Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USF)

Can't believe this is actually happening. I was dissapointed to hear the FJ was losing 3D (bc that meant it wasn't coming to Orl), but I felt it was a little more justified because it's a high motion ride that was already disorienting (though I blame that on the sometimes dull and blurry projections) and it was converted 3D if I recall correctly (I guess with how much CG most of the scenes contain, it didn't look as bad as other conversions but still).

I'm very curious about what the specific complaint from this group of people typically is. It seems incredibly unlikely to me that this would boost overall guest satisfaction.

This is just weird. Kong would be much worse to me without 3D (as evidenced by F&F). 3D pluses every media based attraction and with the death of 3D at the theater (not really, but fewer movies are doing it and most people complain about the glasses when I bring it up), these experiences are actually becoming special again, especially when you consider the quality.

Can't believe this is actually happening. I was dissapointed to hear the FJ was losing 3D (bc that meant it wasn't coming to Orl), but I felt it was a little more justified because it's a high motion ride that was already disorienting (though I blame that on the sometimes dull and blurry projections) and it was converted 3D if I recall correctly (I guess with how much CG most of the scenes contain, it didn't look as bad as other conversions but still).

I'm very curious about what the specific complaint from this group of people typically is. It seems incredibly unlikely to me that this would boost overall guest satisfaction.

This is just weird. Kong would be much worse to me without 3D (as evidenced by F&F). 3D pluses every media based attraction and with the death of 3D at the theater (not really, but fewer movies are doing it and most people complain about the glasses when I bring it up), these experiences are actually becoming special again, especially when you consider the quality.
Yes, I took my 3D glasses off once when going through Reign of Kong. It was terrible, the screen was somewhat blurred and double/triple figures in spots.

Not sure if this was brought up or not, if so I apologize I've been pretty out of the loop.

Kids under 3 should not watch 3D at all (can impact binocular development) and other reports (not sure how factual in today's day and age) are stating that it should be limited (not completely avoided) up until much higher ages.

Would this result in a lower ride height to "ride"? Could this be a preliminary step for the elimination of Kids Zone?

Not sure if this was brought up or not, if so I apologize I've been pretty out of the loop.

Kids under 3 should not watch 3D at all (can impact binocular development) and other reports (not sure how factual in today's day and age) are stating that it should be limited (not completely avoided) up until much higher ages.

Would this result in a lower ride height to "ride"? Could this be a preliminary step for the elimination of Kids Zone?

I remember looking in to the 3D for kids thing years back and what I found was binocular development was mostly established by age 3. I didn't have a problem letting my kids when they were toddlers wear 3D glasses for rides as it's usually just for 3-5 minutes. I erred on the side of caution for 3D movies and didn't let them watch until they were at least 6 or until they at least had a comprehensive eye exam including dilation.

I think the ride height has to do with the ride manufacturer's safety restrictions and won't be lowered if 3D is removed.

As of today, the ride is still 3D in Orlando. I'm still holding out hope they're going to use USH to test whether or not guests actually enjoy the experience more or less before deciding what to do. Lord knows removing 3D from F&F really did wonders to improve THAT ride experience. </s>

It's been a mixed bag on social media. Some love it, some hate it, some see it as a hopeful first step of the ride's closure....

At this point, it seems the best way to describe the change is "Your mileage may vary".

Yes, I took my 3D glasses off once when going through Reign of Kong. It was terrible, the screen was somewhat blurred and double/triple figures in spots.

Movies designed for 3d glasses aren't designed to be watched without them. It projects multiple versions of the image on the screen then the glassed combine them to make the 3d effect. I've noticed this on movies at theaters. I'm not sure if they have to use a different film or just shut off all but one of the projections to make it 2d, but it won't show the effect you are talking about.

Movies designed for 3d glasses aren't designed to be watched without them. It projects multiple versions of the image on the screen then the glassed combine them to make the 3d effect. I've noticed this on movies at theaters. I'm not sure if they have to use a different film or just shut off all but one of the projections to make it 2d, but it won't show the effect you are talking about.

You just project one eye (left I think is usual) and remove the filter that “encodes” the image for the glasses. Of course the film is designed for the 3D system and its inherent light losses and won’t look exactly right if that’s all they do. It gets a lot brighter for one thing.

I rode this for the first time last week too.

Couldn't believe what a horrid, poor attraction this was. This type of screen attraction, where you aren't immersed into the screen (ie, you can see the walls around you, ceilings, other people infront of you, etc) is the type of screen attraction that gives screen attractions a bad name.

For such a huge IP, one that is being exported to Singapore and Beijing, i was shocked how awful it was.

Couldn't believe what a horrid, poor attraction this was. This type of screen attraction, where you aren't immersed into the screen (ie, you can see the walls around you, ceilings, other people infront of you, etc) is the type of screen attraction that gives screen attractions a bad name.

For such a huge IP, one that is being exported to Singapore and Beijing, i was shocked how awful it was.
GSATs beg to differ with your opinion.

I personally find it to be one of the best motion simulators out there. I'd go on it every time if it wasn't for the ridiculous line of kids at all hours of the day.

Minion Mayhem is fun. I think Race Through New York offers a better ride experience, but Minion Mayhem has a better story and features characters that feel much more at home in a theme park setting. So advantage to the Minions.

To me, the "problem" with each ride is that the other exists. The park simply doesn't need both of them.

Kong and Fallon are 36”. I suppose one could argue that since those aren’t as “kid friendly” that those can’t be compared.
But then how does that explain Shrek? That blows a giant hole in that theory as Shrek has no height requirement, uses the same glasses and is just as child-focused as DM.

Took my son on Shrek when he was 4- our problem was that we couldn't get him to take OFF the glasses! He started screaming in terror as soon as it got "spooky" and such, and I thought for sure we were going to be removed from the show. Kept trying to get them off but he fought us through his terror.

What was funny is it was SO loud in there his screaming wasn't all that audible over the show, and I suppose that's why we weren't kicked out.

Even though he seriously screamed for pretty much the entire thing, only pausing to reload with breath and fire away again.

But he rode Jaws on that same trip about 8 times. Loved it. The shark, fire, everything.

Loved shark. Not Shrek. Hmmmm.

Sorry, guess my main point was the glasses don't seem to be a problem for all (dare I say most?) little kids.

I forget, does DM have two theaters, or just the one? I know Shrek and Fallon both have two, but my memory isn't as good as it once was...