Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 19 Reviews & Photos

Houses:

The Wolfman 2/5: Wow. This House's set was off Da Hizy(Bill and Ted Reference :lol:). No scares in this one really, but really enjoyed looking at the set! :)

Dracula 4/5: Amazing House I was like Oh shizzy bro when the strobes came on. The lady on the bungee cord was amazing as well. The hot dogish smell at the end was a big WTF though. Amazing house overall.

Frankenstien 5/5: Dang you C_D and Giant you scared the Shanaynay out of me. :lol: The way the Franks were hidden was amazing. Also the bride got me good awesome house, maybe the best ever thanks to C_D! :thumbs: C_D you win scareactor of the year from me. :D

The Spawning 5/5: Maybe got the most scares in history out of this house. The sculders really made me crap myself. The strobes in this house were awesome, and so was the beginning entrance office. WOOT for Cast B doing such a great Job! :thumbs:

Silver Screams 3/5: Ehh this house was ok. Jullian dying though really shocked me. Ash Cast A was maybe the best scareactor in the house he got me gooood! I was shocked though how someone had stolen a poster out of the house though :(

I saved the 3 worst houses for last
Leave it to Cleaver 1/5: So bad. I don't know what it is about this house, but it was God awful. None of the scare tactics worked for me, and the scareactors didn't seem like they wanted to be there. Samuel Meetz, and the pet shop were what got the 1/5 for me.

Chucky Friends 'Til the End 1/5: Really. This house was a joke. A chucky on a chain gun? For real? I see what they we're going for in this house but it was more of a fun house then a scary house. I enjoyed going through it just got no scares.

Saw 0/5.(really): I never pondered the thought of there being a house as bad as Maximum Carnage. But I found it! :clap: Sorry for being so hard on this house, but this is just one of those that has a real Cast to Cast difference. I missed Jake's cast, and wow was the other one bad. They all put .5% into scaring anybody. The only part that remotely got me was the billy doll, and that was because I was paying attention to someone behind me. Hopefully, the other cast get's their act together soon.

Last edited:
I'm not rating anything yet because last night was not the best and I don't think I got to experience this year's HHN fully.

So, my friends and I got to the entrance around 5:10pm yesterday (9/26) and we had to wait a bit because they were still were getting the daytime people out of the park. So we got our wrist bands and headed in.

We went straight to Chucky and did that first. I don't think my eyes had time to adjust to the dark of the house from being in the sun and everything seemed so dark that I couldn't appreciate much of the detail and even one of the plastic plant things hanging from the ceiling scratched my face pretty bad. I enjoyed the "fun" aspect of this house and got moderate scares, but it's not one of my favorites.

Next we headed into Silver Screams which was very cool. Except for the overwhelming butter-popcorn smell at the beginning, I loved all of the scenes and got a lot of the scares except in the Strangers where the scareactors were just standing around staring at you :shrug:. We had literally no wait for these two houses, so that was awesome.

Then we had to wait a bit because the other houses were not open, so we headed into a restaurant and had to wait there too because they weren't open, but it wasn't too long... we had something to eat and then hit Leave it to Cleaver since it was right by the restaurant. Here we had to wait a bit in line. This house was fun, but we didn't get many scares.

We took a break after Cleaver to wait for it to get darker and so we rode the Mummy. I love that the rides have practically no wait during HHN :D Next we went on Frankenstein which was awesome! Loved the atmosphere and we got all the scares. One of the brides got me so good! I thought she was a dummy and did a double take, but when I decided it was definitely a dummy she jumped up and scared the crap out of me haha!

Then we decided to go to Saw so we headed that way and went through the Apocalypse: City of Cannibals scarezone, which sucked big time; I think there were like 5 actors and no real scares going on. So we got to Saw, but since it had a 50 minute wait, we chose to ride MiB to waste a couple of minutes and then we got in line for Bill & Ted's 8:45 show. This was my first time seeing Bill & Ted and I really liked it! It was pretty funny and the SFX were cool, but I wouldn't see it more than once a year. So, when we came out of B&T we learned that some of what we thought were sound effects weren't part of the show, but actual thunder! because it was POURING! With the mobs outside of the theater it took us a while to get to a place with a roof and even then we were soaked.

