Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

With Hellraiser gone
Oh?
I'm fairly new to the HHN speculation group, so I was wondering how much paying attention to Murdy can help with speculations for Orlando? I don't know how much houses overlap between the coasts, so maybe you folks have some insight? :thumbsup: (Sorry if this derails the conversation, I've just been curious about it for a while now!)
I don’t pay any attention to him. Most of what he says can interpeted any way you want it to.

If Hellraiser comes to Orlando and not Hollywood after giving the excuse he just gave, Murdy’s Twitter will get mobbed with angry fans.
I honestly wouldn’t be surprised. Hollywood has gotten weird about corporate synergy and what’s considered more “adult” content at HHN (see the Gogo Dancers being removed.)

Last edited:
Must be different sources saying different things. Hollywood’s usual source has said Hellraiser wasnt really in the picture but it’s too big of an IP to be for only one coast

I question if Hellraiser is a “big” (re: well-known) enough property to be a banner IP, but Poltergeist was a banner IP last year and a good number of people had no idea what it even was.

I question if Hellraiser is a “big” (re: well-known) enough property to be a banner IP, but Poltergeist was a banner IP last year and a good number of people had no idea what it even was.

If by banner you mean heavily advertised with signage on the front entrance archway, yes. I would argue Hellraiser is more recognizable to the GP than Poltergiest.

I would say All Nite DIE-In/Silver Screams houses are obsolete now, but it might soon be illegal because of the massive rights limitations 2018 and onward and much more attention on the event than in those years. If they tried "unofficially" using Ghostface and Pinhead now, you can bet your bottom dollar that word would get out and they would be sued.

Agreed, it was mentioned earlier in this thread but it's worth repeating. With the event in today's age of copyrights, IP's belonging to other studios and IP's like Scream, the Conjuring and Ouija slipping through Universal's fingers...I don't see them making a All Night DIE-In type of house with properties they don't own ever again.

For that type of house to be made today, it has to be properties Uni owns. To be honest, Blumhouse of Horrors is the closest you're going to get for a DIE-In house with different IP properties. Your best bet for anything else is a Slaughter Sinema/H.R. Bloodnguts house where A&D can create whatever they want with no problem. (Honestly, I want to see more of those than a IP mash up.)

Now with the restrictions they have, there is one house they can make, and dear lord I wish this comes true some year. A sequel to Silver Screams...featuring the Classic Universal Monsters. The Universal Palace Theater honoring all the classics, with the Usher guiding the way? If there's a dream house of mine, that is one of them.

I think it fits the "classic 70s/80s" slot that has been an unofficial thing since AWIL. Tho, as a child of the 80s, Pinhead was always sort of the R.C. Cola to Jason & Freddy's Coke & Pepsi, while Poltergeist was a legit, zeitgeist-capturing hit in its day, albeit maybe one that didn't age all that gracefully.

I think it fits the "classic 70s/80s" slot that has been an unofficial thing since AWIL. Tho, as a child of the 80s, Pinhead was always sort of the R.C. Cola to Jason & Freddy's Coke & Pepsi, while Poltergeist was a legit, zeitgeist-capturing hit in its day, albeit maybe one that didn't age all that gracefully.

Exactly what I'm saying. Poltergeist earned $121 million (in 1982 dollars). That's roughly as much as the entire Hellraiser franchise has made. However, I think today, they're about equally known.

Though if Pinhead is RC Cola, who's Moon Pie? ;)

If Hellraiser comes to Orlando and not Hollywood after giving the excuse he just gave, Murdy’s Twitter will get mobbed with angry fans.

Would they? Or would they just be happy Hellraiser was at the event?

@Legacy has a point - Murdy's verbiage can be often twisted as needed unless it's a definitive "no." In this case, "loves to do it but rights are tricky" gives him an out if it doesn't pan out (assuming they're looking at it in the first place, which is all still conjecture). If it DOES come... it does mean the rights were tricky! They are! But they worked it out.

My gut says they'd like to but haven't been able to get the stars to align.

One could hope. In a perfect world they'd contract warwick davis to reprise his role for a month. That would be a pretty amusing 5th house if the others speculated are true.

In a perfect world, everyone leaves Warwick Davis free to film the heavily rumored Willow 2.

While Leprechaun was deliciously bad, I would prefer an original take on the Aos Sí.

If by banner you mean heavily advertised with signage on the front entrance archway, yes. I would argue Hellraiser is more recognizable to the GP than Poltergiest.

For what it's worth, I knew of Poltergeist and was somewhat familiar with it before I watched last year (I've never been a big horror person), but I have no idea what happens in Hellraiser.

If it’s DMW then that’ll be the second original house based off The Fog:grin: Could see it translating really well though

I'm willing to bet that if they did that, it would have the slanted deck.

Exactly what I'm saying. Poltergeist earned $121 million (in 1982 dollars). That's roughly as much as the entire Hellraiser franchise has made. However, I think today, they're about equally known.

Though if Pinhead is RC Cola, who's Moon Pie? ;)

After more thought, Pinhead is more recognizable as an icon in horror than any of the actual creatures in Poltergeist, but the little girl kneeling in front of the staticky TV and "They're Here" is definitely more recognizable to the GP.

After more thought, Pinhead is more recognizable as an icon in horror than any of the actual creatures in Poltergeist, but the little girl kneeling in front of the staticky TV and "They're Here" is definitely more recognizable to the GP.

I guess that begs the question of who Universal wants to pull in more - the GP or horror fans? Stranger Things was most definitely a GP move.