Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

MIB: Alien Attack Revamp?

Jul 26, 2016
Hi,

I’ve watched this forum for a few years but never interacted before! I just had a thought after watching the new MIB International trailer relating to the ride at the Studios. Now that MIB is the only piece of World Expo (assuming Fear Factor is on the chopping block) after Back to the Future, the International Food Court and the Wild West Stunt Show have all been replaced, how reasonable would it be for MIB to get a London overlay to connect it to the London area of Diagonal Alley, considering that’s where the new spinoff is set?

The ride system would be the same with a similar layout. Obviously the new interior of the offices and lobby would be updated to the version in the movie/ swap out the New York sets for the streets of London/ switch out or bring in new aliens with new placements to make the ride feel more fresh and then alter the outside to make it slightly more like a London facade but still be able to differentiate it as a MIB facility. Then you’d get the new actors (Chris Hemsworth, Tessa Thompson and Liam Neeson are all massive pulls) to film video clips such as Will Smith and Rip Torn and update the carts and guns a bit because the system is from 2000.

It’d still be called Men In Black: Alien Attack but it wouldn’t be so distant as World Expo sitting in between Springfield and London. Just a thought because the ride is still very popular, the re-rideability aspect is still there and hoping the new movie does very well, I can’t see it as being too much of an issue. It’s be similar to the Hulk revamp but with MIB. I know Mummy is another one people say should get a revamp to update the ride system/ fire effects/ projection room but I think MIB would be better at this time, especially after the results of The Dark Universe Mummy.

What do you guys think?

P.S. Friends and family I’ve suggested this to have said they’ll ride it many times just because of Hemsworth even though they’d get sick haha

First, welcome!

I think it would be a good idea for Universal to do something like this if they decided to keep MIB around.

Unfortunately, if I was a betting man, I think it's more likely that they'll close MIB. The ride system is (allegedly) no longer supported by the manufacturer, and unless the new movie does really, really well, the IP just isn't all that relevant.

I hope it sticks around, as it's an all time favorite, but I'm not holding out too much hope.

Welcome.

I'm all for it. A complete refurb of the ride to fit MIB International would be great. Heck, I'd be all in on them going trackless with it (imagine trying to shoot the other vehicle while it's swerving around you).

I hope Universal is waiting to see how International does. While MiB "can" get replaced, in no way does that mean it "should." It remains one of the most enjoyable rides in Orlando.

I agree with both points. Now thinking about it, trackless would be a total plus to the ride and add a whole new element to the fight against the invasion. And if that’s the case with manufacturer, that’s a bummer. Here’s to hoping to the success of international because I think it’d really round that side of the park off nicely with Springfield and Diagon. Thanks for the response!

And even if nothing happens, the ride still serves as a wonderful experience for guests as is.

Do you think appearances in other projects or using likeness in other projects other than the film is currently in the actors’ contract? Or would that have to be negotiated after the fact if they do decide to do something?

Welcome.

I'm all for it. A complete refurb of the ride to fit MIB International would be great. Heck, I'd be all in on them going trackless with it (imagine trying to shoot the other vehicle while it's swerving around you).

I hope Universal is waiting to see how International does. While MiB "can" get replaced, in no way does that mean it "should." It remains one of the most enjoyable rides in Orlando.

I agree with both points. Now thinking about it, trackless would be a total plus to the ride and add a whole new element to the fight against the invasion. And if that’s the case with manufacturer, that’s a bummer. Here’s to hoping to the success of international because I think it’d really round that side of the park off nicely with Springfield and Diagon. Thanks for the response!

And even if nothing happens, the ride still serves as a wonderful experience for guests as is.

Do you think appearances in other projects or using likeness in other projects other than the film is currently in the actors’ contract? Or would that have to be negotiated after the fact if they do decide to do something?
Welcome to the boards! :cheers: Trackless MIB would be awesome :)
Also, inside The Big Bug at the end, there used to be a lot of fog and water squirt effects to simulate being inside the guts of a Bug, I would love for that to come back, and, by making MIB trackless, those mechanisms shouldn’t damage the ride hardware as much. :)

I want this ride to be flourishing by the time I have kids :)

Welcome, you make some great points.
But such an expensive overhaul should result in another ride with another name. Universal should be able to market the crap out of it as new. The trailers have a great vibe and I love the ip.

There is one thing that caught my eye "From The Director of The Fate of the Furious". What if the training center stays as is except for the replacement of some video's and a fresh up to slap the International logo on it. And have an separate attraction that is a mission in the current Fast and the Furious ride building (Fate of the Furious see what I did there). And you could even get from the training ride to the mission ride doing a special scavenger hunt mission. It's a great way to get rid of F&F and we get a mini Man in Black universe in the park.

Welcome to the boards

I think Universal will start by selling merch and see how it does...Then, if the movie/merch does well, maybe consider updating the ride

Knowing Sony is involved kind of scares me...But, MIB III was great I thought

In other words, I could see it happening

Welcome to the boards

I think Universal will start by selling merch and see how it does...Then, if the movie/merch does well, maybe consider updating the ride

Knowing Sony is involved kind of scares me...But, MIB III was great I thought

In other words, I could see it happening
YAY :D

Unfortunately, if I was a betting man, I think it's more likely that they'll close MIB. The ride system is (allegedly) no longer supported by the manufacturer, and unless the new movie does really, really well, the IP just isn't all that relevant.
Can I get a Doctor Who ride?

Rode this ride the other day and the next day hopped over to the MK and rode space ranger spin. SRS is a tightly packed slow moving car through cutouts and black lights, while men in black is the much updated version of that. I never get why one has a 120 min wait while the other just the 20 min.

Rode this ride the other day and the next day hopped over to the MK and rode space ranger spin. SRS is a tightly packed slow moving car through cutouts and black lights, while men in black is the much updated version of that. I never get why one has a 120 min wait while the other just the 20 min.
Why any omni mover should have a 120 minute wait is beyond me...I guess when you have a ridiculous fast pass system it makes sense

I often think that MIB is one of Universal's best paced lines...Wait for a bit outside of the building...Immediate Pre-show, followed by another small sequence...Dump out into a wider spaced walkway and then into a giant room...By the time you reach the actual load platform 10 cars have already been dispatched

I think Universal needs to advertise MIB more, some guests don’t even know what type of ride it is, nor it’s existence. Or maybe not :flash:

I think Universal needs to advertise MIB more, some guests don’t even know what type of ride it is, nor it’s existence. Or maybe not :flash:
It's popular, and I hear a lot of folks say that it is their favorite ride

I think, like Mummy, everyone rides it at different times of the day and it has great capacity...Where as Gringotts is slammed by everyone rushing to it first thing

It's popular, and I hear a lot of folks say that it is their favorite ride

I think, like Mummy, everyone rides it at different times of the day and it has great capacity...Where as Gringotts is slammed by everyone rushing to it first thing
True :) And, MIB is my favorite ride also :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

The ride system is (allegedly) no longer supported by the manufacturer, and unless the new movie does really, really well, the IP just isn't all that relevant.

I'm sure there are similar ride systems out there now that would be happy to come in. If the movie does do well (which, I have a suspicion it will be fun but forgettable - just my gut feeling), I agree that they might consider redoing it.

I'm sure there are similar ride systems out there now that would be happy to come in. If the movie does do well (which, I have a suspicion it will be fun but forgettable - just my gut feeling), I agree that they might consider redoing it.
I believe it was mentioned in this thread that this ride system and Cat in The Hat need an overhaul