Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

State of Space Mountain

Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
So we all know that MK's Space Mountain is an embarrassment compared to the other versions of the ride around the world, but I came across a friend who posted this on Facebook and this is just completely unacceptable every step of the way. The fact that the ride didn't E-stop upon this happening is troublesome and the supervisors response is not only unacceptable for something like this happening, but it goes to show that it's almost a regular occurrence. Something they expect...

q5RJMOL.png

Maybe once the speedway comes back up they can take space down but this sounds like the big guy didn't get fully latched (which should show at load) but really sitting in a bucket on a slow mouse coaster I don't think he was in any danger of flying out.
They have played with fire for more than 10 years now, just a matter of time.....

Maybe once the speedway comes back up they can take space down but this sounds like the big guy didn't get fully latched (which should show at load) but really sitting in a bucket on a slow mouse coaster I don't think he was in any danger of flying out.
They have played with fire for more than 10 years now, just a matter of time.....
He wasn't in any danger, but if it was an issue where it just didn't lock at load, the CM should've caught that. And as he points out, yes he can handle it, but what if the restraint popped open on a younger kid? It's just not something that anyone should have to worry about.

He wasn't in any danger, but if it was an issue where it just didn't lock at load, the CM should've caught that. And as he points out, yes he can handle it, but what if the restraint popped open on a younger kid? It's just not something that anyone should have to worry about.
True, hope they take it down before someone does get hurt - again...

That's a fairly blase attitude towards a failure by the CM. Sheesh, at least give the guy some free FP's or something. Not just, "All's well that ends well, I guess".

True, hope they take it down before someone does get hurt - again...

I actually won't ride this and primarily because it hurts. Too jerky and just not enjoyable. Plus, it has little to no thrill value for me. Yank the whole coaster out and, despite the impact to capacity, create just one great coaster for inside the mountain. They'd probably use Vekoma but I'd prefer Mack or maybe Gerstlauer. I'd actually prefer B&M but that is a pipe dream. Then, use the space to have drops, overbanked curves, and other good elements. Heck, they could even add in some immersive elements along the way to support space flight.

Mr. Iger, Tear down this coaster!! But replace it with something far more fun.

At this stage, I only go on Space Mountain because it feels like a ritual. Not something I particular look forward to but the feel the need to do.

If they ever do get around to majorly refurbing Space Mountain (and they should), I really hope they keep single-file seating. It's a unique feature of that coaster compared to others in WDW, and I think it heightens the experience.

Honestly it's overdue for a MAJOR refurb/retrack, but I don't see it happening until 2022 after Tron has opened and cooled things down a bit. Unless something happens to it sooner, they won't close it for refurb until they have the added capacity of Tron.

Remember all the chatter about Everest going down to fix the Yeti once Pandora was ready?
Same situation. Maintenance and Imagineering want to take things down for refurb, Operations says they can't spare the capacity, management sides with Operations and delays/cancels/shortens refurbs (until something happens that they can't any longer).

All of Disney's approach to maintenance seems to be reactive rather than proactive.

That's a fairly blase attitude towards a failure by the CM. Sheesh, at least give the guy some free FP's or something. Not just, "All's well that ends well, I guess".

I actually won't ride this and primarily because it hurts. Too jerky and just not enjoyable. Plus, it has little to no thrill value for me. Yank the whole coaster out and, despite the impact to capacity, create just one great coaster for inside the mountain. They'd probably use Vekoma but I'd prefer Mack or maybe Gerstlauer. I'd actually prefer B&M but that is a pipe dream. Then, use the space to have drops, overbanked curves, and other good elements. Heck, they could even add in some immersive elements along the way to support space flight.

Mr. Iger, Tear down this coaster!! But replace it with something far more fun.
Completely agree. We quit riding this a number of years ago for the same hurtful reasons. We have no idea why people like this ride.

Same situation. Maintenance and Imagineering want to take things down for refurb, Operations says they can't spare the capacity, management sides with Operations and delays/cancels/shortens refurbs (until something happens that they can't any longer).

All of Disney's approach to maintenance seems to be reactive rather than proactive.

While I agree, I think Space Mountain is a bit different, since MK already has a ton of other attractions. DAK doesn't have very many. It was wishful thinking that people had that the yeti would be fixed I think once Pandora opened.

For the record, I also refuse to ride Space Mountain...it's rough and feels unsafe, plus I've also happened to ride it recently with the lights on.......it doesn't give me the most confident feeling when I see the track lit up

I look forward to this ride every time I'm in Magic Kingdom. Every. Single. Time.

.... For the record, I also refuse to ride Space Mountain...it's rough and feels unsafe, plus I've also happened to ride it recently with the lights on.......it doesn't give me the most confident feeling when I see the track lit up

This. I recently saw the YouTube lights-on video and will not ride again! Was posted on this forum.

So, after this Guest rode with a malfunctioning lap bar mechanism and after he walked away, the Cast Member most likely stored the rocket for maintenance to look at it. No sense in taking down the entire ride and both tracks for one seat's lap bar failure. It's also really simple to pull a rocket from the ride and keep things moving right a long.

While I agree, I think Space Mountain is a bit different, since MK already has a ton of other attractions.

MK does have more attractions but they also bring in almost twice the crowd. Every year MK brings in higher year over year attendance but hasn't added any more attraction capacity. The only thing that was a net new attraction was a second Dumbo spinner, everything else in the past few years has been a one for one swap with only more character meet and greets added.

I went on Space Mountain exactly once, back in 2012, I think. That was enough for me. I have no interest in riding it again, but that's just me.

I will ironically ride Mummy over at USF with no problems, but I also have to drag myself on. I am a self proclaimed thrill wimp.

It may be true but I think the restraint coming off randomly during the ride is pretty impossible and if it actually did Disney would have a very big problem and they wouldnt just say "It's a mechanical issue."

I went on Space Mountain exactly once, back in 2012, I think. That was enough for me. I have no interest in riding it again, but that's just me.

I will ironically ride Mummy over at USF with no problems, but I also have to drag myself on. I am a self proclaimed thrill wimp.

Big baby.

Obviously, none of us know what WDW will do for this ride. Bandaid solutions only work so long. At some point, a coaster can just outlive itself. Further, a replacement wouldn't have to cost$100M. It just comes down to actually doing something about it. One thing that I also don't is how easy it would be to get work equipment in. I am not well versed enough on the Mountain to know if it has some large maintenance doors on it.