus, Groundskeeper Willie, Comic Book Guy, Rich Texan, Bumblebee man. And really, just about everyone else.

We won’t even mention who voices Dedrick, Lou and Carl. The panic that would ensue if that came out in an article.

I Only WISH there was a hispanic version of Apu. all we get is stupid Bumblebee man, he doesnt even have a backstory or anything, hes a prop. A PROP character for God's sake....
i would trade bumblebee for apu any day of the week. give me the most stereotypical latino store owner there is.
I mean look at FES from That 70s Show. one of my favorite characters. someone that while was made fun of, was a pretty nice representation on tv

ive always hated that Bumblebee man is not a real person, i dont even think he ever adds anything to the plots, besides jokes at his expense.

Also, Ive seen this video show up a lot on twitter, some people are saying this is the best counter argument against the Apu documentary that took the character down
I only watched half of it but he seems pretty on point

if Apu is offensive because of the accent, and because a white person is doing the voice, and for being stereotypical
Then there is another character that needs to change due to being equally offensive as well

220px-MarioSMBW.png

how long is it going to take for someone semi famous to bring up the same issues that makes Apu a bad character? what will universal do when controversy strikes?
you could make literally the same arguments with Mario than with Apu. specially the fact that a white man is doing a "funny voice" of a character from a specific country.

Last edited:
if Apu is offensive because of the accent, and because a white person is doing the voice, and for being stereotypical
Then there is another character that needs to change due to being equally offensive as well

220px-MarioSMBW.png

how long is it going to take for someone semi famous to bring up the same issues that makes Apu a bad character? what will universal do when controversy strikes?
you could make the same arguments with Mario than with Apu. specially the fact that a white man is doing a "funny voice" of a character from a specific place.

When Odyssey was coming out, some people got up in arms about Mario wearing a mariachi outfit. Nintendo essentially responded to this by not caring or acknowledging it. Everyone moved on. I'd expect the same to happen if/when this ever rolls around.