Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hmm, while 10 years for a "original" house to return isn't the most accurate measurement as some have shown up way earlier then that, I'd be totally down for a sequel to Silver Screams. Heck, considering what else was a part of 2009 -and- the success of Hollywood's UCM which was certainly noticed by Orlando...how about Silver Screams with the overarching theme of the Classic Monsters? That feels downright perfect in every way.

Stranger Things 2 will be the headlining marketing image next year.

Reactions: therock and Legacy
Hmm, while 10 years for a "original" house to return isn't the most accurate measurement as some have shown up way earlier then that, I'd be totally down for a sequel to Silver Screams. Heck, considering what else was a part of 2009 -and- the success of Hollywood's UCM which was certainly noticed by Orlando...how about Silver Screams with the overarching theme of the Classic Monsters? That feels downright perfect in every way.

I think that's probably the only way you they could pull it off--HHN isn't a regional event anymore, and the internet is far more powerful than it was a decade ago. Rooms featuring generic "Guy with Pins in his Head" and "Home Invaders in Blank White Masks" would get them slapped with a cease & desist letter by September 15 these days.

For the record, wish the Universal Monsters were featured at every HHN--at least one per year. That said, like Jack, I imagine they'll hold off and bring them back for the 30th.

I think that's probably the only way you they could pull it off--HHN isn't a regional event anymore, and the internet is far more powerful than it was a decade ago. Rooms featuring generic "Guy with Pins in his Head" and "Home Invaders in Blank White Masks" would get them slapped with a cease & desist letter by September 15 these days.

For the record, wish the Universal Monsters were featured at every HHN--at least one per year. That said, like Jack, I imagine they'll hold off and bring them back for the 30th.

I don't know 29 or 30, but I think they're coming sooner rather than later; they're not putting the effort into the update Monsters branding for nothing.

Agreed, they're no longer in a position where they can dance around a IP like that. An with anthology houses, if it's IP-based, they're better off using IP's they own to avoid any issues. For me the Classic Monsters are honestly the best fit for that, so Silver Screams with them would be great. On the flipside, houses like H.R. Bloodengutz and Slaughter Sinema are great settings for any original creations. (Now I've seen some people clamoring for both a H.R.B. and SS sequel for 2019, but considering both are right in the campy side of horror, I'd say just one or the other since they'd be way too similar together.)

As for the UCM being held off till the 30th, for me it's hard to say. It all depends on what kind of direction they'd want to take it in. XX was more about ushering in a new era, so the houses were more new ideas. If XXX is more about looking towards the future, I don't know if they'd use the UCM that much. However if the direction is celebrating the past, then I'd be inclined to agree they'll be using them.

Agreed, they're no longer in a position where they can dance around a IP like that. An with anthology houses, if it's IP-based, they're better off using IP's they own to avoid any issues. For me the Classic Monsters are honestly the best fit for that, so Silver Screams with them would be great. On the flipside, houses like H.R. Bloodengutz and Slaughter Sinema are great settings for any original creations. (Now I've seen some people clamoring for both a H.R.B. and SS sequel for 2019, but considering both are right in the campy side of horror, I'd say just one or the other since they'd be way too similar together.)

As for the UCM being held off till the 30th, for me it's hard to say. It all depends on what kind of direction they'd want to take it in. XX was more about ushering in a new era, so the houses were more new ideas. If XXX is more about looking towards the future, I don't know if they'd use the UCM that much. However if the direction is celebrating the past, then I'd be inclined to agree they'll be using them.

With an HRB sequel, it would be best for the features presented to share an overlapping theme. However, it's not clear how he would host them from prison, lol. Of course, I've pitched the idea of him hosting a Uni classic monster marathon while he and other inmates hold the guards hostage. So kill two birds with one stone?

Or do sort of a BTTF story--he and other inmates break out, he leads them to the studio and holds them hostage? Hoping to see sequels to that, In-Between and Nightingales in the next two years.

Last edited:
Remember when a scareactor playing the Usher wrote "C U Next Year" in blood during the final set of 25?

Remember when a lot of people swore it was a clue that Usher would come back and feature at 26?

Remember when that didn't happen?

Not everything is a clue.
but that was the scareactor's choice, he was saying he was coming back next year since he's a returning scareactor. it wasn't something creative told him to do. but "i'll be back" in cg was chosen by creative, they told the set designer to put it there as a easter egg.

Reactions: RevFreako
Remember when a scareactor playing the Usher wrote "C U Next Year" in blood during the final set of 25?

Remember when a lot of people swore it was a clue that Usher would come back and feature at 26?

Remember when that didn't happen?

Not everything is a clue.

Obviously they can't have it in the main event marketing, but are they allowed to have a house featuring a non-Jack icon? Scream House, for instance?

