Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 85 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The tweet makes me think Hellraiser, but I’m not sure. There is risk with Hellraiser, but I don’t see how it would be difficult to translate.

Something that is difficult to translate to “what they do”, would be something that is more atmospheric horror. Something where you don’t “see” the monsters often.

Just because it's out of their comfort zone doesn't mean it's something they've never done. If they jumped on a video game, for example - something they've done (but seemingly not too well), so it's a risk.

Or the concept they're running with itself is a risk. Looking at USF vs USH houses, they typically are a bit different and may not work the same.

Reactions: Kadath
Hey guys, the string of Hollywood posts is all fine and dandy, but I think they'd be better off in the Hollywood HHN thread and not the Orlando one. I can understand if it's quoting from one thread about a shared property for both coasts, but these are pretty focused on Hollywood only.
Pretty sure it was brought up because the two events overlap in properties. The posts following were jokes about that. I think jokes about the events are okay in either thread, but that’s just me.

Reactions: Kadath and hhnlover
I find it ironic people who have never even been to Hollywood’s event are hating on it in this thread. It’s a lot better in person, folks.

Bird Box confirmed :p

Enjoyed Birdbox, but I don’t think there’s enough material for a haunt.
you never even see the “monster.” You hear it through the manifestation of a loved one’s voice.

I find it ironic people who have never even been to Hollywood’s event are hating on it in this thread. It’s a lot better in person, folks.

Enjoyed Birdbox, but I don’t think there’s enough material for a haunt.
you never even see the “monster.” You hear it through the manifestation of a loved one’s voice.
I’ve been to both. Hollywood is consistently disappointing by comparison.

I genuinely feel that Hellraiser is the maze Murdy is mentioning. Sex is a huge theme in the series, I could see there being issues with translating some of that into a maze.

Bird Box confirmed :p

Not exactly what I meant, but a film within that sub genre.

Movies or properties that rely solely upon psychological horror and suspense.

Personally, Bird Box doesn’t fully fall into that category for me. The primary antagonists are other humans, not necessarily the entities. The entities are the primary threat, but other humans are the primary danger. Without the assistance of other humans, the entities must rely upon psychological manipulation. So, in a way it fits if we view the entities as the ones we would be encountering in a house. They wouldn’t be, though. The story already provides an easy fix for a scare. The other humans would be the scare.

Hill House fits if we go by the initial story, not the series. Although, the series lacks the aggressive jump scare factor. Oculus, The Entity, The Watcher in the Woods, and even the first Paranormal Activity fits the hard to translate into a haunted house idea due to lack of monster being seen the best.

Reactions: Kadath and youhow2
I’ve been to both. Hollywood is consistently disappointing by comparison.

It’s a different event. The mazes are designed more like traditional DIY haunts, which I kinda like about it. Their street performers are also way better than Orlando’s. Didn’t think it was a disappointing experience - I had a great time and would go again, no question.

Hill House fits if we go by the initial story, not the series. Although, the series lacks the aggressive jump scare factor. Oculus, The Entity, The Watcher in the Woods, and even the first Paranormal Activity fits the hard to translate into a haunted house idea due to lack of monster being seen the best.

Agreed. I think all these hints are pointing towards Hill House.

So anyway, Murdy tweeted in response that the rights to Hellraiser "were a mess." :(

So ST2, KKFOS, HoHH, Blumhouse in some capacity, and god knows what else.

Just because it's out of their comfort zone doesn't mean it's something they've never done. If they jumped on a video game, for example - something they've done (but seemingly not too well), so it's a risk.

Or the concept they're running with itself is a risk. Looking at USF vs USH houses, they typically are a bit different and may not work the same.

Let's be honest, is there really anything truly "new" they can do anymore? I don't think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
So anyway, Murdy tweeted in response that the rights to Hellraiser "were a mess." :(

So ST2, KKFOS, HoHH, Blumhouse in some capacity, and god knows what else.

Let's be honest, is there really anything truly "new" they can do anymore? I don't think so.
Weird, that's not his normal response when something is coming. I wonder what other classics they could tackle.

Weird, that's not his normal response when something is coming. I wonder what other classics they could tackle.

There's very, very few left...at least, ones in the public conscious enough to be worth marketing. I talked to a lot of people in line for Poltergeist who had no idea it even was a movie.

Ideally, this forces both coasts to do more originals.

Last edited:

They could go full Chiodos brothers and make a critters room to go with KKfOS. Seeing as Scifi/comcast are thinking about a remake/sequel to both anyway...

They could also do something insane like making a room based on a movie which isn't even out yet, like Brightburn or Trick R Treat 2, definitely a high risk high reward play.

Or perhaps we were wrong to think that only 2 netflix rooms were coming when actually its 3.