Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Dolittle (2019 film)

I just heard about this on the Universal Pictures instagram this past week. Apparently its for a 4/12/19 release.

gallery-1526041810-robert-downey-jr-filming-dr-doolittle.jpg

I have a few friends working on this film aaaand they've all said it's a bit of a mess right now. That's why the date got pushed back to 2020 release. They're trying to figure out how to re-work it and hopefully save it.

I have a few friends working on this film aaaand they've all said it's a bit of a mess right now. That's why the date got pushed back to 2020 release. They're trying to figure out how to re-work it and hopefully save it.

The current January release date certainly doesn't help at this point.

Yeah this film is currently sitting at a $175 million budget. Unless they can REALLY turn this thing around, it's going to flop hard.

Yeah this film is currently sitting at a $175 million budget. Unless they can REALLY turn this thing around, it's going to flop hard.
And that’s not including the Marketing budget, either. With this being a January release, I don’t see how it succeeds at a level that it even makes back its production cost, never mind anything after that.

Does anyone recall a movie that was pushed back 9 months and had 3 weeks worth of reshoots with two different directors and still turned out ok?
I guess Solo was maybe the most successful at them, but certainly wasn’t seen as a success.

This has flip written all over it. What a shame (although the concept was a bit bad to begin with).

Does anyone recall a movie that was pushed back 9 months and had 3 weeks worth of reshoots with two different directors and still turned out ok?
I guess Solo was maybe the most successful at them, but certainly wasn’t seen as a success.

This has flip written all over it. What a shame (although the concept was a bit bad to begin with).
Solo was a pretty good, if unnecessary, movie. Problem was all of the negative buzz around Star Wars and Solo in general leading up to the films release.

I think time will be kind to SOLO. I rewatched it this weekend and still think - a couple of clunky moments aside - it's a really fun time.

But anyway, DOCTOR DOLITTLE... I've felt the movie was an expensive risk for quite a while, and the need for reshoots doesn't change my assessment at this point.

Last edited:
Solo was a pretty good, if unnecessary, movie. Problem was all of the negative buzz around Star Wars and Solo in general leading up to the films release.

I think time will be kind to SOLO. I rewatched it this weekend and still think - a couple of clunky moments asides - it's a really fun time.

Sorry, I meant commercially. I was fine with Solo as well for what it was.

EVERY movie has reshoots, so that's not the big issue. The big issue is they seem to be lengthy and reworking a film that just was not coming together, not to mention needing to bring in new (and pretty mediocre at best) directors. This thing has disaster written all over it. In no world should a Doctor Doolittle movie cost over 100 million dollars, let alone near 200mill.

The main issue was they hired an inadequate director at RDJ's request to film this while not ensuring he had the skill to complete this project. It turns out he did not and put out a poor product. The reshoots mainly focused on ensuring the animation could be done.

The original Dr Dolitte also was very expensive with problematic production and ironically history is repeating itself.

I'm not writing this off as a flop because I haven't seen anything and some films with reshoots have been very successful as well as some films that were rewritten mid filming. The only worrisome point is the budget being so large.