Six Flags In Talks to Buy SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment? | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags In Talks to Buy SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think...it depends.

For one, Elephants & Orcas would be the big subject of this, considering Discovery Kingdom if I'm not mistaken has had to remove those species. And, depending on how the ink is painted, may negatively (or positively) affect any and all projects for the 2020 Operational Season (exc. Gwazi Revamp).

However, it'd give Six Flags the Theme Park rights presumably to Sesame Street; which may be big depending on who's asking. And for SeaWorld, it'd possibly give a new lease for the water parks in San Antonio and San Diego.

But, the big concern I have, is if this is should be a reality or not. Honestly, I think it would lead to a lot of negative results, before something positive turns out.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Behind the Thrills are hardly reliable. I have seen so many ridiculous leaks and rumors from them over the years, 99% of which never happen.

It seems that every few months there is a new rumor about someone buying SeaWorld. First Universal were going to buy SeaWorld property and flatten it (never happened), then Merlin were going to be buying the Busch Gardens parks (never happened), then Parques Reunidos were going to be buying the whole chain (never happened), and now this, which if I were to place a bet I would say is not going to happen.

I'm skeptical, I don't think Six Flags would particularly want all the baggage attached to the SeaWorld brand. I think if they bought the Busch parks alone that would be more logical and less risky for them.

If it does happen, I will be absolutely gutted. SeaWorld and Busch Gardens are unique and high quality theme parks, I don't want Six Flags to be covering the parks in endless commercials and increasing cost cutting. I also fear that they would almost instantly remove Killer Whales from SeaWorld and Elephants from Busch Gardens, just as they have done at Discovery Kingdom.

Hopefully it won't happen.

Reactions: Magic-Man
I know Six Flags almost acquired Cedar Fair years ago when Kinzel was stepping down, and they had made an offer for the AB parks when In-Bev went to sell them off, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

If you truly care about the animals, this is a terrible move. If anyone thinks for a second that Six Flags will keep the care up to the level with Sea World’s current AZA certification, they are crazy.

That’s the saddest part for me.
I would hate to see SWSD turn into Discovery Kingdom. Screw that park.

Reactions: Andysol
Yet another rumor for Six Flags potentially buying the parks. I'm not biting.
However, if it were to happen, the parks would be ruined. Six Flags is fine for what they are. However, these parks will begin to look like their other parks with cheap theming and crap operations.

Be mindful that BTT wasn't the source, they just shared it (for those who thought it's from them). Themed Reality is (says so in the article). I don't know who they are, so still consider the source...lol

upload_2018-11-7_3-43-1.png

I know none of you will like what I have to say but its just my opinion. Since Manby took over SeaWorld it has been destined for the path to become a park like Six Flags. I said it all the time back then and I still agree with it today. So to see Six Flags take over would not surprise me at all. Even since the new CEO has took over nothing has changed on that front. The park is becoming less animal focused and more ride focused. Thats the reality really.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I know none of you will like what I have to say but its just my opinion. Since Manby took over SeaWorld it has been destined for the path to become a park like Six Flags. I said it all the time back then and I still agree with it today. So to see Six Flags take over would not surprise me at all. Even since the new CEO has took over nothing has changed on that front. The park is becoming less animal focused and more ride focused. Thats the reality really.

...and that's the direction they should go. SeaWorld of the past strived with animal's as their main focus because it was the only place they could see them before the days of YouTube and Google. And now with everyone caring for animals and such, animal practices have become a lot more strict, to the point where animals start being removed.

People want thrill rides now. A balanced park with both coasters and animals is the current initiative that should work.

SeaWorld are not removing or moving away from animal attractions. I don't understand the constant SeaWorld criticism from certain people for moving away from animals. The fact remains that the parks haven't removed a single animal exhibit or show without replacing it with another animal exhibit or show.

I always thought Six Flags Over Georgia was one of the obstacles, as the owners (its not owned by Six Flags) raised objections to any Florida park.

I know none of you will like what I have to say but its just my opinion. Since Manby took over SeaWorld it has been destined for the path to become a park like Six Flags. I said it all the time back then and I still agree with it today. So to see Six Flags take over would not surprise me at all. Even since the new CEO has took over nothing has changed on that front. The park is becoming less animal focused and more ride focused. That's the reality really.
I see where you would think that...Sea World was relying too much on its Orcas though...I think the addition of more attractions, while continuing to tie them in with animal exhibits, gives them the upper hand on parks like Six Flags

While animals aren't "going away", the rides seem to be the focus right now in an effort to flesh out the park a bit more. I think Manby was fixing the errors that he saw in a way that he knew