Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Artegon Site for New Theme Park?

I would like to see a medium sized theme park just not Disney or Universal related. Maybe Cedar fair, Herschend, Six Flags, could build a theme park at the Artegon spot. A six Flags Park the size of Six Flags America in Largo, MD would do just fine.

No major regional operator will open up a regular park right in the heart of the tourist corridor, IMO. It would be nice to have, yes, but they don't want the direct competition and comparison of the major theme parks. The only possible exception I could see would be Herschend with a more highly themed, boutique kind of park (think more like a hotel/shopping center with some rides as an additional draw). Cedar Fair and Six Flags would be more likely and fare much better to look at a park in a spot like the I-75/Turnpike merge in the Ocala area, or possibly down around Yeehaw Junction if they really want to draw from the Miami metro as well as Central Florida, assuming some residential development were to happen before/in conjunction with that.

At this point, I expect Cinemark to move out after they completely refurb the CityWalk theater, and everything except BassPro will end up demolished. The future of the land at that point will be more wide open. Pipe dream development for me would be the Outlets moving across the road and filling the Artegon building, as the parking and traffic flow situation would be much better, I think, but that will never happen.

No major regional operator will open up a regular park right in the heart of the tourist corridor, IMO. It would be nice to have, yes, but they don't want the direct competition and comparison of the major theme parks. The only possible exception I could see would be Herschend with a more highly themed, boutique kind of park (think more like a hotel/shopping center with some rides as an additional draw). Cedar Fair and Six Flags would be more likely and fare much better to look at a park in a spot like the I-75/Turnpike merge in the Ocala area, or possibly down around Yeehaw Junction if they really want to draw from the Miami metro as well as Central Florida, assuming some residential development were to happen before/in conjunction with that.

At this point, I expect Cinemark to move out after they completely refurb the CityWalk theater, and everything except BassPro will end up demolished. The future of the land at that point will be more wide open. Pipe dream development for me would be the Outlets moving across the road and filling the Artegon building, as the parking and traffic flow situation would be much better, I think, but that will never happen.
CineMark owns that building, not the mall. If the mall is demolished it was designed so it can be easily modified into a stand-alone. I doubt they'd give up that spot.

I can confirm the movie theater and Bass Pro were built before the mall and open during it's construction, they can go back to that setup if the mall ever gets demolished.

The space there really isn't enough for a themepark, and back-of-house, and parking, and the required drainage...

CineMark owns that building, not the mall. If the mall is demolished it was designed so it can be easily modified into a stand-alone. I doubt they'd give up that spot.

I know that, but I don't see them keeping both that and the Universal theater in the long run, and I'd be hard pressed to believe the Artegon location is better than Universal. They could sell it to another operator, but if they can't sell it off, they'd likely ride it until they feel like letting it go. Could be 5 years, could be longer, but I wouldn't expect it to be less than 5.

I know that, but I don't see them keeping both that and the Universal theater in the long run, and I'd be hard pressed to believe the Artegon location is better than Universal. They could sell it to another operator, but if they can't sell it off, they'd likely ride it until they feel like letting it go. Could be 5 years, could be longer, but I wouldn't expect it to be less than 5.
I'd think if anything more locals go to Artegon than Universal. But both are in prime locations but Aretgon is surrounded by a combination of residences and I-drive malls.

Unpopular opinion - nothing is coming to Artegon for the next 5-10 years.

While Disney + Universal go to war with each other, I-Drive suffers. It seems more and more locals driven. Orlando isn't Myrtle Beach or Pigeon Forge. I don't think there's a market for one-off tourist attractions.

A new whatever on the Artegon spot would either have to compete head-on with Disney/Universal/SeaWorld/BuschGardens/Legoland or team up with a bunch of I-Drive attractions to compete with that lot. Merlin seems to be bundling all of their attractions together, so that's a healthy chunk of I-Drive that isn't interested.

yeah, I-Drive and Kissimmee/192 was all about getting the extra days of tourist dollars when Disney didn't have enough to for several days, but now there's tons to do without leaving Disney OR Universal, and there's a LOT of turnover of attractions, restaurants, shops etc. on I-drive since then.

yeah, I-Drive and Kissimmee/192 was all about getting the extra days of tourist dollars when Disney didn't have enough to for several days, but now there's tons to do without leaving Disney OR Universal, and there's a LOT of turnover of attractions, restaurants, shops etc. on I-drive since then.
I've always been so curious who goes to the I-Drive attractions.

I've only been to one thing on I-Drive - WonderWorks. That's because we make a yearly trip to Orlando to see relatives and some years there's just not something big enough to get us to buy theme park tickets. One year, that meant following my aunt's suggestion of going to WonderWorks.

I've always been so curious who goes to the I-Drive attractions.

I've only been to one thing on I-Drive - WonderWorks. That's because we make a yearly trip to Orlando to see relatives and some years there's just not something big enough to get us to buy theme park tickets. One year, that meant following my aunt's suggestion of going to WonderWorks.

my wild guess? people who are on a tighter budget and don't go to the parks the whole time they're visiting?

I've done 20 to 28 days vacation a year in Orlando every year this decade. Every day has been spent at Universal or WDW, except for a handful of breakfasts at Denny's. I'm just one example, but I'd guess many tourists are like me.

While Disney + Universal go to war with each other, I-Drive suffers. It seems more and more locals driven. Orlando isn't Myrtle Beach or Pigeon Forge. I don't think there's a market for one-off tourist attractions.
I disagree with that. When Universal gets their next park open, I think I-Drive (and Seaworld) will win big.

I, and I'm sure many others, like to take a couple days off the tourist attractions I set out to see, and explore something else. The problem recently has been Disney for the week, and the couple days have been going to Universal instead of I-Drive and SeaWorld. I think as the new park opens and Universal cements itself as the destination rather than the one off to Disney's guests, I-Drive will no longer be in competition with Universal to peel off a day or 2 from Disney, it will instead have many more vacations to peel a day or 2 from Universal to get its base. And I think as these "world's tallest" attractions keep getting built between the parks, more and more people will be enticed. The biggest thing is making sure the airport can keep up.

I personally think Legoland made a huge mistake not buying this property and placing their park here instead of out in the middle of nowhere.

when I was younger, and on a tighter budget, we could only afford one day at Disney. The next day would be driving around I drive looking for random stuff to do. Not everyone can afford to go to Disney or UOR for multiple days. Others feel they only need to go one day, and want to do something else.