Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brightline Station Coming to Orlando

I'm just happy to see some investment in High speed mass transit that isn't an airline. Looking at the prices, i can see people taking the train to WDW from the airport instead of taking car/uber/magical express. It looks more comfortable than the trains in Europe and Asia which most use to travel on.

I'm just happy to see some investment in High speed mass transit that isn't an airline. Looking at the prices, i can see people taking the train to WDW from the airport instead of taking car/uber/magical express.
This isn’t a high speed rail (speed currently maxes out at 78mph, which is about what the SunRail can do), but I totally agree. Especially in Florida, where any form of transit that isn’t a car hasn’t existed (or is ancient) in pretty much the whole state.

I'm just happy to see some investment in High speed mass transit that isn't an airline. Looking at the prices, i can see people taking the train to WDW from the airport instead of taking car/uber/magical express. It looks more comfortable than the trains in Europe and Asia which most use to travel on.
I can't see many families whose flights arrive at MCO's north terminal complex paying for the privilege of riding the APM to the intermodal terminal, then the train to WDW, and finally a bus to their hotel if given the alternative of door to door service on DME.

I really think this is targeted at people coming to Disney from within Florida.

I can't see many families whose flights arrive at MCO's north terminal complex paying for the privilege of riding the APM to the intermodal terminal, then the train to WDW, and finally a bus to their hotel if given the alternative of door to door service on DME.

All the families I personally know hate riding the magical express and already are paying to take a uber, taxi, towncar, or rental car just to get the resort. Most if not all would hope on the train especially since they are including alcoholic beverages in "first tier" cabin for 30 bucks may change that tune in a heartbeat as well as not being on smaller bus.

All the families I personally know hate riding the magical express and already are paying to take a uber, taxi, towncar, or rental car just to get the resort. Most if not all would hope on the train especially since they are including alcoholic beverages in "first tier" cabin for 30 bucks may change that tune in a heartbeat as well as not being on smaller bus.
After the train drops them off right next to I-4 how are they going to get the rest of the way to their hotel?

Magical Express is a hassle though, especially if you’re staying at one of the hotels at the back half of the stops.

The only thing DME has going for it is being free. Otherwise, you have to abide by their schedule instead of whenever you want with the Virgin Train.

After the train drops them off right next to I-4 how are they going to get the rest of the way to their hotel?
A bus that takes them DIRECT to their resort instead of the DME, which stops at every resort...

You’re severely underselling how popular something like this existing as an option will be. Especially if Disney just straight up ends the DME program and partners with Virgin with ticket packages (form the rail) that can be bought on the WDW website.

A bus that takes them DIRECT to their resort instead of the DME, which stops at every resort...

You’re severely underselling how popular something like this existing as an option will be. Especially if Disney just straight up ends the DME program and partners with Virgin with ticket packages (form the rail) that can be bought on the WDW website.

I still just don't see Brightline's traditional model being very conducive to convenient transfers between WDW and MCO, nor do I see Disney ending DME without a free replacement, because that would defeat the purpose of the program.

However, I wouldn't be totally surprised if Disney contracts with Virgin/Brightline to run more frequent, lower-class, direct, Disney-exclusive trains between MCO and WDW as a replacement for DME. It's basically a question of whether that would be cheaper for them than running the current DME system.

I still just don't see Brightline's traditional model being very conducive to convenient transfers between WDW and MCO, nor do I see Disney ending DME without a free replacement, because that would defeat the purpose of the program.

However, I wouldn't be totally surprised if Disney contracts with Virgin/Brightline to run more frequent, lower-class, direct, Disney-exclusive trains between MCO and WDW as a replacement for DME. It's basically a question of whether that would be cheaper for them than running the current DME system.

I agree with you. Right of way is the largest cost to building rail and once they have it a second slower speed line "magical express rail" wouldn't cost that much more. They might get $DIS to fund that cost.

Are they still trying to connect this to the convention center area as well?

Looks like one of the proposed routes goes through that area, so hopefully!

JnUbfj5.png

kXvWLIO.jpg

I would hope they will go for the Convention/Universal area route rather than the southern route just to Disney, but I'm guessing Disney will throw their weight around and get them to bypass the I-Drive area.

I would hope they will go for the Convention/Universal area route rather than the southern route just to Disney, but I'm guessing Disney will throw their weight around and get them to bypass the I-Drive area.
I don't think Disney has that kind of power. This train line goes over a lot of public + private land and concessions have to be made to those people.

The argument for a I-Drive stop is that I-Drive acts as a hedge against Disney (what if Disney ever hits hard times?) and it provides more value to locals who have to deal with the train.

Except Disney's line has always been "If you want to build a station on our property, the train can't stop anywhere else in Orlando besides the airport"

Except Disney's line has always been "If you want to build a station on our property, the train can't stop anywhere else in Orlando besides the airport"

Has it? Or is that only when there's other funding. For a company that's trying to reduce its carbon footprint in any way possible this train, no matter where it stops, would be a benefit to the resort. They could even splurge for a special ME train.

Mark my words, Disney is suddenly embracing this because they're making a deal to exclude any other Orlando attractions.

You'd think Disney would want it to stop by the convention center somewhere so all those people's families can pop down to see Mickey easier.

Looks like one of the proposed routes goes through that area, so hopefully!

JnUbfj5.png

kXvWLIO.jpg

I'm intrigued that neither of those routes goes to the Sunrail station they were talking about having a stop at.

Also, there was an unconfirmed report a couple of weeks ago that they are planning to separate shuttle trains between MCO and the Disney station, which would make it far more usable as Magical Express replacement. Source: http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2019/04/08-virgin-trains-gets-ok-for-more-bond-sales