We stayed outside the restrooms by MiB for a bit, waiting for the rain to stop, but when we figured it wasn't going to stop we just headed to The Spawning. We had a pretty long wait here and we got completely drenched, but we laughed it off and the house was pretty cool. We got some good scares and we loved the creatures with the glow in the dark eyes. I liked how in this house there were scares coming from above as well, which was unexpected.

So next we headed to Saw for the second time, and this time we didn't get in either but because it was closed... and so was Dracula... :( I understand that it was for safety reasons, but it sucked nonetheless. Also, the rain was coming down hard and there were no scareactors in any of the zones, so I only got to see Apocalypse this night. We waited for a while outside of Dracula and it didn't open, so I asked one of the staff members if all the houses were all closed, and she said she didn't know and she also didn't know how long it would take for the houses to open again. I insisted that she ask through her walkie-talkie if Wolfman was open, so she gave in and confirmed that it was actually open.

We had a pretty long wait outside of Wolfman even though the sign said 5 minutes... liars... lol! I LOVED this house's atmosphere! It looked AMAZING! but... I got no scares :( zero, nil, nada. It seemed as if the scareactors were not there! I saw a lady at the very start but she was just walking around and then I only saw 2 wolves, one which just howled at the moon and didn't even look at us. It was pretty amusing though, how the guys in front of us went "Ahh! a vine!" "Ahh! A staircase!" "OMG! A chair!" :p

So, after Wolfman it was around 11pm and most of my friends wanted to leave. Overall, I had a lot of fun, but I didn't really get to experience this year’s event... with only seeing 6 out of 8 houses, 1 show and only 1 scarezone... I'm definitely anxious to go again. I'm really glad I got the FFP :) Once I go again and get to see ALL of it I'll give ratings ;)

PS: I forgot my camera at home, so I didn't get any pictures, but I'm glad I didn't have my camera or it would've gotten soaked, just like my cell phone, wallet and ticket did even though they were inside my pant's pocket.

Last edited:
Released by Universal..

7832_155220913232_126469058232_2736289_2935406_n.jpg

7832_155220928232_126469058232_2736290_5032523_n.jpg

7832_155220958232_126469058232_2736292_41714_n.jpg

7832_155220973232_126469058232_2736293_7155891_n.jpg

I went to HHN 19 on Friday, 9/25. I only went to 3 houses but I got two good "laps" around the park in. I've got a Frequent Fear Pass so there's no sense in trying to get everything in on the first visit. Having not seen everything yet, and having been only on opening night, it's probably too early to make a good judgment as to what the entire event is going to amount to. That being said, I was a little disappointed so far. Don't get me wrong, it's still amazing, just not as good as some other years (is it even fair to try to hold every year up to the two park HHN a few years back?) Oh, and I can confirm Rockit was closed but they were running test runs for most of the night--without the LED's on.

Scare zones:

I experienced each of the six scare zones at least twice, once near the beginning of the night and once later in the evening. Unfortunately, they're all a pretty big let down. I thought the formula for a great scare zone was pretty simple, lots of hiding spots for actors + lots of people hiding in those spots = good scares. Only one zone possibly qualifies to the first aspect and none of them fulfill the second. I'll also add that unexpected loud noises that accompany a good "surprise" scare go a long way to get that really good scare.

Lights, camera, hacktion was occupied by 3 chainsaw wielding maniacs that primarily focused on chasing "production crew" around the area. It was a lot of fun to watch, but it wasn't the slightest bit scary. The area is also very well lit, I just have trouble getting scared with lighting like a grocery store around me. Could they lower the lights, add some fog, and double or triple the number of said "maniacs" to get this great looking zone to actually have some scares?

The d-i-e in movie looked like such a great idea when they were setting it up but the execution is poor at best. The area had 6 or 7 actors that hid behind cars and jumped out to try to scare you. Here's the biggest problem. The cars aren't laid out so that the traffic pattern goes anywhere near them. They ended up trying to scare people that were at least 10 feet away or they simply wandered around the area in their mask or makeup right in the open. I wish they'd have forced the crowd through the scare zone or moved the cars into one of the walking paths. A "victim" inside one of the cars that has a dome light left on so we can make out what's going on as he/she is smearing blood all over the inside of the windows as he/she tries to get out would have been fun. More hiding spots would also go a long way to make this work.

