Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

Years ago now (before they put non-disclosures on them), a post-HHN survey went in-depth on a potential all King event. I'm sure they've reached out to him in the past. And I think it's also likely last year's Shining house wouldn't have happened if he'd shown the slightest bit of interest.
I think one of the books I read on Universal said they also did some concept work on a ride that was basically a King best-of.

That makes more sense. Unfortunately for us, basing a house off of a book rather than a movie with preestablished (and well known) visuals is a bit harder to do.

Wonder if that made Warner Bros work extra hard to have their IT house.

Any idea what advertising email this was? Something for HHN? To be fair, if it had mentioned Stanley Kubrick, it would have been a no brainer.

I recall it was an email sent to travel agents.

Yep. The travel agent email was leaked a few days before The Shining was scheduled to be announced, and referred to it as “Stephen King’s.” King saw it and called the lawyers to try and stop the entire house (which he couldn’t do). He could stop them from mentioning him though.

In regards to IT, Warner Bros may have stipulated in the contract for the rights that the FILM rights could used in a haunt, but would include some sort of quality control to satisfy King.

Yep. The travel agent email was leaked a few days before The Shining was scheduled to be announced, and referred to it as “Stephen King’s.” King saw it and called the lawyers to try and stop the entire house (which he couldn’t do). He could stop them from mentioning him though.

In regards to IT, Warner Bros may have stipulated in the contract for the rights that the FILM rights could used in a haunt, but would include some sort of quality control to satisfy King.

I think IT may be out of King's hands; WB mat have gotten those rights outright when they did the miniseries.

King saw it and called the lawyers to try and stop the entire house (which he couldn’t do). He could stop them from mentioning him though.

Dang. SeventyOne was definitely on the dot. The King ship has sailed. And from what I know of Stephen King, no amount of buttering up or waving money in his face is going to change his mind.

Think the thing with King is he signed the rights to books away when young and naive, and hated the way they were portrayed on screen. Ever since he has been ultra protective, and would only allow screen adaptations where he had sufficient creative oversight. Which is fair enough - it’s his hard work and he wants it done right.

Some people are stubborn and set in their ways, and sometimes there’s nothing you can do to change their minds. I think he’s worried that nothing a haunt can pull off will live up to his expectations and therefore won’t entertain the idea at all. Again, this is his hard work and can do what he wants with it.
Then how did he allow The Dark Tower to be such a godawful movie? :lol:

Then how did he allow The Dark Tower to be such a godawful movie? :lol:

Bruce Campbell plays a game at his QA sessions, I think he calls it You're the Producer, where he lists off Oscars and accolades by the dozens that a given production crew had collected, then asks if you'd make their next film. When you say yes, he responds, "Congratulations, you just made Congo." On paper, everything about that film screamed masterpiece; sometimes, the magic just isn't there.

Bruce Campbell plays a game at his QA sessions, I think he calls it You're the Producer, where he lists off Oscars and accolades by the dozens that a given production crew had collected, then asks if you'd make their next film. When you say yes, he responds, "Congratulations, you just made Congo." On paper, everything about that film screamed masterpiece; sometimes, the magic just isn't there.

Also applies to theme park attractions!!!

According to him (or at least quotes in the pre-release buzz), Dark Tower is a great representation of his work, and he loves it.

I think publicists put words into King's mouth more often than not. Just look at some of his book recommendations.

Like which? He essentially brought us Clive Barker, Bentley Little and Jack Ketchum, and for my part, thatst the Four Horsemen of twentieth century horror.

Like which? He essentially brought us Clive Barker, Bentley Little and Jack Ketchum, and for my part, thatst the Four Horsemen of twentieth century horror.

Don't get me wrong. He's done wonders for horror literature (especially birthing Joe Hill). I'm speaking more for his modern cover blurbs and lists.

Most of the time they're simple platitudes that imply that he's never even touched the book, let alone read it. Combine that with, those generic blurbs are typically on a Simon and Schuster (or subsidiary) book, and it looks even fishier.

Don't get me wrong. He's done wonders for horror literature (especially birthing Joe Hill). I'm speaking more for his modern cover blurbs and lists.

Most of the time they're simple platitudes that imply that he's never even touched the book, let alone read it. Combine that with, those generic blurbs are typically on a Simon and Schuster (or subsidiary) book, and it looks even fishier.

I'll give you that, but blurb-trading is just part of how publishing works. I don't think iceI ever been steered wrong by any of his actual recommendations, from his Twitter or his long time EW column.

I'll give you that, but blurb-trading is just part of how publishing works. I don't think iceI ever been steered wrong by any of his actual recommendations, from his Twitter or his long time EW column.

Agreed. Not totally blaming him. His name carries a lot of weight, so he's used more than other authors.

You just have to consider the source, and where they quote may have come from before automatically picking something up solely on his "recommendation".

You and I should discuss my theory about the writing relationship between him and Joe Hill some time.

Agreed. Not totally blaming him. His name carries a lot of weight, so he's used more than other authors.

You just have to consider the source, and where they quote may have come from before automatically picking something up solely on his "recommendation".

You and I should discuss my theory about the writing relationship between him and Joe Hill some time.

My theory on Joe Hill is that he's as good now as his old man was circa 77-86, and if he manages to avoid his father's demons, he'll be better before long.

Think the thing with King is he signed the rights to books away when young and naive, and hated the way they were portrayed on screen. Ever since he has been ultra protective, and would only allow screen adaptations where he had sufficient creative oversight. Which is fair enough - it’s his hard work and he wants it done right.

That's kinda funny given how many of the made for TV adaptations are really, really bad from a production value.

That's kinda funny given how many of the made for TV adaptations are really, really bad from a production value.

No surprise. They were made when TV events were a thing, and they were made very often on shoestring budgets with performers who were under contract to the networks. Most of them punch above their weight class.

Ticket question, I know there's normally another thread for tickets but not really worth starting one just for this I think.

If I buy ROF+Ex and use it a few nights, can I later upgrade it to FF+Ex before it is due to expire? Or can I only upgrade before first use?

Appreciate answers will be based on previous years rules, not guaranteed hhn29 info

Thanks

Ticket question, I know there's normally another thread for tickets but not really worth starting one just for this I think.

If I buy ROF+Ex and use it a few nights, can I later upgrade it to FF+Ex before it is due to expire? Or can I only upgrade before first use?

Appreciate answers will be based on previous years rules, not guaranteed hhn29 info

Thanks

In prior years they’ve allowed upgrades BUT I’ve also heard of them denying upgrades I’d you visit on days your upgraded ticket would not have covered.

Example: Buying RoF and going on a Saturday and being denied an upgrade because FF and FFP doesn’t cover Saturday’s.