Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Lower Lot Redesign

Since my name is being thrown around...

I do agree that things change. I do understand that there is a push to get more. Its an ongoing evolution. My last source of information was well over 2 months ago. I am looking forward to more as my expectations were high for SNW. But, for now, I will keep my desires low.

I wouldn't be shocked if things changed, to where when Pet's was being relocated; to just shelf Yoshi for Hollywood. After-all, why overuse the same ride system in the same park? It isn't like Orlando, to where the two park's are separate from each other. And outside of Hippogriff/Snoopy in USJ, there isn't that much ride system sharing in the Osaka-based park either.

But in turn, that created a bubble vacuum, because as it seems now; all of the three are intended to have two attractions in some form of base.

I was told of one concept early on, but now I somewhat doubt of that particular possibility..at-least for the time being.

There is however in my opinion, no way in hell that Universal doesn't have two attractions for SNW at Base-form at Hollywood.

Both Chris and Al2020 are reputable. Though, I think Al2020 may be on to something. Plans change just as rapidly (if not more) in Hollywood as they do in Orlando. So it could go either way.

Of these possibilities:

A. MK Only
B. MK & Yoshi
C. MK & DK

I definitely prefer option C. Obviously I would like to get MK, Yoshi, and DK, but that is not possible with the space limitations at Hollywood. I'm more than thrilled if we get MK & DK.

As 2018 leaves us, 2019 draws with it the stir's of change coming to Universal Studios Hollywood..and especially, the Lower Lot.

For New Year's, I wanted to do..give a little something to start the new year. I have been spotted at best, with a bit thankfully right..but I have been wrong. And I fully understand how people will be dissapointed, so I do want to stress that this is always subject to change. Hopefully, with that out of the way of warnings..

I am getting the understanding from a few individuals, that Universal is seeming to be preparing for their next move. And that, it will be dealt with via serious intention of having news out to prepare for the next few years.

Think of it, as the next phase of the Evolution, almost in a similar way to when in 2014..we got Hogsmeade, Supercharged, Nighttime Studio Tour and Springfield all confirmed in the short span of a day (even though they originally revealed Potter prior to that).

All I can say, is that it's looking to be announced either by the end of the fiscal year, or sometime around Q1 of 2019. That may sound like a long stretch of time, but they want to make sure this doesn't affect things on a larger basis than what it will do.

(...Editing this, so this can be ruled out of anyone's thoughts: no, none of the things I have been somewhat told, indicate Universal Hollywood Creative going forward with Diagon Alley. At-least, not anytime soon)

Last edited:
I would agree. Universal doesn't have the luxury of space for the Californian park. And the last thing they would likely want at this point, is bringing into the parks a near 5 year old land.

That's not to say that it isn't something that'd bring in a crowd, as it'd be the second rendition..but if they were to of done that, it would've likely been this year, to compete against Disney.

I would agree. Universal doesn't have the luxury of space for the Californian park. And the last thing they would likely want at this point, is bringing into the parks a near 5 year old land.

That's not to say that it isn't something that'd bring in a crowd, as it'd be the second rendition..but if they were to of done that, it would've likely been this year, to compete against Disney.

Man, Universal has really dropped the ball. They should have of capitalized on the crowds that SWL will bring in 2019 by having an incredible land of their own to debut.

I agree, they should have opened with Diagon or something else to siphon off some of the MASSIVE crowds that will be coming. Missed opportunity.

Man, Universal has really dropped the ball. They should have of capitalized on the crowds that SWL will bring in 2019 by having an incredible land of their own to debut.

I agree, they should have opened with Diagon or something else to siphon off some of the MASSIVE crowds that will be coming. Missed opportunity.

I'm not sure thats the way they see it, they probably figure than any big spend in 2019 will be 'a waste' as SWGE will suck up all the attention next year and any investment in USH will have minimal press coverage - that would be my guess.

Plus USH is still getting consistent investment every year, and Jurassic World looks like a more substantial upgrade/retheme than I first thought... I'm pretty excited for it.

I don't think USH needs to "siphon off" the crowds. I think there is enough of an overlap of Star Wars fans and Harry Potter fans that there will be a non-trivial increase in attendance anyway. I think a lot of people see Disneyland and USH as direct competitors, but they do have somewhat of a symbiotic relationship. As attractions open that draw tourists to southern California, both parks can see an increase in attendance.

I don't think USH needs to "siphon off" the crowds. I think there is enough of an overlap of Star Wars fans and Harry Potter fans that there will be a non-trivial increase in attendance anyway. I think a lot of people see Disneyland and USH as direct competitors, but they do have somewhat of a symbiotic relationship. As attractions open that draw tourists to southern California, both parks can see an increase in attendance.

A rising tide lifts all boats. I get that.

I'm just saying that Universal played their cards right in Orlando with having the Harry Potter coaster opening in 2019 which has many fans almost as excited as SWL.

A similar move at USH would have been strategically smart.

I would doubt that Fantastic Beasts would indicate anything.

Potter is a large IP, that'll make a lot of bank. But considering how tight Universal is on space, they can't exactly afford to waste it.

That's why the Lower Lot and the upcoming soundstages at Red Sea are going to be big to watch.

I know it's hard to believe. There are still a TON of Potter fans out there.
I think the disbelief is not that there are Harry Potter fans, but that Harry Potter fans are as excited for a single new coaster as Star Wars fans are for an entirely new themed land opening on both coasts more or less at the same time.

I think the disbelief is not that there are Harry Potter fans, but that Harry Potter fans are as excited for a single new coaster as Star Wars fans are for an entirely new themed land opening on both coasts more or less at the same time.

Unfortunately, I know people who could care less about Star Wars, but LOVE Harry Potter.

My original point was that using the Potter IP was a good move by USO to siphon off some of the massive crowds that will be visiting SWL and wish USH would have made a similar strategic move.

Judging from the last film’s BO...

Isn't FB a spinoff of HP, but still a separate "beast" if you will?

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be considered part of the HP film franchise, though I could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was meant to be a spin-off but they keep on adding elements from the original films/books. It’s like when the Star Wars prequels keeped referencing the original trilogy. They can’t stand by themselves if they’re still supported by what came before. A good spinoff would be the Shadow of Mordor video game. It’s in the Lord of the Rings universe but doesn't need to rely on that to play.

From @Aaron, Jurassic Outfitters; the Lower Lot Studio Store, and Jurassic Cafe are all now behind walls.

Also..as of now, the restrooms are closed off as-well.

EDIT: Pointing this out, but they are apparently using the restrooms in the Panda Express to mitigate.

Last edited:
You know, all of this talk about the Raptor Run coaster in Orlando is making me jealous. I really wish we would get something like that over here. I want to have an awesome "Taron"-style coaster like Orlando is getting. We all know SFMM is never getting anything like that and Knott's is unlikely to do so.

"But the neighbors and the studio can't tolerate noise, blah, blah, blah...." Yeah, I get it.

If they wanted to build a JW-themed coaster like Orlando is getting, they could build it on the hill, go under the escalator, and go around the area between the parking structure and the JW:RA show building. They would probably have to build some sound walls to keep the noise levels down, but I think they could pull it off. When they were designing the Mummy, they were originally planning a loop over the escalator, but they cut that because of money. Hippogriff is also an outdoor coaster, so they're not totally opposed to building an outdoor coaster.

I think this is going to be a wait-and-see sort of thing. If the Potter coaster and the Raptor Run are big successes, I could see them wanting to push for something like that in Hollywood and work around the restrictions.