The freak show seems to be a perennial at HHN and is exactly what you'd expect (or more realistically, what you've seen) if you've been to just about any other HHN event. A little creepy as the characters wander around the area but not at all scary. Frankly, carnies only scare me when I'm on one of their rides and they're at the controls. Could someone actually, I don't know, try to scare me by doing something more than walk next to me while they're wearing prosthetics?

Other than the entrances to houses/shows, The Simpsons, MIB, Jaws, San Francisco and the Mummy areas have nothing to indicate you're even at HHN except for lower than normal lighting and some normally white light bulbs that were replaced with red ones.

NY had a few shirtless guys with a long pony tail coming out of their otherwise bald head that were running around and a few "normal people" that were bloody and telling you to run away before they get you too. The only interesting thing about the area is the flipped JP Jeep and a fire hydrant that had been opened and left to spray the street. This area primarily suffered from the same affliction that made the last two year's scare zones fail, the area just has way too much open space. Is it still scary if you see the actor from 100' away and spend half a minute walking up to them to "scare" you?

The zombie war zone area was the best of the scare zones but that's not saying much here. They've got great ambiance, great outfits and a great set to work with but there just weren't many actors hiding out to scare you. If they add three or four more actors this could be a great scare this year. But, as it is, it's about one actor per 50 guests in the area so you've got a pretty slim chance of being the one person that gets the scare.

Containment looked like it was going to be great and I had high expectations. Boy, was I disappointed here. 3 smoke machines and five or six actors. I read the description and was excited to see we could expect thick green fog that actors could hide in while they're right in front of you. Not only was it not green, (or more accurately, not lit by green lights to appear green) it was anything BUT thick. You could easily stand at one end and see clearly through the 200' to the other end. Epic failure that seems it could easily be fixed with an extra machine or two (or four?) pumping in some extra ambiance. Hopefully it's taken care of soon.

Houses:

So far I've seen Frankenstein, Wolfman, and Silver Screams.

Frankenstein's set was basically a rehash of much of the body collector's house last year. The crypt and jars of body parts are still spooky looking but . . . we've seen it before. Frank's house also wasn't the least bit scary. Maybe it's because, as so many others have pointed out, one slow, tall, moaning guy just isn't that scary to me. "Oh no! It's Frankenstein! I'd better walk over there to get away . . . in a minute or two . . . once I finish with my snack."

Wolfman looked great, and if that's what you go to the event for, you'll be impressed with this house. They did a great job with the "I know I'm inside a building but I swear I'm in a forest" look. But, if you're there to get scared, this isn't the house to get it done in. There were only a handful of them here. OK, hand'ful' might be an exaggeration. There were a few scares that could occupy the space in part of your hand. This could probably be fixed with more actors but I'm not sure they've built enough hiding spots into the maze to allow for them.

Silver Screams was great. I loved the set design, the entrance to the house really felt like you were walking into an old theater and then it literally felt like you were walking through the movie locations. Silver Screams had tons of "jump-out-at-you" scares. Just what I'm there for. Let's face it, cheap scares work best in a haunted house and psychological scares, as they apparently tried last year with Alice in Wonderland, doesn't work well as you walk through a 3 minute maze. Silver Screams has a lot of good, immersive, rooms that I don't want to ruin by going into too much detail here but this is a can't miss this year. I've read some negative reviews about this house and I've got to say I'm a little surprised as it's clear that there was a lot of effort that was put into making this house memorable. I hope you give it another shot in a couple weeks once everyone has honed their scares.

