Avatar: The Way Of Water | Inside Universal Forums

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
I was surprise we didn’t have an actual dedicated thread for this after doing a search. Anyway, Jon Landau and James Cameron are out promoting Alita: Battle Angel, and have revealed that production has wrapped on both movies.

Avatar 2 is scheduled for a December 18, 2020 release with Avatar 3 scheduled for December 17, 2021.

Avatar 4 & 5 are dependent on the success of 2 & 3.

https://www.comicbook.com/movies/amp/2019/01/14/avatar-2-disney-fox-production-jon-landau/

Reactions: SeventyOne
I’m nervous for the first sequel. Considering they filmed both at the same time, I’m fearful it will have “middle movie syndrome” and have an unresolved ending that doesn’t fully satisfy anyone.
Either way, I think this will be one to see at the movies and I wouldn’t expect anything other than the most visual pleasing movie we’ve had since, well, Avatar.

Here is an interesting theme park note from the interview:
Bob Iger is thrilled with the collaboration that we've had in creating Pandora which is the highest rated land and attractions and food service, QSR, that they've ever had.
Not to mention the massive ~15% attendance boost.
Of course he’s thrilled.

I’m nervous for the first sequel. Considering they filmed both at the same time, I’m fearful it will have “middle movie syndrome” and have an unresolved ending that doesn’t fully satisfy anyone.
Either way, I think this will be one to see at the movies and I wouldn’t expect anything other than the most visual pleasing movie we’ve had since, well, Avatar.

Here is an interesting theme park note from the interview:

Not to mention the massive ~15% attendance boost.
Of course he’s thrilled.

With his recent public comments I bet he’s more happy the park is drawing a larger dinner crowd (and the alcohol sales that come with it and after it).

no doubt it did wonders for AK.

I think it's wise they are "waiting" on 4&5. I really think 3 is more then enough.

With his recent public comments I bet he’s more happy the park is drawing a larger dinner crowd (and the alcohol sales that come with it and after it).

No doubt. There were quite a few skeptics on this board, but Pandora: World of Avatar was an unabashed success.

It was also a picture perfect way for Disney to expand their park:
-Add new and expand existing areas
-Add new and expand existing shops
-Add new and expand existing restaurants
-Add new nighttime show and nighttime elements like Tree of Life
And THEN open their brand new incredible land that they had been building and knew was coming.

It was flawless.

Then, you have DHS. What a sht-show. Yes, we have MMRR and TSL. But overall, it’s basically:
-Close a bunch of stuff
-Open Star Wars

Let’s try and keep this more as a movie thread and discuss Avatar in the parks in the appropriate thread.

Avatar 2 will have so much good will and hype from the first film that there's no way it can flop. Even some of the its critics will show up out of curiosity.

After that is where things may start to go south.

Avatar 2 will have so much good will and hype from the first film that there's no way it can flop. Even some of the its critics will show up out of curiosity.

After that is where things may start to go south.
Easily a billion dollar earner too as long as the international market plays anywhere close to how it did in 2009. Even half as well.

Easily a billion dollar earner too as long as the international market plays anywhere close to how it did in 2009. Even half as well.

And that international market's expanded a hell of a lot more than it did 10 years ago (to the point where a guy who talks to fish can join the billionaire's club).

Reactions: Andysol
I am done doubting Cameron - but part of the appeal, or draw, from the first movie was the whole "you need to see this in theaters because of the 3D and the film tech we used". I don't think it'll be the all-timer but I'm sure it'll make money - but I wonder what the goal line is for them.

I am done doubting Cameron - but part of the appeal, or draw, from the first movie was the whole "you need to see this in theaters because of the 3D and the film tech we used". I don't think it'll be the all-timer but I'm sure it'll make money - but I wonder what the goal line is for them.

From what I've been hearing, the second one will most likely still have that "need to see in theaters" feel to it because of the new underwater tech they're using for the film.

I’m sure the budget for these two films was incredibly high, but I can’t imagine it would be so high that the movie won’t be significantly profitable.

Even if they're successful, I hope Cameron stops after 3. I would hate for him to be stuck making AVATAR movies for the rest of his life, and would much rather see him get to direct other things before his career ends.

Even if they're successful, I hope Cameron stops after 3. I would hate for him to be stuck making AVATAR movies for the rest of his life, and would much rather see him get to direct other things before his career ends.
If they’re successful, sequels will definitely happen. I get what you’re saying, but Disney is gonna own Fox when these movies are released. If they’re hits, you know Disney will milk it until they stop being profitable.

If they’re successful, sequels will definitely happen. I get what you’re saying, but Disney is gonna own Fox when these movies are released. If they’re hits, you know Disney will milk it until they stop being profitable.

Just because something is successful and future Avatar films will be made does not mean that Cameron will be the director behind it. Possibly a producer in name only.
This is true with any brand, but in particular Disney.

I'm aware.

I would just like to see another non-AVATAR movie from Cameron before he's dead.

He seems quite involved with the new Terminator film and I pray that it's a worthy sequel.

I missed Avatar in the cinema and after watching it not that long ago, I kind of regret that so I won't make that mistake again.

I think it could be highly likely that Avatar will return to the big screen before Avatar 2 hits, if it does, would this add to it's box office?

Just because something is successful and future Avatar films will be made does not mean that Cameron will be the director behind it. Possibly a producer in name only.
This is true with any brand, but in particular Disney.
To be clear here, Disney (well, Fox) only has the distribution rights to Avatar. Cameron owns the Avatar brand. Meaning if Cameron wants to direct, he’s gonna direct.

More info coming out of Alita:Battle Angel press rounds from Jon Landau on Avatar sequels. The most interesting bit being that the sequels... aren't sequels at all? Well, according to Landau at least, each movie designed to be a stand-alone movie, so Avatar isn't required viewing before Avatar 2. Basically, it sounds like they are fully aware of everything people have been saying about the movie for years about the characters being forgettable and never gaining a following. Full quote from Landau:

Each movie is a standalone movie that we would wanna go see. You don’t need to have seen the first Avatar to see Avatar 2. It sits there and we’re gonna take people on a visual and an emotional journey that comes to its own conclusion. Okay, step back. Is that a movie we would wanna make just as a standalone story? Yes. Now we do the same thing on Movie 3, Movie 4, and Movie 5. What we have the luxury of on Avatar is the world of Pandora. We get to keep it there but everything can be new, we’re not treading new ground.

The Avatar Sequels Will Be Standalone Movies, According To The Producer