Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

R-Rated Marvel Films

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
So..this is a topic that should be brought up.

From the Q1 Earnings, Iger has continued to reiterate that Deadpool will remain Rated R.

Disney CEO Promises Marvel Will Keep Making Deadpool Movies – Variety

This comes from concerns over the potential lowering of the level of Deadpool's depictive nature of mature targets. And from the subject of Once Upon A Deadpool being a PG13 rated version.

Additionally, Marvel is seeming to be moving forward with testing the R-Rating in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, starting with the likes of Black Widow.

Marvel Studios May Be Moving Forward With R-Rated Black Widow Film

While we won't know much in this regard, we may get a better picture of the future of the films rating, as it beguns production potentially by the end of the month.

..I'd want to hear from people on this, what would you think of Marvel doing more with the R Rating? What would you do, to separate it from the marvel brand, but keep it connected to the MCU? It's a fascinating question to see how it's handled.

I welcome R rated MCU films. Logan was fantastic and if that's the direction they want to go in with Wolverine again, I'll be happy but it also doesn't restrict the character from appearing in other MCU films, the same with Black Widow. A more adult spy thriller based in the MCU has great potential.

Honestly, I very much agree.

Black Widow in particular, has a door that can be an amazingly intense and engaging spy-tirller, one that addresses topics that are..not of the MCU's typical forte.

I also hope, it could push into the direction of giving a window for the likes of the Netflix characters to get some MCU appreciation.

Just give me at least one permanent death of a major character (besides Thanos and his minions) in Endgame and I'll be happy.

Just give me at least one permanent death of a major character (besides Thanos and his minions) in Endgame and I'll be happy.

...was that meant for the Endgame thread? ;)

__

What makes me interested, if to how they may include Wolverine. I would love to see him break out for the MCU, as the first (unless DP comes first) character from the Fox contract; and to see that strike out as a standout.

I think they’d be smart to use a different label for these movies, like Touchstone used to be for WDC. Maybe make it an MCU movie by Fox instead of giving it the Disney banner.

Black Widow in particular, has a door that can be an amazingly intense and engaging spy-tirller, one that addresses topics that are..not of the MCU's typical forte.

I also hope, it could push into the direction of giving a window for the likes of the Netflix characters to get some MCU appreciation.

I don't think it matters if it matches the MCU forte or not. With all the crazy things that happen in the MCU, I don't think it's too far to assume that plenty of R rated things happen. If it allows for lower budget, bigger or riskier concept and creative films then I think it's certainly an avenue that should be explored.

...was that meant for the Endgame thread? ;)

__

What makes me interested, if to how they may include Wolverine. I would love to see him break out for the MCU, as the first (unless DP comes first) character from the Fox contract; and to see that strike out as a standout.

I can't remember if it was here I read it or not but there's a theory that some people will return after the snapping with mutations that could allow for an easy transition for allowing x-men into the MCU.

I think they’d be smart to use a different label for these movies, like Touchstone used to be for WDC. Maybe make it an MCU movie by Fox instead of giving it the Disney banner.

I'm pretty sure Iger has at least heavily implied that there will still be movies released under the 20th Century Fox banner.

He's certainly said that the Fox Searchlight arm (where Fox's awards contenders have usually come from) will continue to exist.

I can't remember if it was here I read it or not but there's a theory that some people will return after the snapping with mutations that could allow for an easy transition for allowing x-men into the MCU.

Honestly, my guess is that the effects of Endgame with the rumored time travel, will bring some form of spacial influctions; creating a moment where the universe sees elements rewritten.

Afterall, The Eternals is going to be a case where they would have the platform to break the ice on the whole mutation aspect.

I'm pretty sure Iger has at least heavily implied that there will still be movies released under the 20th Century Fox banner.

He's certainly said that the Fox Searchlight arm (where Fox's awards contenders have usually come from) will continue to exist.

I'm guessing, they're going to follow how the comics handle their R-Rated, and dub them in a similar vein to Marvel MAX

Black Widow should in no way be R-rated.

Honestly I think the “R-rated Superhero” thing has worked exactly once (Deadpool 1), and everything else has struggled to convince me its anything more than a gimmick

The good parts of LOGAN had nothing to do with the R Rating

I mean, I wouldn't call Logan simply as a film that had good parts that had nothing to do with the R-rating.

They were able to blend the more mature tones and subjects, alongside the characters in ways that felt more unique for a Marvel film.

To me, Black Widow has that chance as-well; especially if they go into subjects that were pinky-toed in from Ultron.

I mean, I wouldn't call Logan simply as a film that had good parts that had nothing to do with the R-rating.

They were able to blend the more mature tones and subjects, alongside the characters in ways that felt more unique for a Marvel film.

To me, Black Widow has that chance as-well; especially if they go into subjects that were pinky-toed in from Ultron.

An R rating has nothing to do with mature tones and subjects. It has to do with swears and blood (seriously). Black Widow doesn’t need either.

The good parts of Logan were the relationships between the characters, all of which could have been portrayed in a PG-13 movie.

I’m all for R-Rated superhero movies when the characters call for it, but Black Widow just doesn’t feel right to me.

It worked well with the Netflix Marvel series’, definitely as they could’ve never been done as TV-14. But that’s because those characters were right for a harder rating as they’re street level.

Most of Marvel’s characters though work best as PG-13 fare imo.

It worked well with the Netflix Marvel series’, definitely as they could’ve never been done as TV-14. But that’s because those characters were right for a harder rating as they’re street level.

See, outside of Jessica Jones or Punisher, I disagree with this as well. The worst parts of Daredevil and the Heroes for Hire was how much they felt like they had to justify the violence

I welcome R rated MCU films. Logan was fantastic and if that's the direction they want to go in with Wolverine again, I'll be happy but it also doesn't restrict the character from appearing in other MCU films, the same with Black Widow. A more adult spy thriller based in the MCU has great potential.

Logan was the best marvel movie to date by far, for me.

An R rating has nothing to do with mature tones and subjects. It has to do with swears and blood (seriously). Black Widow doesn’t need either.

The good parts of Logan were the relationships between the characters, all of which could have been portrayed in a PG-13 movie.

Lol. They put more graphic violence, nudity, cursing, etc because it made the movie better and more mature.

PG-13 almost always outearns similar movies with R ratings. If it didn’t need to be R, it wouldn’t have been. Logan likely would’ve earned more with a PG-13 rating if all things were equal.

It was better because it was R, and all that the R rating brought with it, period.

I don't know why anyone thought Disney would stop making R-rated Deadpool films. Those movies make a lot of money. Disney likes money.

I don't know why anyone thought Disney would stop making R-rated Deadpool films. Those movies make a lot of money. Disney likes money.
Jkp8z2J.jpg