Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

Went today. Absolutely loved the land. Slinky Dog is the best attraction Disney has built in Orlando since Everest. Aliens are a ton of fun just like Mater our in DCA. Land probably needs another flat ride or two to be really great, but as it stands it wipes the floor with Pandora. Rides are just 10x more fun. Once SWL opens and this becomes more bearable it’ll be even better.

The theming is fun and cute. I liked a lot of the touches I saw.

Overall I really, really like the place, and Slinky Dog is definitely up there with my favorites in WDW.

Reading this I thought this was satire, until I realized what it was up against. I respectfully prefer FoP though.

Reading this I thought this was satire, until I realized what it was up against. I prefer FoP though.

I’ll be honest, I probably prefer Slinky Dog to Everest and Soarin’ as well. It’s just plain old fashioned fun.

I don’t think FoP is anywhere near as fun as Slinky. More expensive bells and whistles? Sure. But personally I wouldn’t be sad if I never rode FoP again. But Slinky will be something I’ll make a point of doing every time I’m at DHS

I’ll be honest, I probably prefer Slinky Dog to Everest and Soarin’ as well. It’s just plain old fashioned fun.

I don’t think FoP is anywhere near as fun as Slinky. More expensive bells and whistles? Sure. But personally I wouldn’t be sad if I never rode FoP again. But Slinky will be something I’ll make a point of doing every time I’m at DHS

Yeah Sean and I were very happy with how much fun that ride is. We hope DHS After Hours is around for HHN so we can get Brown Derby dinner and then do that.

Once SWL opens and this becomes more bearable it’ll be even better.
Not sure that this statement lines up as SWGE will bring more people to the park and yes, they will be there for SW, but the only exit for the land is going to be straight through TSL. The land is going to be hit hard with crowds much larger than what the park is currently seeing. Even if Slinky and Saucers aren't necessarily seen as main draws, the land is still new to most guests that will be coming for SWGE and MMRR will be new as well. That means if you are someone who traveled to WDW even as late as June 2018, there will be FIVE new attractions at DHS for you by the time SWGE opens, plus the new Lightning McQueen show.

DHS is going to be the park that everybody is going to want to go to (although it may eat into a day at Epcot or DAK), but the point is simple - I think lines will stay about where they are now (normally I see Saucers at 30-45 and Slinky at 90-120).

Not sure that this statement lines up as SWGE will bring more people to the park and yes, they will be there for SW, but the only exit for the land is going to be straight through TSL. The land is going to be hit hard with crowds much larger than what the park is currently seeing. Even if Slinky and Saucers aren't necessarily seen as main draws, the land is still new to most guests that will be coming for SWGE and MMRR will be new as well. That means if you are someone who traveled to WDW even as late as June 2018, there will be FIVE new attractions at DHS for you by the time SWGE opens, plus the new Lightning McQueen show.

DHS is going to be the park that everybody is going to want to go to (although it may eat into a day at Epcot or DAK), but the point is simple - I think lines will stay about where they are now (normally I see Saucers at 30-45 and Slinky at 90-120).

Maybe. But I think overall it will improve by spreading FP priority around.

Went today. Absolutely loved the land. Slinky Dog is the best attraction Disney has built in Orlando since Everest. Aliens are a ton of fun just like Mater our in DCA. Land probably needs another flat ride or two to be really great, but as it stands it wipes the floor with Pandora. Rides are just 10x more fun. Once SWL opens and this becomes more bearable it’ll be even better.

Overall I really, really like the place, and Slinky Dog is definitely up there with my favorites in WDW.

I mean this in the absolute best way: reactions like yours are a testament to how wide-ranging and diverse the opinions and tastes of our community here. We're all fans, but we also all come to these attractions looking for different things and with different expectations. And that's a good thing.

I think my experience with the land was partially impeded a bit by being there on a 90+ degree day with the entirety of the park's guests seemingly in the land at the same time I was. I liked what I saw and experienced, relative to the ambition of the land's scope. It mostly succeeds at what it's trying to be, creatively, but - a bit like River Journey in Pandora - I don't think it should be commanding the sort of waits and crowds that it has been.

But that's more a factor of mismanagement of the overall park, not a particular failing of Toy Story Land.

I think my experience with the land was partially impeded a bit by being there on a 90+ degree day with the entirety of the park's guests seemingly in the land at the same time I was. I liked what I saw and experienced, relative to the ambition of the land's scope. It mostly succeeds at what it's trying to be, creatively, but - a bit like River Journey in Pandora - I don't think it should be commanding the sort of waits and crowds that it has been.