HHN seemed to get a little less scary every year up to the culmination that was HHN Alice in Wonderland. From what I've seen so far, this year looks like a slight, very slight, step back in the right direction. As I've said, I haven't seen even half of the houses yet and it was opening night so maybe the actors haven't found their stride and/or the park hasn't decided how things need to be staffed yet so it will likely get better in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
I went to HHN 19 on Friday, 9/25. I only went to 3 houses but I got two good "laps" around the park in. I've got a Frequent Fear Pass so there's no sense in trying to get everything in on the first visit. Having not seen everything yet, and having been only on opening night, it's probably too early to make a good judgment as to what the entire event is going to amount to. That being said, I was a little disappointed so far. Don't get me wrong, it's still amazing, just not as good as some other years (is it even fair to try to hold every year up to the two park HHN a few years back?) Oh, and I can confirm Rockit was closed but they were running test runs for most of the night--without the LED's on.

Scare zones:

I experienced each of the six scare zones at least twice, once near the beginning of the night and once later in the evening. Unfortunately, they're all a pretty big let down. I thought the formula for a great scare zone was pretty simple, lots of hiding spots for actors + lots of people hiding in those spots = good scares. Only one zone possibly qualifies to the first aspect and none of them fulfill the second. I'll also add that unexpected loud noises that accompany a good "surprise" scare go a long way to get that really good scare.

Lights, camera, hacktion was occupied by 3 chainsaw wielding maniacs that primarily focused on chasing "production crew" around the area. It was a lot of fun to watch, but it wasn't the slightest bit scary. The area is also very well lit, I just have trouble getting scared with lighting like a grocery store around me. Could they lower the lights, add some fog, and double or triple the number of said "maniacs" to get this great looking zone to actually have some scares?

The d-i-e in movie looked like such a great idea when they were setting it up but the execution is poor at best. The area had 6 or 7 actors that hid behind cars and jumped out to try to scare you. Here's the biggest problem. The cars aren't laid out so that the traffic pattern goes anywhere near them. They ended up trying to scare people that were at least 10 feet away or they simply wandered around the area in their mask or makeup right in the open. I wish they'd have forced the crowd through the scare zone or moved the cars into one of the walking paths. A "victim" inside one of the cars that has a dome light left on so we can make out what's going on as he/she is smearing blood all over the inside of the windows as he/she tries to get out would have been fun. More hiding spots would also go a long way to make this work.

The freak show seems to be a perennial at HHN and is exactly what you'd expect (or more realistically, what you've seen) if you've been to just about any other HHN event. A little creepy as the characters wander around the area but not at all scary. Frankly, carnies only scare me when I'm on one of their rides and they're at the controls. Could someone actually, I don't know, try to scare me by doing something more than walk next to me while they're wearing prosthetics?

Other than the entrances to houses/shows, The Simpsons, MIB, Jaws, San Francisco and the Mummy areas have nothing to indicate you're even at HHN except for lower than normal lighting and some normally white light bulbs that were replaced with red ones.

NY had a few shirtless guys with a long pony tail coming out of their otherwise bald head that were running around and a few "normal people" that were bloody and telling you to run away before they get you too. The only interesting thing about the area is the flipped JP Jeep and a fire hydrant that had been opened and left to spray the street. This area primarily suffered from the same affliction that made the last two year's scare zones fail, the area just has way too much open space. Is it still scary if you see the actor from 100' away and spend half a minute walking up to them to "scare" you?

The zombie war zone area was the best of the scare zones but that's not saying much here. They've got great ambiance, great outfits and a great set to work with but there just weren't many actors hiding out to scare you. If they add three or four more actors this could be a great scare this year. But, as it is, it's about one actor per 50 guests in the area so you've got a pretty slim chance of being the one person that gets the scare.

Containment looked like it was going to be great and I had high expectations. Boy, was I disappointed here. 3 smoke machines and five or six actors. I read the description and was excited to see we could expect thick green fog that actors could hide in while they're right in front of you. Not only was it not green, (or more accurately, not lit by green lights to appear green) it was anything BUT thick. You could easily stand at one end and see clearly through the 200' to the other end. Epic failure that seems it could easily be fixed with an extra machine or two (or four?) pumping in some extra ambiance. Hopefully it's taken care of soon.

Houses:

So far I've seen Frankenstein, Wolfman, and Silver Screams.

