Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

I feel like that show has been the closest to "Stranger Things" hype since ST; but not to that scale.

It's the safest bet - but yes, not a lock.

While Hill House may not be front page news anymore, IMO thanks in large part to Sabrina’s more recent debut, it seems to be gaining steam quietly instead. Also, I feel like Universal has done houses with less popularity, or at least less relevancy, without issue.

On the topic of Sabrina though it’s being sued which worries me a little.

Yep. And we know Miramax isn’t interested in playing.

(That’s a hint for spec this year, everyone... relevant Miramax and WB aren’t impossible but unlikely)

I live literally and figuratively in the Orlando bubble--so the WB event did well? Well enough that they might expand it to other markets? I think UOR is out but there are other potential partners around the Halloween mecca of Orlando.

Not too crazy. Even some people I know who like them agree it needs to go as it's just the same thing every year it's been around and it only appeals to a certain demographic whereas I felt like something like a B&T (or the Beetlejuice show that was proposed last year) are the types of shows that appeal to larger crowds.

Also, it can't be cheap to house performers from L.A. for 2 months when you have a large pool of local dancers willing to work for less than Equity actors at your disposal.

Not too crazy. Even some people I know who like them agree it needs to go as it's just the same thing every year it's been around and it only appeals to a certain demographic whereas I felt like something like a B&T (or the Beetlejuice show that was proposed last year) are the types of shows that appeal to larger crowds.
You guys are WILD.

AOV hit capacity MOST shows and the Guests LOVE it. It’s one of the highest rated shows universal has ever done.

There’s a reason they printed merch for it the last week.

I live literally and figuratively in the Orlando bubble--so the WB event did well? Well enough that they might expand it to other markets? I think UOR is out but there are other potential partners around the Halloween mecca of Orlando.
Whether it did well or not in its first year is largely irrelevant. It’ll be an investment for WB for at least three years (likely five). During that time, they’re going to retain their best IPs.

Horror From Here will get cancelled if it doesn’t show growth. Whether that happens are not is hard to say. Their haunt designs felt far more “regional” than “premier” but their film access is almost impossible to beat.

Unlikely but what I would like to see at HHN 29:

Theme is post-apocalyptic with Eddie as icon. He has turned hhn into his Run game show. The only haven from the nuclear wasteland is to be a part of his game. Each house and scarezone is tied together by being a part of the arena of horrors he has created.

Scare Zones:

Plaza of the Stars: Icon scare zone with tons of fog, strobes, and chainsaws. Shrek queue won’t likely be used so chainsaws could go here along with corpses and Eddie for a creepy entrance.

Hollywood: Leave it To Cleaver, a human barbecue scarezone with tons of gore

Central Park: 50’s monsters, this area rather than pumpkins could have cocoons and people dressed as grotesque versions of 50’s B-movie characters in black/white

New York: Dark Christmas, similar to the one at Hollywood, void have Christmas tree with human heads as ornaments and evil elfs running around

Simpsons Area/ San Fran: Roaming Hordes dressed as contestant in Run wielding different weapons (thibk Run 25 characters outside) speakers would play game commentary in non-zone areas

Diagon Alley: Death Eaters, the alleys would make for an awesome scarezone, with fog pumping and people dressed as werewolves, death eaters, and dementors on stilts, doesn’t even need face characters

Shows:
Beeteljuice thing in FFL
AOV in Animal Actors Theater
Eddie Icon Kill Show on Hollywood Stage

Houses:

Stranger Things 2: Ss26, given but house would be more like AWIL with lots of demidog puppets and Upside Down

RUN Final Round: Ss 22, the icon house themed like a Blade Runner gameshow, extreme gore/ violence house

Masquerade Unstitched: Ss 24a, themed like Venice during the Plague, gothic like, as you go through the house dancers faces are continuously pealed back to reveal more disfigurement

Black Hole: Ss 24b, alien themed with tons of optical illusions and spotty lighting, you are entering a new dimension in space, spinning tunnel could be used again and bungees

The Last Of Us: Ss 25, would like to see this come as the game really lends itself to a house and a new game is coming, Universal already has clicker costumes(Sox) too,( AHS could work here otherwise)