I'm hoping that they keep at least the same number of originals, since all the love this year seemed to go Stranger Things and Poltergeist (to be fair those were the two best IP houses IMO). What were GSATs for the originals like?

Last edited:
but that was the scareactor's choice, he was saying he was coming back next year since he's a returning scareactor. it wasn't something creative told him to do. but "i'll be back" in cg was chosen by creative, they told the set designer to put it there as a easter egg.
It was a leftover prop. More specifically, the sign was from JACK'S show (nevermind that Jack and Eddie are the only two characters that wouldn't have been out of place in CG).

I could say they'll do Eddie next year because the Run sign was in the house.

Or that In-Between and Ghost Town are coming back because they were referenced in SoX.

Universal has done actual teasers before. They had Blood Alley the last night of 2009 (where all the icons appeared). They flashed Jack in a video at the end of 24. Reusing props, videos, graphics, etc, aren't clues. They're cost-savings that give hard core fans a sense of recognition and ownership. They're Easter eggs.

During 20, Patrick told the cast of Catacombs there was a clue for 21 in the house. We scoured that house, closing night. Reviewing everything we thought it could be with the lights on. The only thing we figured it could be was "Death" as a icon. The word was capitalized on a wall, part of a passage where capitalizing it made no grammatical sense. We thought it meant Death was the icon.

If there was a clue, it was impossible to find. Or it never existed.

So, not everything is a clue.

Last edited:
Ripped from the Silver Screen was the only event I missed since ‘07 but it seems like almost everything (houses, streets, shows) were directly tied to movies and everything else indirectly. Bringing back The Usher and the theater would be confusing if the emphasis will be on Netflix shows.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
It was a leftover prop. More specifically, the sign was from JACK'S show (nevermind that Jack and Eddie are the only two characters that wouldn't have been out of place in CG).

I could say they'll do Eddie next year because the Run sign was in the house.

Or that In-Between and Ghost Town are coming back because they were referenced in SoX.

Universal has done actual teasers before. They had Blood Alley the last night of 2019 (where all the icons appeared). They flashed Jack in a video at the end of 24. Reusing props, videos, graphics, etc, aren't clues. They're cost-savings that give hard core fans a sense of recognition and ownership. They're Easter eggs.

During 20, Patrick told the cast of Catacombs there was a clue for 21 in the house. We scoured that house, closing night. Reviewing everything we thought it could be with the lights on. The only thing we figured it could be was "Death" as a icon. The word was capitalized on a wall, part of a passage where capitalizing it made no grammatical sense. We thought it meant Death was the icon.

If there was a clue, it was impossible to find. Or it never existed.

So, not everything is a clue.

“Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.” -Freud

Ya'll are obsessed with icons

Hot Take from someone who missed the heyday of the icons:

It's because when done right, they make the event significantly better.

25 stands head and shoulders above the other 7 years I've been to because of how great Jack was incorporated. There's no reason why that can't be a more common occurrence, and I don't blame people for wanting more of that.

I'm sure they will be back, but not headlining...The IPs will be marketing focus (of course)

I mean that's fine, but it's not like the IPs took a backseat to Jack in the marketing for 25. Jason and Freddy (and Ghostface originally) were front and center in the marketing for 25.

Reactions: dxwwf3
I'm sure they will be back, but not headlining...The IPs (and Jack) will be marketing focus (of course)

That's what I meant. So I hope at least Albert and Paulo get Chance's status. Since them and Jack are the three best *LEGAL* icons they have.

Very random question, but was crowd flow the reason they changed the story from photography to blindness in DE2? I say that because teh only thing keeping it from being a GOAT for me was lack of overarching audio. With the blindness story, as I've said multiple times, the news reports from the trailer would've been great.

Last edited:
Hot Take from someone who missed the heyday of the icons:

It's because when done right, they make the event significantly better.

25 stands head and shoulders above the other 7 years I've been to because of how great Jack was incorporated. There's no reason why that can't be a more common occurrence, and I don't blame people for wanting more of that.
Effectively incorporating a consistent theme, period, makes the event better. It doesn't necessarily have to be an icon. 2004 was an amazing year, without an icon, because the "Breaking Point" idea lingered throughout the whole event.
Very random question, but was crowd flow the reason they changed the story from photography to blindness in DE2?
It's a different house, with a different story. From my understanding, "photography" was never the point of Patient Zero during its development.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Effectively incorporating a consistent theme, period, makes the event better. It doesn't necessarily have to be an icon. 2004 was an amazing year, without an icon, because the "Breaking Point" idea lingered throughout the whole event.

I felt like this year was on the cusp of having a consistent theme--which is a marked improvement over last year, IMO. Heck, it still somehow felt more consistent then the Chance hodgepodge (that may be just because I didn't like her as an icon). But yeah, I agree with you.

Reactions: jrn14