Frankenstein's set was basically a rehash of much of the body collector's house last year. The crypt and jars of body parts are still spooky looking but . . . we've seen it before. Frank's house also wasn't the least bit scary. Maybe it's because, as so many others have pointed out, one slow, tall, moaning guy just isn't that scary to me. "Oh no! It's Frankenstein! I'd better walk over there to get away . . . in a minute or two . . . once I finish with my snack."

Wolfman looked great, and if that's what you go to the event for, you'll be impressed with this house. They did a great job with the "I know I'm inside a building but I swear I'm in a forest" look. But, if you're there to get scared, this isn't the house to get it done in. There were only a handful of them here. OK, hand'ful' might be an exaggeration. There were a few scares that could occupy the space in part of your hand. This could probably be fixed with more actors but I'm not sure they've built enough hiding spots into the maze to allow for them.

Silver Screams was great. I loved the set design, the entrance to the house really felt like you were walking into an old theater and then it literally felt like you were walking through the movie locations. Silver Screams had tons of "jump-out-at-you" scares. Just what I'm there for. Let's face it, cheap scares work best in a haunted house and psychological scares, as they apparently tried last year with Alice in Wonderland, doesn't work well as you walk through a 3 minute maze. Silver Screams has a lot of good, immersive, rooms that I don't want to ruin by going into too much detail here but this is a can't miss this year. I've read some negative reviews about this house and I've got to say I'm a little surprised as it's clear that there was a lot of effort that was put into making this house memorable. I hope you give it another shot in a couple weeks once everyone has honed their scares.

HHN seemed to get a little less scary every year up to the culmination that was HHN Alice in Wonderland. From what I've seen so far, this year looks like a slight, very slight, step back in the right direction. As I've said, I haven't seen even half of the houses yet and it was opening night so maybe the actors haven't found their stride and/or the park hasn't decided how things need to be staffed yet so it will likely get better in the next few weeks.

I am sorry that you feel Cirque du Freak is just an ordinary freak show. It is not. It's an actual scarezone. You probably came through on the weaker cast. I can assure you that my cast has amped it up a lot.

HHNGuy - my sentiments exactly! Silver Screams was also my favorite. Was disappointed as well to see sets from my previous favorite house (Body Collectors) used in Frank's and not executed as well.

Hopefully they get the kinks worked out from last weekend and upcoming nights will be even better.

I wish they'd turn down the lights all around the park too. I can read the fine print on the back of my credit card by MIB.

Maybe it's because, as so many others have pointed out, one slow, tall, moaning guy just isn't that scary to me. "Oh no! It's Frankenstein! I'd better walk over there to get away . . . in a minute or two . . . once I finish with my snack."

hrmmm I wonder if you caught us at a bad time...I can't speak for the rest of my house mates, but I don't portray my monster as a slow lumbering moaning guy...try fast, in your face, fierce 6'7 370 pound monstrosity...give us another go and you won't be sorry :thumbs: If you come through with cast A you'll get to see me and C_D (sorry if anyone else from the house is on here...not sure if there are any others on here! hehe :) )

Last edited:
For anyone that comes threw Saw after midnight on a non-peak night I warn you. The energy WILL be down. Having to work an extra set really can lower morale.That might sound bad but we work in one of the most demanding and physically challenging houses. If you've been in the house you know it's hot and humid. Well put on about 30 lbs of clothes and a mask. Then try and scare people for 45 minutes. It isn't as easy as it looks.

Last edited:
I am sorry that you feel Cirque du Freak is just an ordinary freak show. It is not. It's an actual scarezone. You probably came through on the weaker cast. I can assure you that my cast has amped it up a lot.