Yea, I can see how a hot day could make the place miserable. Going on a cool February day probably helped it a lot.

Unfortunately, with the crowds these parks get, the new things will always be the most crowded. Same reason why SDMT still commands the waits it does at MK.

Well it'll make getting a FP+ for one of these drastically easier, certainly. Right now the "Tier 1" is all Toy Story Land rides. By later this year, I expect Tier 1 to be Smugglers Run, RotR and MMRR, so that then pushes everything down.

Yea, and sadly that’s how Disney rides become “more bearable”, but the evils of FP+ are for another thread

I mean this in the absolute best way: reactions like yours are a testament to how wide-ranging and diverse the opinions and tastes of our community here. We're all fans, but we also all come to these attractions looking for different things and with different expectations. And that's a good thing.

But that's more a factor of mismanagement of the overall park, not a particular failing of Toy Story Land.
Yep, different strokes for different folks. Like you, I was there on a real hot day, 95 F, and it was unbearable back there with no shade. By the time we got on Slinky, with the heat beating down on us and the line well over an hour, the fun was gone before we even got on the ride. An air conditioned queue would have been wise here.....I'm thinking they'll keep Slinky Tier One when the other stuff opens, just to keep the other FP demands down a bit.

Still not sure if satire

This kind of echoes my thoughts on this land as well, I was there in January so it wasn’t super over crowded and 90+ degrees. I will admit I am a bit biased seeing that Toy Story is my all time favorite Disney movie I thought it was well done. Yes it could have used some more shade but it was everything I could expect from the franchise. I thoroughly enjoyed Slinky and Aliens they are fun additions. I don’t agree with being better than FoP but opinions are in the eye of the beholder. Totally missed opportunity for a sit down restaurant and the cut Al’s Toy Barn toy store, I would even be fine if they moved the old pizza planet over here. Thematically it would fit a lot better than over in Muppets courtyard when it was there.

Whoa. Can other people confirm if Slinky Dog really is better than FOP?

I haven't ridden them so I can't form an opinion either way.

It's a matter of opinion. I personally prefer Flight of Passage to Slinky, but I definitely enjoy TSL for what it is. It's a fun little land and I think they generally pull off the idea that you're the size of a toy pretty well. The land is just missing that extra something (either extra flat or a table service). Hell, they could've woven a little RC Racer themed speedway underneath the coaster track if they had designed the coaster with something like that in mind.

Doing that would also allow to finally just axe the Speedway at MK once and for all while still offering a similar experience at DHS that would've been completely in-theme.

It's a matter of opinion. I personally prefer Flight of Passage to Slinky, but I definitely enjoy TSL for what it is. It's a fun little land and I think they generally pull off the idea that you're the size of a toy pretty well. The land is just missing that extra something (either extra flat or a table service). Hell, they could've woven a little RC Racer themed speedway underneath the coaster track if they had designed the coaster with something like that in mind.

Doing that would also allow to finally just axe the Speedway at MK once and for all while still offering a similar experience at DHS that would've been completely in-theme.

Gotcha. From the videos I've seen, Slinky looks like an average kiddie coaster with some cute elements like the Penguin singing at the end.

A jr six flags-style coaster with some Disney touches. I was pretty shocked when JS said it was better than FOP because I've seen video of the queue and ride experience and it looks pretty badass.

Gotcha. From the videos I've seen, Slinky looks like an average kiddie coaster with some cute elements like the Penguin singing at the end.

A jr six flags-style coaster with some Disney touches. I was pretty shocked when JS said it was better than FOP because I've seen video of the queue and ride experience and it looks pretty badass.
It quite literally is a Junior Launch Coaster, which is how Mack describes it on their website. It's nothing crazy, but it's also not Barnstormer. As JS said, it's just pure fun and you don't always have to be going at extremely high speeds to feel that (in this case, things like the bunny hops and multiple launches do).

I think part of Skip saying that is showing his distaste for Pandora more than him saying Slinky Dog is some awesome coaster. He's said quite a few times he does not really care for either ride in Pandora.

Disney built a very fun "kid coaster" (I might even say "family coaster" because I don't feel like I'm about to get thrown out like on Barnstormer/Hippogriff and don't get vital parts of my anatomy crunched like on 7 Dwarves) with a satisfying length. Then they turned the theming up to 11. I'd put it in top 5 WDW rides, and my other 4 would all be in MK.