Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 232 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I mean. I don’t know why but it doesn’t both me that much. I really didn’t think this was coming to DHS until October/November and Disneyland June/July...

And there is a precedent of lands opening before attractions. New Orleans Square, I believe Tomorrowland had this, and I’m sure others.

Maybe they should have called this an announced soft opening?
Hell didn't Diagon open without Gringotts?

Personally I think the land looks amazing - very Star Wars.

it's really still too early to talk colors, there will undoubtedly be more planting to go in plus once all the characters and stalls are dropped in there will be plenty of color.

We have all seen the below before but I would imagine we still have greenery to be added and the softer placemaking elements like in the concept art and model:
swl-1000x520.jpg

IMG_40211.jpg

Last edited:
But Gringotts wasn’t ready.

I’d rather they open the land at a sensible time, rather then during the holiday rush, while also getting RotR right. If they were opening this with both rides, but RotR wasn’t ready for prime time, i’d be more mad from a guest perspective.

Call it greedy, double-dipping, whatever you want, but having it open during a slow time rather than the busiest time of the year is just smart from an ops perspective.

Reactions: alomar and HereWeGo
But Gringotts wasn’t ready.

I’d rather they open the land at a sensible time, rather then during the holiday rush, while also getting RotR right. If they were opening this with both rides, but RotR wasn’t ready for prime time, i’d be more mad from a guest perspective.

Call it greedy, double-dipping, whatever you want, but having it open during a slow time rather than the busiest time of the year is just smart from an ops perspective.

What wasn’t ready? The finale door? Cmon now.

Reactions: HPFred
Personally, I'm irked that Disney has the balls to open the land "unfinished". This is your darling land, the one everyone has been waiting for.

Open it as one complete experience, or don't open it at all.

And if it sat done but closed there’d be complaints of them leaving money on the table and a #OpenGalaxysEdge campaign.

I remember softs in June without Gringotts. And then running Hogwarts Express before the land opened.

What wasn’t ready? The finale door? Cmon now.
The ride was consistently breaking down. This is well documented.

Point is, would you REALLY rather they open this right around Thanksgiving or Christmas? The crowds are already bad enough during that time. Yeah, ideally you’d love to have both rides open at once, but the practicality of crowd management by opening in August is a big win as the big crowds will be there when the resort is usually at its softest.

Softs are one thing. “Official” openings I expect everything to be open. Technical difficulties can happen, are expected, and are understandable - but that’s not the case here.

Toh-May-Toh, Toh-Mah-Toh. Is the hand up really over Disney saying “opening” vs “soft opening”?

Reactions: therock
Classic case of Disney double dipping...Open "Phase 1" and start getting your ROI from food and beverage sales as well as all the other souvenirs they'll be offering and then open "Phase 2" which will bring the original rush of people back to experience Rise of the Resistance as well as all the people who waited to experience the fully finished land.
Disney has opened phased before - New Orleans Square opened without Pirates (8 months later) or Mansion (2 years later). Disneyland itself opened without all rides operating, as did Walt Disney World. And opening before everything is ready to run can be disastrous ---- look at Universal's opening. At least this is an announced phase opening.

I have to agree with Brian in the sense that Disney should have waited on an official opening while just soft-opening the rest of the area, for months if need be. That way Disney can have their cake and eat it too by giving guests access and spend money without having to commit to a complete experience.

The ride was consistently breaking down. This is well documented.

Point is, would you REALLY rather they open this right around Thanksgiving or Christmas? The crowds are already bad enough during that time. Yeah, ideally you’d love to have both rides open at once, but the practicality of crowd management by opening in August is a big win as the big crowds will be there when the resort is usually at its softest.

I mean , ours is - Disneyland is opening right at the start of Summer peak season. I’m only making the comment on here because it’s my home base. Either way, I don’t care when they open it, just open as a whole.

As far as Gringotts goes.... the land soft opened July 3 or 4, just 4 days before opening and Gringotts didn’t soft open at all. When the land officially opened, Gringotts ran at half capacity and gradually added more throughout the summer. Yes, it has breakdowns, but it wasn’t “consistently”. No matter how much testing one does, it still doesn’t prepare for a peak season full of people riding. Either way - the issue was the finale door causing problems, to which they just left open until the peak slowed down and they were able to address it.

Toh-May-Toh, Toh-Mah-Toh. Is the hand up really over Disney saying “opening” vs “soft opening”?

There are literally differences in each meaning. That’s why we have a Soft Opening warning/explanation every time a new ride comes around.

What if this ends up being a Test Track-level issue with RotR, though? You can’t just expect them to sit on this land if they don’t know when they’ll be able to get the ride to run consistently as it is intended to.
I think this is the fascinating aspect of the whole thing. If RotR is having enough issues that they're comfortable opening everything else earlier than what was expected, how long can we expect to wait for RotR?

There are either serious problems with Rise of the Resistance or it is just a tactic to disperse the crowds throughout that first month of June at Disneyland and August at WDW.