I actually spent a fair amount of time hanging out in this area on Friday because while I didn't think you were scary, you were interesting to watch. Please don't take what I wrote the wrong way. I hope I was pretty clear that I really don't think the actors are the issue. Of course working out what works best and what doesn't work as well is something that comes with experience in the scene and scare zones often get better as the month progresses but I really don't think that's even an issue with this scare zone. You're doing a great job, very believable freak show (sorry I'll say it in French to match the book's title next time) . . . and yes, of course, I saw the "teeth" on a few of the girls and, and I wasn't going to say this part so I'd leave something for someone that hasn't been there, I saw the ONE actor hiding behind the wall on the Woody the Wood Pecker side scare probably one out of every 150 people that walked by but that means you're getting less than 1% of the guests. You've only got one person that's actually doing any real "scaring." I mean, OK, you've got a snake and the other guy's got a tarantula--don't those belong in a terrarium in a 12 year old's bedroom? I'm just kidding but I'm sure you get where I'm coming from. You're great and you're creating a good spooky feeling area that's ripe for the picking for scares but you're leaving them all on the tree. How about doing the thing where there's something you think is a statue and then it comes to life to scare you in there? How about a few more people that hide and come out and scare you, lord knows they'll be preoccupied with the freaks and totally off guard, right? How about digging out a couple of those ghillie suits? Loved those things.

Sometimes people who create these zones and the houses are just too close to the project, they get too caught up in how accurately it portrays the work it was inspired by. I'm 30 and I think I'm speaking for the majority of the guests, I don't care. Take a little poetic license to the story and get some better scares out of it. And if that's how I feel, how important do you think "being true to the source material" is to the majority of your HHN guests, you know, the one's under 18? It's a haunted house, not a book club. Most of the people aren't literary buffs. Most of those who are, are willing to suspend disbelief for the night for the sake of fun. Those who aren't . . . scr*w 'em.

Director: "Hey! Bearded lady! We're making a change tonight . . . you'll be playing the part of 'person that stands behind a box and jumps out at people to scare them.'"

Last edited:
hrmmm I wonder if you caught us at a bad time...I can't speak for the rest of my house mates, but I don't portray my monster as a slow lumbering moaning guy...try fast, in your face, fierce 6'7 370 pound monstrosity...give us another go and you won't be sorry :thumbs: If you come through with cast A you'll get to see me and C_D (sorry if anyone else from the house is on here...not sure if there are any others on here! hehe :) )

I don't think it's so much the actors as it is my impression of the character himself. He could be in a Ferrari and I'd still think he looked old fashioned and slow. Different strokes for different folks, right? I'll surely give it at least one more try. I'll be honest, I might have been a little disgruntled on my way through after waiting in line for almost 40 minutes when the sign said 15.

I don't think it's so much the actors as it is my impression of the character himself. He could be in a Ferrari and I'd still think he looked old fashioned and slow. Different strokes for different folks, right? I'll surely give it at least one more try. I'll be honest, I might have been a little disgruntled on my way through after waiting in line for almost 40 minutes when the sign said 15.

ah yeah I can understand the frustration hehe...I heard that they were still tweaking the queue times to be more accurate...hopefully it won't be an issue this next weekend :)

For anyone that comes threw Saw after midnight on a non-peak night I warn you. The energy WILL be down. Having to work an extra set really can lower morale.That might sound bad but we work in one of the most demanding and physically challenging houses. If you've been in the house you know it's hot and humid. Well put on about 30 lbs of clothes and a mask. Then try and scare people for 45 minutes. It isn't as easy as it looks.

Jake,
Man Up Brother (J/K),
Giant and Myself worked the venue for F13th and I know where your coming from! Costume of 4 layers, Mask from hell, no A/C. But look on the bright side, cold front just came thru, it will only be in the 80's this week.

I actually got several good scares in cirque just walking though. They got right up in our faces and one of the tall guys made some kinda freaky screeching noise which gave me a great jump!

I actually got several good scares in cirque just walking though. They got right up in our faces and one of the tall guys made some kinda freaky screeching noise which gave me a great jump!

That's, kind of, exactly what I'm talking about. Good "freak show" stuff but is it scary?

When we went through Saw, I actually commented how I don't see how you guys (in all houses and zones) are able to hold the intensity all night. It's easy to take for granted when we walk by in a matter of seconds - but keeping in mind the scareactors perform the same screams, lunges, etc. again and again over and over - I don't see how you uphold the energy. :worship:

i thought SAW was awesome. i'd put it on one of my faves for this year. although we didn't make it to all the houses yet, and we were there right at opening on friday, which might have made a difference.

but, i do have to agree with what a few others have said, throughout the whole event, from what i got to see anyways, the lack of scares was definitely obvious. i'm just hoping it was due to it being opening weekend.