Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

With how saturated the market has become, I've been losing interest in Spider-man (and superhero movies, as a whole) in recent years, so it's refreshing to get a new perspective and with some absolutely gorgeous animation, to boot. I'm excited.

Folks over at Collider, Slash Film, Gizmodo/I09 & others are also raving & gushing over this film; with most having it as their favorite animated film of the year, and one of the best Superhero movies of the year.
In a year where this isn’t even the only animated Superhero movie and box office and critical smashes like Black Panther and Infinity War were released (not to mention Deadpool 2), that says a lot.

In a year where this isn’t even the only animated Superhero movie and box office and critical smashes like Black Panther and Infinity War were released (not to mention Deadpool 2), that says a lot.

I was thinking of that too, and it really makes me interested if Sony may (or already is) push this to get nominated for best animated film.

To also bring this up.. (for now).

Rotten Tomatoes: 100%
Metacritic: 82%

And from the outlets, so-far..

Variety
Collider
The Verge
The Guardian
I09
Vox

I was thinking of that too, and it really makes me interested if Sony may (or already is) push this to get nominated for best animated film.

To also bring this up.. (for now).

Rotten Tomatoes: 100%
Metacritic: 82%

And from the outlets, so-far..

Variety
Collider
The Verge
The Guardian
I09
Vox
The Academy will always vote for Disney.

Remember when The LEGO Movie lost to Monsters University?

LEGO Movie lost to Big Hero 6, which I thought was pretty appalling since I thought the former and How To Train Your Dragon 2 were better. But I agree with your point: movies like this one that subvert their genre rarely get love.

Oh, I am very much confident in thinking that they will always vote for Disney to win. But, I would not be shocked if it gets nominated, even if it only gets that: a Nomination.

This looks to me like a loving tribute to the Spider-Man universe as a whole just like The LEGO Batman movie was to the Caped Crusader (and don't get me started on The Boss Baby being nominated over that movie).

Neither of those were nominated for an academy award. That was a weird year. Disney usually deserves it when they win overall.

Annies: HTTYD2
Academy Awards: Big Hero 6
Golden Globe: HTTYD2
BAFTA: The Lego Movie

Honestly, I am going to be interested if Spider-Man wins the Annie award, more than the Academy's.

Just got back from this,

As others have said, this movie is a honest-to-god comic book come to life. I love that they went with this style and cranked it up to a level possibly attainable by a touch of LSD. (Now fair warning, this film will assault your retinas like you wouldn't believe. But man, it just looks so friggin' good.)

The action scenes are really good, the soundtrack is a banger, and there's plenty of heart and humor I'd expect a Spiderman movie to have.

Overall, it's a great Spiderman movie, a great superhero film in general which is saying something in a already stacked year, and as for a animated film, for me it's bar none the best one this year.

So, this is looking at about a $35 million opening, which is good, but not great. Normally, movies released during this timeframe can hold up well over the holidays (like The Greatest Showman). Hopefully with the upcoming Hollywood bloodbath of this week's new releases, this won't get lost among the competition.

So, this is looking at about a $35 million opening, which is good, but not great.

It should also be noted this is actually the biggest opening for a animated film in December. So that does lessen the visual sting of it being 35 million. While the following weekend is gonna' be stuffed with films, the universal positive word of mouth can also help.

It should also be noted this is actually the biggest opening for a animated film in December. So that does lessen the visual sting of it being 35 million. While the following weekend is gonna' be stuffed with films, the universal positive word of mouth can also help.
It will also be the only new animated release among the crop of blockbusters so that may help it have some staying power.