Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion

that's a pretty weak pass. One was a replacement for an attraction that already had popularity problems. The other one was a transportation service.

Fast and Furious was heavily promoted, even more so than Fallon was, and landed with a giant thud.

PS - I didn't even know Discovery River Boats existed. I had to google it.
Alien was popular but not with the soccer moms who forced their kids to ride it although the cast members advised them not. But the attraction was very good.
Discovery River Boats was not a transportation service because it went no where. Problem was it has nothing to look at except that one year they took a spider and other small animals into the boat. I actually liked it but it was hyped up in a park where there was hardly anything to do and because of that the wait times got insane for what it was.

Wait times for F&F are low, sure most people don't think it's great. I rather have it open than seasonal so at least I can try it when I'm there in the off season and enjoy the queue and a small part of the ride.

I rode it on Saturday (third time riding), and I think I'm fine with it until the 360 part. The rest is fine (although I think I got lucky and had a nice extended Pat and Jamie conversation - sounds like they were stalling, but it was quality). The party scene is okay, but not terrible.

I do think this is where Kong succeeds - it has stuff going on all around you, but there is a main focal point - Kong himself, with a couple of accessory dinosaurs. It's busy, but not BUSY busy, where F&F packs as much stuff as it can into the screens.

Alien was popular but not with the soccer moms who forced their kids to ride it although the cast members advised them not. But the attraction was very good.
Discovery River Boats was not a transportation service because it went no where. Problem was it has nothing to look at except that one year they took a spider and other small animals into the boat. I actually liked it but it was hyped up in a park where there was hardly anything to do and because of that the wait times got insane for what it was.

Wait times for F&F are low, sure most people don't think it's great. I rather have it open than seasonal so at least I can try it when I'm there in the off season and enjoy the queue and a small part of the ride.

Alien's biggest problem was that it was in the wrong park. It would have made much more sense in MGM. However due to how "scary" it was, I don't think it was ever going to do "well" anywhere in Disney World.

So I finally got to experience Supercharged... and.. the queue has a lot of nice things to look at. I like the preshows, especially the war room, and like how they integrated the actors. The music gives the queue a good energy. But as soon as the party buses rolled up, people already started saying... "Again?" because they probably experienced Kong first.

And then the ride was basically what I've already experienced in USH but with higher quality rendering/projection. The ending is so anticlimactic and I feel bad for the cast members who have to clap when the ride vehicle pulls back in as no one was joining them in it. :lol: I could feel everyone's disappointment which was slightly uncomfortable but it is what it is. I actually enjoyed the total package more than I expected as I already knew the ride portion was pretty bad from USH. But at least it looks better here.

So I finally got to experience Supercharged... and.. the queue has a lot of nice things to look at. I like the preshows, especially the war room, and like how they integrated the actors. The music gives the queue a good energy. But as soon as the party buses rolled up, people already started saying... "Again?" because they probably experienced Kong first.

And then the ride was basically what I've already experienced in USH but with higher quality rendering/projection. The ending is so anticlimactic and I feel bad for the cast members who have to clap when the ride vehicle pulls back in as no one was joining them in it. :lol: I could feel everyone's disappointment which was slightly uncomfortable but it is what it is. I actually enjoyed the total package more than I expected as I already knew the ride portion was pretty bad from USH. But at least it looks better here.

I would also imagine the "Again?" also stems from the fact that people may be expecting an actual exhilarating ride. Even using ride tech such as used in Transformers would have given more of a thrill.

I would also imagine the "Again?" also stems from the fact that people may be expecting an actual exhilarating ride. Even using ride tech such as used in Transformers would have given more of a thrill.

Give me another Scoop ride with more musion than screens and I'd shut up forever

I agree (pulling the two quotes because yes to both of you guys). Yes, there would have been complaints about it being the same ride, but they also could have had us driving in the series' "cars", with different colored vehicles available (full on hardware differences would have probably been difficult for the track/system to handle). If they weren't going to have an actual Test Track style ride that really gets you physically moving, at least give the F&F a fitting screen based ride. There could have been two vehicles going off at any one time, with the vehicles "splitting up" and "racing".

Sadly, I think we all could come up with a hundred different ideas that would have improved the ride, but we're stuck with what we got. At least until the contract is up.

