Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on the side of Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge not really being "2 Coasters". Yes there were technically two separate tracks and trains, and each track was somewhat unique. But overall it's essentially the same experience of an invert with very similar designs, just some different twists and turns here and there. But they had the same number of inversions, roughly went the same speed. Unless you've ridden it dozens of times to identify the different nuances, to the regular person who's done it only a few times it essentially feels like the same ride.

I've probably ridden it 10+ times and I couldn't tell you the difference between the two.

The analogy I like to use is:

Would you call Star Tours one ride or 384 rides, because the combination of different videos (that each have their own unique movements, visual scenes etc.) makes for 384 "unique rides".

One attraction, two experiences, two coasters

Bingo!

Dueling Dragons was one attraction with 2 separate coasters offering similar experiences. But the key point is that it offered twice the capacity in the high thrill category. Adding back the Potter coaster still doesn't help the lost capacity in the high thrill category. Adding a high thrill coaster will take some of the stress off of Hulk.

I think this is the most important point of it all. Regardless if you agree or not, it's still lost capacity.

Either way, there isn't a coaster problem at the parks, so....

Dueling Dragons was one attraction with 2 separate coasters offering similar experiences. But the key point is that it offered twice the capacity in the high thrill category. Adding back the Potter coaster still doesn't help the lost capacity in the high thrill category. Adding a high thrill coaster will take some of the stress off of Hulk.
good points all :thumbsup:

Hm, early 2021. Should we expect anything new at the resort then for 2020? Sorry if the has been discussed endlessly here, if someone wants to direct me to a better thread thats fine!

Hm, early 2021. Should we expect anything new at the resort then for 2020? Sorry if the has been discussed endlessly here, if someone wants to direct me to a better thread thats fine!
It's way too early to tell, but we can hopefully expect the Terminator replacement to open by 2020. I'm still in the 2020 camp for the JW coaster, but there's a lot of variables in play for that.

Here's what some (including TPU) have as the rumored/projected timeline:
It was previously rumored that Bourne would open 2019 and JP Coaster for 2020, so if TPU is correct then things are getting delayed a bit while Universal possibly focuses their efforts on Fantastic Worlds (estimated/rumored around 2023 or later). Of course, I and others hope that they are wrong. :)

Other projects which may be purely speculation or based on rumor (remember, nothing confirmed), includes the following:
  • Jurassic World revamping the Jurassic Park River Adventure ride in Orlando - Some say that if the revamp in Hollywood is successful, Uni may bring it to Orlando.
  • Secret Lives of Pets - Similar to the above... some speculate that Orlando will get a clone of the USH attraction, depending on how well received in Hollywood it is. Some speculate it would replace Shrek. Earlier rumors/speculation had this replacing the Toon Lagoon Amphitheater.
  • Volcano Bay expansion - There's a spot of land attached to VB which is speculated to be set aside for future expansion. It's possible we could see movement in the near future.
  • Pokemon replacing KidZone - it had been rumored that the KZ construction would begin earlier this year for a Pokemon replacement... that obviously didn't happen. TPU is suggesting 'Pokemon and Zelda are cancelled' essentially (keep in mind, they were never confirmed), while others are suggesting they are just delayed/shelved for the time being.
  • Zelda replacing LC - See above. While this had never been rumored to begin any time soon, there is speculation that this is now being delayed even further out on the timeline (e.g., FW first, Pokemon after, Zelda after).
  • Ministry of Magic - Some speculated that MOM would replace Fear Factor. The speculation has died down heavily and almost no one is claiming this is possible for USF in the near future. (Some speculate it will be coming to FW instead.)
  • Sing on Tour - a bit of a stretch, but it's possible that the USJ attraction comes to Orlando.
Keep in mind... there was an "Amber Minecart" ride speculated for Jurassic Park (IOA) for years (decades?). It would have been located exactly where we're getting the rumored high-speed raptor themed coaster.

If you wish to discuss the above topics, I would recommend clicking on the links provided. :)

Last edited:
Rumors (including from TPU) have the (rumored/projected) timeline as:
It was previously rumored that Bourne would open 2019 and JP Coaster for 2020, so if TPU is correct then things are getting delayed a bit while Universal possibly focuses their efforts on Fantastic Worlds (estimated/rumored around 2023 or later). Of course, I and others hope that they are wrong. :)

Other projects which may be purely speculation or based on rumor (remember, nothing confirmed), includes the following:
  • Jurassic World revamping the Jurassic Park River Adventure ride in Orlando - Some say that if the revamp in Hollywood is successful, Uni may bring it to Orlando.
  • Secret Lives of Pets - Similar to the above... some speculate that Orlando will get a clone of the USH attraction, depending on how well received in Hollywood it is. Some speculate it would replace Shrek. Earlier rumors/speculation had this replacing the Toon Lagoon Amphitheater.
  • Volcano Bay expansion - There's a spot of land attached to VB which is speculated to be set aside for future expansion. It's possible we could see movement in the near future.
  • Pokemon replacing KidZone - it had been rumored that the KZ construction would begin earlier this year for a Pokemon replacement... that obviously didn't happen. TPU is suggesting 'Pokemon and Zelda are cancelled' essentially (keep in mind, they were never confirmed), while others are suggesting they are just delayed/shelved for the time being.
  • Zelda replacing LC - See above. While this had never been rumored to begin any time soon, there is speculation that this is now being delayed even further out on the timeline (e.g., FW first, Pokemon after, Zelda after).
  • Ministry of Magic - Some speculated that MOM would replace Fear Factor. The speculation has died down heavily and almost no one is claiming this is possible for USF in the near future. (Some speculate it will be coming to FW instead.)
Keep in mind... there was an "Amber Minecart" ride speculated for Jurassic Park (IOA) rumored/speculated for years (decades?). It would have been located exactly where we're getting the rumored high-speed raptor themed coaster.

If you wish to discuss the above topics, I would recommend clicking on the links provided. :)

Wow, this is incredibly helpful! Guess I know what I'm doing this afternoon lol. Thanks a bunch!!! I remember the Ministry of Magic Rumors and The Mine Cart from way before Kong, ah, the good old days!

Seems odd they won't have Bourne ready yet, Terminator has been closed for quite sometime. You'd think with Hagrid opening and the influx of guests coming in opening another new show may increase business for them even more. If not at the very least, spread out summer crowds more and create a better guest experience. Universal has an opportunity to win over some people this summer with all the Star Wars and Harry Potter people coming to Orlando at once. Will be interesting to see how both parks handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.