Mib Tent: Chucky, hellraiser, or a blumhouse, tent can stay as the promotional synergy house with any of these properties

Sprung Tent 2: KKFOS, enter into circus tent, comedy house of the year, but could have creepy scenes with police station and giant clown

Spring Tent 1: Nuketown, themed like a 50s subdivision after a nuclear test, the pinnacle of a mannequin house, with tons of test dummies and actors interspersed among them, placements could change through event too

New Parade Building: Nightinggales sequel, this time you are on the Lusitania, and the banshees Attack the boat causing it to start sinking

Old Parade Building: Haunting of Hill House, awesome show, would be awesome house

hqdefault.jpg
how do i make you like me?

You guys are WILD.

AOV hit capacity MOST shows and the Guests LOVE it. It’s one of the highest rated shows universal has ever done.

I can't recall any positive posts about it on twitter or fb.
But i did see negative ones

You guys are WILD.

This is interesting as I heard the first week or so the show wasn’t pulling in the same numbers as B&T did the prior year (while the event was more crowded). Good to hear they drew more guests as the event went on. The GSAT number is a new bit of info.

Would love to see the numbers on this show.

This is interesting as I heard the first week or so the show wasn’t pulling in the same numbers as B&T did the prior year (while the event was more crowded). Good to hear they drew more guests as the event went on. The GSAT number is a new bit of info.

Bill and Ted was nutty last year since it was the Farewell Tour. But i sat in plenty of empty Bill & Ted’s from 2002-2017.

I know they've done a couple of video game related houses in the past, but haven't really done any since. Is there a reason for this?

Silent Hill was more based off the movies and Resident Evil was game based but has the plus that it is a movie franchise. Video games take a long time to play so my guess is that A&D would rather do video games that have film adaptions since they don’t have to play through the whole games.

So, assuming we did get Hellraiser, who would they obtain the rights through? I know Dimension owns 3-The recent one so I just wonder who owns the first 2

Since there's been a recent trend to do one house per year based upon a classic horror movie from the 70s-80s, I'm hoping that we somehow get David Cronenberg's "The Fly" next year.

You guys are WILD.

It was filled up every show because there are 10 houses and ONE show. People need to sit down and just be entertained at some point.

The two times I went to see it it was absolutely PACKED (one was a Wednesday). I walked in late on my first viewing specifically because I had heard attendance was lower and boy was that wrong. Got an off to the side spot, which was horrible viewing for the show, as it was a show made to be seen from the center.

Last edited:
Quiet Place would be tough to make work. It doesn’t really have scares outside of the huge monsters so making puppets for all the scares would be hard to do. Only
Way to make it work would be an upgrade house IMO with the set up of making it out “alive.” Have to stay quiet or be eaten. Wouldn’t really happen though.

Good point about A Quiet Place, my first thought was Yes! but I don't think it could work with the constant chaos style of houses that Universal mostly has... I feel like it really would only work with pulsing because the whole terrror in that movie is trying to be quiet.

Also I think we talk too definitively about how good/bad houses are. I feel like it's up to individual interpretation and each run through. For example. I liked this years Blumhouse house better than last years? I loved the Halloween 4 house even though I thought the movie sucked. I thought the SAW house last year was fantastically scary though many disagreed. I didn't think Dead Exposure or ... Scarecrow were as amazing as everyone else thought....

So I think to the general population Michael popping out with loud noises and a knife might not be the most creative thing ever... but I'm sure it scares them.

Just my two cents.

Except for The Walking Dead house from 2015.... everyone can agree that SUCKED!

I know they've done a couple of video game related houses in the past, but haven't really done any since. Is there a reason for this?

Im no sure they were that well received.
And something i remember people saying about resident evil and videogames in general is that " they cant be scary and are for children"

I remember asking why the house came off as so goofy and colorful and i think someone here went " well it is based on a game, thats how it is supposed to be"

Thats why i think five nights at freedys would fit well. Because people already associate games with being for kids

(Doom would be Perfect for hhn because of how wacky and over the top the violence is and because of how recognizable it is. Everyone knows doom.
And the costumes for the demon house the fallen already looked like Doom characters.
Doom would be recognizable enough and easy enough )