Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

2018 Holidays at Universal Orlando

The highlight of our trip was the refurbed Grinchmas show with the new sets. I had only seen the former show on You Tube but I liked this version better since the new set allowed the choreography and cast more creative space to work with. I have a question though, just out of curiosity. We watched four shows, it was so good, and managed to catch all three working casts. The speaking/singing actors/actresses were all very good, though some were more talented than others, as is usually the case in theatrical productions. But since it's only a seasonal show, my question is whether the main cast is comprised of Universal full time entertainment talent, or is it actors/actresses retained for only two months of the Holiday Season?....Also the Who Village Citizens,on the streets, were really entertaining with their impromptu skits. I recognized one of the Martha May street actresses as one of the Penelopes at Toothsome Restaurant. She was super talented. Great British accent and very entertaining impromptu acting. Very impressive and entertaining.

Last edited:
The highlight of our trip was the refurbed Grinchmas show with the new sets. I had only seen the former show on You Tube but I liked this version better since the new set allowed the choreography and cast more creative space to work with. I have a question though, just out of curiosity. We watched four shows, it was so good, and managed to catch all three working casts. The speaking/singing actors/actresses were all very good, though some were more talented than others, as is usually the case in theatrical productions. But since it's only a seasonal show, my question is whether the main cast is comprised of Universal full time entertainment talent, or is it actors/actresses retained for only two months of the Holiday Season?....Also the Who Village Citizens,on the streets, were really entertaining with their impromptu skits. I recognized one of the Martha Mae actresses as one of the Penelopes at Toothsome Restaurant.
It’s traditionally a pool of talent that bounces between all the parks, each resort has a “core” they’ll pull from that serves as primary castings. If there aren’t any shows going, they’ll work as MCs for stuff.

Not to start the UO v DW fight, but I felt like Universal did a great job at decorating for the season. We did the Christmas party at MK, and it felt like they just did the bare minimum. Meanwhile, USF had themed decorations for each area (Blues Brothers stage was all blue, Finnegan's is all green, Auntie Annes had pretzel ornaments, etc). I was quite impressed with the amount of work they did for the holidays!

Not to start the UO v DW fight, but I felt like Universal did a great job at decorating for the season. We did the Christmas party at MK, and it felt like they just did the bare minimum. Meanwhile, USF had themed decorations for each area (Blues Brothers stage was all blue, Finnegan's is all green, Auntie Annes had pretzel ornaments, etc). I was quite impressed with the amount of work they did for the holidays!
I wholeheartedly agree. We did both, like you. Universal's parks and resorts were totally more Christmas immersive than MK. It wasn't even close. Outside of Main Street/Castle Hub, there were only a couple of projections on a few spots. That was it.

They really need to make a Grinch riding Universal rides video. Also meeting Blue.

The Grinch on Rip Ride Rockit sounds like a ready made thing.

I wholeheartedly agree. We did both, like you. Universal's parks and resorts were totally more Christmas immersive than MK. It wasn't even close. Outside of Main Street/Castle Hub, there were only a couple of projections on a few spots. That was it.

That's how the Halloween party was as well, and I had my fingers crossed that Christmas would be better in MK. Oh well. When it comes to decorations, Universal wins, hands down.

The Grinch on Rip Ride Rockit sounds like a ready made thing.

That's how the Halloween party was as well, and I had my fingers crossed that Christmas would be better in MK. Oh well. When it comes to decorations, Universal wins, hands down.
My favs; *Seuss Landing was the most immersive single Christmas area anywhere. Plus the Grinchmas Show...*USF had total decorations & Christmas music & shows etc. Therefore, you were immersed in Christmas everywhere you stepped.

Disney Hollywood Studios is also probably the most festive of all the parks currently too. I would place MK fourth in Orlando behind DHS, USF, and IOA, even during a Christmas party.

They had an entrance to USF open at the exit of the Grinchmas show today. Apparently, they’ve been doing it for a few days. It’s open going the other way before the show as well. It’s also in a new soundstage (21) because David Meets Man is in their old one.

The Holiday parade is also close to the longest parade we could get at USF. The end of the parade gets really close to the beginning at Mel’s. Pictured below with the beginning in the background in front of Transformers.

4931D5F1-E955-41AD-ADDB-55DD8196F9A8.jpeg

Did we know they were doing NYE fireworks in two locations this year? Central Park will be having fireworks as well as the Music Plaza.

Did we know they were doing NYE fireworks in two locations this year? Central Park will be having fireworks as well as the Music Plaza.
It mentioned it on the maps this past week, but I don’t think it’s on the website or was formally announced.

It mentioned it on the maps this past week, but I don’t think it’s on the website or was formally announced.
It really helped spread out the crowds. Music Plaza can’t handle the amount of people that want to see a NYE display. The concert yard capacity is 15k max. There was far more than that in the park today (although it wasn’t as crowded as some may think... Friday was the worst). So splitting it up allows it to provide options while easing strain.

Although I am beginning to think it’s going to get to the point where IOA is going to need to stay open for midnight, too.

They were both listed on the official Holidays page on the website since November. Looked like this:

New Year’s Eve at the Music Plaza Stage
Dec. 31: 6:15 pm–1 am
• Holiday Parade Character Dance Party
• Live Band and DJ
• Pyrotechnics and Confetti Midnight Moment

New Year’s Eve in Central Park
Dec. 31: 8:30 pm–1 am
• All-new Cinematic Celebration
• Character Dance Party
• Live DJ
• Pyrotechnics, Fountain and Light Midnight Moment

They were both listed on the official Holidays page on the website since November. Looked like this:

New Year’s Eve at the Music Plaza Stage
Dec. 31: 6:15 pm–1 am
• Holiday Parade Character Dance Party
• Live Band and DJ
• Pyrotechnics and Confetti Midnight Moment

New Year’s Eve in Central Park
Dec. 31: 8:30 pm–1 am
• All-new Cinematic Celebration
• Character Dance Party
• Live DJ
• Pyrotechnics, Fountain and Light Midnight Moment

Yup can confirm it’s been there for a bit but they recently fleshed out what the offerings would be.