Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2) | Page 35 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I think people are expecting this to happen much quicker than it likely will. It's not like they are just tacking on a park to an existing resort, they are building an entire new resort from scratch, with a new citywalk type area, presumably a few hotels, all the roadways that go along with this (as it will completely transform this area forever as far as traffic flow goes). They also have to get people from Point A to Point B (UO North and South). There will be bus lanes, but I still think there's a chance that if they work with the city/county long enough, they can get some sort of alternate transportation in place. Maybe a PRT or Gondola that also goes and stops at the OCCC and I-Drive 360?
I still have hope for a monorail loop. It’s the perfect distance and monorail has a higher capacity and just makes sense for a system that just drops people off back and force between the two Universal campuses. Assuming Orange County, Orlando, and/or the FDOT work out a right of way agreement (with Universal) over current public spaces connecting the property, the ROW for the entire line is mostly in place already. I’m guessing there are still parcels of land Universal has their eyes on.

Last edited:
I still have hope for a monorail loop. It’s the perfect distance and monorail has a higher capacity and just makes sense for a system that just drops people off back and force between the two Universal campuses. Assuming Orange County, Orlando, and/or the FDOT work out a right of way agreement (with Universal) over current public spaces connecting the property, the ROW for the entire line is mostly in place already. I’m guessing there are still I purchased parcels of land Universal has their eyes on.

I doubt there will ever be a monorail, for basically the same reasons that Disney hasn't expanded theirs. Fixed rail transit systems are really expensive, and the layout of the resort will never be conducive to an effective routing that stops enough places to make it worth the cost.

At first thought, we would say the system should connect the two Citywalk areas (and maybe an ESR stop if it is on the route). However if a Universal hotel guest wants to visit the parks in the other resort area, they would first need to take a bus (or a boat, or walking) to get to the monorail station, and then ride the monorail to the other Citywalk area before they could enter the parks. From a guest prospective, this multiple ride scheme is likely to be considered as less convenient than just taking a direct bus.

You might be able to alter the path and extend it to add stops at a few more hotels in the south resort area, but it will complicated and a significant increase in cost because the hotels are going to be spread in many directions from where the south city walk is likely to be. That still wouldn't really help guests at the current north resorts, and would also make it harder to add stops at the convention center and a possible future I-drive light rail station.

I doubt there will ever be a monorail, for basically the same reasons that Disney hasn't expanded theirs. Fixed rail transit systems are really expensive, and the layout of the resort will never be conducive to an effective routing that stops enough places to make it worth the cost.

At first thought, we would say the system should connect the two Citywalk areas (and maybe an ESR stop if it is on the route). However if a Universal hotel guest wants to visit the parks in the other resort area, they would first need to take a bus (or a boat, or walking) to get to the monorail station, and then ride the monorail to the other Citywalk area before they could enter the parks. From a guest prospective, this multiple ride scheme is likely to be considered as less convenient than just taking a direct bus.

You might be able to alter the path and extend it to add stops at a few more hotels in the south resort area, but it will complicated and a significant increase in cost because the hotels are going to be spread in many directions from where the south city walk is likely to be. That still wouldn't really help guests at the current north resorts, and would also make it harder to add stops at the convention center and a possible future I-drive light rail station.
I would imagine that all options are on the table as for what they may use use as a transportation system between the three areas (including WNW). I would even go as far as to say that there is even a high likelihood that even gonzola cable cars may have been chosen or is being considered. I imagine that any fixed route system would utilize the current parking structure for as a connection for a station at the north end. We know now that the southern campus will not have a parking structure but could have one further in the future. A monorail could loop through the southern campus and connect directly to the resorts and theme park(s) there (like the Magic Kingdom monorail loop over at WDW does).

It should be noted that Virgin will be connecting their rail to Disney and the Orlando International Airport.

All I was saying don’t mean to think way way way ahead after the 3rd or 4th park is built Fantastic Worlds which will open with a few hotels I’m sure and a citywalk when all done like in 2023 or 2024 do they have like 50-60 acres left of what they want to do? It doesn’t have to be a second water park and 5th theme park I just thought they have very little space on what Universal Orlando/Comcast wants to do down the line in the not too distant future.

Do you suppose that this palm tree is X marks the center of the new park?

Don't know about center of the park, but I do believe that the tree represents the end of ground prep. So actual foundation work should be next.
giphy.gif

When do people think we'll finally get an announcement on this? I still feel Nintendo will be the catalyst that lets the cat out of the bag. Whether it’s the next time we get a big news dump on it or around the time it opens in Japan. I say this because I believe Nintendo has a fair amount control here regarding info on their partnership. If it was all Universal I highly doubt it would’ve been announced in 2015.

When do people think we'll finally get an announcement on this? I still feel Nintendo will be the catalyst that lets the cat out of the bag. Whether it’s the next time we get a big news dump on it or around the time it opens in Japan. I say this because I believe Nintendo has a fair amount control here regarding info on their partnership. If it was all Universal I highly doubt it would’ve been announced in 2015.

I agree Nintendo pushed them to announce it early to help their stock price, same for FOX and Disney with the Avatar announcement.

As for when, I imagine 2021 would be a good time as any. Two years out, lots of people flying in for the WDW 50th, etc.

I feel as though they have to announce some type of opening date for Nintendo in Japan before this year is up, even if it’s just the year and maybe the season. It’s possible they give a hint as to when Hollywood may be opening during that same announcement. And also, the teensiest of mentions for Orlando and Singapore without any details whatsoever, only that they’re getting a land as well. My guess anyway.

I feel as though they have to announce some type of opening date for Nintendo in Japan before this year is up, even if it’s just the year and maybe the season. It’s possible they give a hint as to when Hollywood may be opening during that same announcement. And also, the teensiest of mentions for Orlando and Singapore without any details whatsoever, only that they’re getting a land as well. My guess anyway.
I’d guess we’d finally get art that’s specific to Orlando and they’ll make it official that, yes, it’s in a brand new park.

It's Universal, so announcement maybe 3 weeks before grand opening haha.

Permit update from the last few weeks:

- On April 5th Universal submitted another updated version of infrastructure plans for the new park area. It remains to be seen whether these plans will get any closer to development review approval than the last two sets did.

- On March 28th Universal applied for building permits for three large construction trailers on the southern portion of the property. The addresses are listed as 4200, 4202, and 4204 Destination Parkway. These permits were approved on April 10th.

- On April 11th Universal applied for building permits for "site work only" on the two warehouse and office development plans. Getting these approved could still be a lengthy process, but it at least shows they are getting closer to starting real construction. The addresses they registered for these development projects are 4700 and 5100 W Sand Lake Road. The project names on these end with (931A) and (931B), so I'm wondering if 931 might be the project number they are using for these areas?

Don't know about center of the park, but I do believe that the tree represents the end of ground prep. So actual foundation work should be next.
giphy.gif

I believe that there is still more land prep to be done and that construction is still a ways off, but these permits give the impression that the activity level might begin to pick up with construction beginning later in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.