I agree (pulling the two quotes because yes to both of you guys). Yes, there would have been complaints about it being the same ride, but they also could have had us driving in the series' "cars", with different colored vehicles available (full on hardware differences would have probably been difficult for the track/system to handle). If they weren't going to have an actual Test Track style ride that really gets you physically moving, at least give the F&F a fitting screen based ride. There could have been two vehicles going off at any one time, with the vehicles "splitting up" and "racing".

Sadly, I think we all could come up with a hundred different ideas that would have improved the ride, but we're stuck with what we got. At least until the contract is up.
Or a car on a kuka arm...Like literally anything would have made sense

Or a car on a kuka arm...Like literally anything would have made sense

Oh man. The Hollywood tram ride version has stunt cars that are on Kuka arms (or at least similar tech) to demonstrate how they handle jumps or fancy stuff with practical cars. Something like that could even be made as an omnimover a la FJ, if done right (although the building isn't nearly as big, that would probably be questionable unless they took advantage of multiple stories and "ramps").

Universal, take my ideas. I will exchange each brilliant idea for one churro.

I'm not usually a negative person re: New Universal Attractions. I can usually get some form of enjoyment or appreciation out of each new offering. I love Kong and i always really enjoy Fallon for how silly it is. I always assume people are going a bit OTT when they decide to not like a ride on here, because that's what some people seem to enjoy doing.

This thing is just proper, proper, proper, rubbish though.

I'm not usually a negative person re: New Universal Attractions. I can usually get some form of enjoyment or appreciation out of each new offering. I love Kong and i always really enjoy Fallon for how silly it is. I always assume people are going a bit OTT when they decide to not like a ride on here, because that's what some people seem to enjoy doing.

This thing is just proper, proper, proper, rubbish though.
I agree with you. There's only a ride or two at both WDW & Universal that I can't fully enjoy for it's entertainment value. I've really tried hard to change my really negative feeling about F&F into a positive. Initially I tried the camp comedy route, but that only lasted for a couple of rides, and ultimately wore off. The last time I rode it, the experience was even worse than I remembered, especially the 360 scene. It's just not salvageable. :ugh:

I agree with you. There's only a ride or two at both WDW & Universal that I can't fully enjoy for it's entertainment value. I've really tried hard to change my really negative feeling about F&F into a positive. Initially I tried the camp comedy route, but that only lasted for a couple of rides, and ultimately wore off. The last time I rode it, the experience was even worse than I remembered, especially the 360 scene. It's just not salvageable. :ugh:
Most criminal aspect is the graphics/animation of the 360 movie itself. If you ride this then take a trip on Transformers straight after, the quality of the background/city in Transformers is really great, almost photo-realistic.

Ugh, what a mess! :doh:

I'm going to ride it for the first time in a few weeks. I'm going to try to keep an open mind but I'm also keeping my expectations very very very low. We'll see how it goes.

Most criminal aspect is the graphics/animation of the 360 movie itself. If you ride this then take a trip on Transformers straight after, the quality of the background/city in Transformers is really great, almost photo-realistic.

Ugh, what a mess! :doh:

I do like the preshow, and the initial "tunnel" scene and musion portions aren't terrible. Last time I was on it, I was thinking that it wasn't as bad as I remember.

Then I got to the 360 part and remembered why I didn't like it. Honestly though, I feel like they could redo that portion pretty easily - you could pretty much leave all of the effects, and just make the film a bit more cohesive. I mean, Kong is pretty good, considering it is the exact same mechanisms.

I do like the preshow, and the initial "tunnel" scene and musion portions aren't terrible. Last time I was on it, I was thinking that it wasn't as bad as I remember.

Then I got to the 360 part and remembered why I didn't like it. Honestly though, I feel like they could redo that portion pretty easily - you could pretty much leave all of the effects, and just make the film a bit more cohesive. I mean, Kong is pretty good, considering it is the exact same mechanisms.
Yep. If the 360 film was done as well as Kong's, it wouldn't be all that bad an attraction. The company they subcontracted that to really screwed it up. I can't understand why Universal accepted it without major revisions. Really really poor piece of tech work.

Yep. If the 360 film was done as well as Kong's, it wouldn't be all that bad an attraction. The company they subcontracted that to really screwed it up. I can't understand why Universal accepted it without major revisions. Really really poor piece of tech work.
This was a rushed project from the beginning, and ordered from out of touch management