Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Best Restaurants around Orlando (Non-Theme park)

I'm still exploring, but there's a ton of options in the Sand Lake area. In more of the fast casual vein, I've been recommended and loved Huey Magoos, a chicken place, and Noodles and Company. All good stuff.

Last edited:
I'm still exploring, but there's a ton of options in the Sand Lake area. In more of the vast casual vein, I've been recommended and loved Huey Magoos, a chicken place, and Noodles and Company. All good stuff.

Been to the Noodles & Company at the Loop, agreed, it's good stuff. Very reasonable for a large portion as well.

At The Diner in Lake Cay just off Universal Blvd is great for diner style breakfast and lunch. It's run by a guy from NYC, so it's decent diner style food (which is hard to find in Florida). Everything I've had has been great and the people who run it do a great job. It's also nice to support something local that's not a chain.

@ The Diner

Wolfgang puck express at Disney springs has better pizza than the "best pizza in the country" place in Philly and anywhere I have been in NYC. I am absolutely amazed it's that good every time I go there. nothing near universal is as good.

Wolfgang puck express at Disney springs has better pizza than the "best pizza in the country" place in Philly and anywhere I have been in NYC. I am absolutely amazed it's that good every time I go there. nothing near universal is as good.
It's important to note this is the Wolfgang location in the Marketplace, not the one near Chicken Guy/Planet Hollywood/Coke.

Best pizza and Mexican near Universal?
Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza in the Whole Foods Plaza at the intersection of Sand Lake and Turkey Lake is awesome. And Agava Azul at the intersection of Kirkman and Conroy is my favorite Mexican in Orlando.

Teak and Urban Hibachi in the Metrowest neighborhood are 2 of my favorite restaurants in town. And Black Rock near Windermere is a unique steak house where they bring you your steak raw and give you a hot rock (750°) to cook it on.

Um, it’s on property. Thread is for local and non resort restaurants.

Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza in the Whole Foods Plaza at the intersection of Sand Lake and Turkey Lake is awesome. And Agava Azul at the intersection of Kirkman and Conroy is my favorite Mexican in Orlando.

Teak and Urban Hibachi in the Metrowest neighborhood are 2 of my favorite restaurants in town. And Black Rock near Windermere is a unique steak house where they bring you your steak raw and give you a hot rock (750°) to cook it on.

Can vouch for Anthony’s, we have a few up here and they are amazing.

Anthony's is pretty great. Their wings are fantastic.

If OP is willing to venture out a bit, the Mills 50 area has some pretty funky joints. Tako Cheena is a cool fusion taco place, highly recommend the loaded kimchee cheese fries and the Korean BBQ taco.

There is a pretty decent burger joint right near the Universal expansion site. Beth's Burger Bar. Prices are super decent and the food is great.

Last edited:
There is a pretty decent burger joint right near the Universal expansion site. Beth's Burger Bar. Prices are super decent and the food is great.

Agreed on Beth's, under $15 and you will walk out stuffed. Same plaza as NYPD and The Diner--it's nice having all these together, especially since it's a block from my new place. Not food, but if you're in the area, Half-Barrel Project is a tiny bar that always has an eclectic mix of craft beers, many local to Florida.

If OP is willing to venture out a bit, the Mills 50 area has some pretty funky joints. Tako Cheena is a cool fusion taco place, highly recommend the loaded kimchee cheese fries and the Korean BBQ taco.
This, this, and this. Mills 50 is one of the most underrated areas of Orlando. In addition to Tako Cheena, there are other gems like Pig Floyd’s Urban Barbakoa and Thai House. Plus, the only place I will ever call Orlandoan food: Beefy King (Arby’s but 10x better, ask for the house BBQ). I really have grown to miss Orlando food.

This, this, and this. Mills 50 is one of the most underrated areas of Orlando. In addition to Tako Cheena, there are other gems like Pig Floyd’s Urban Barbakoa and Thai House. Plus, the only place I will ever call Orlandoan food: Beefy King (Arby’s but 10x better, ask for the house BBQ). I really have grown to miss Orlando food.
I just had Beefy King for the first time the other day. It was a pleasant surprise, and I can't recommend it enough. Also a shoutout to Seven Bites, which is roughly in the same area. Great breakfast/brunch place with an amazing bakery.

Bentos on sand lake is great japanese fast casual.
As for pizza, I'm still all about blaze or pizza press, but if you want more...Lazy Moon is a hike up to Mills Ave., but you definitely get a large slice.

On the topic of Japanese fast casual, MIWA Hibachi is great. It’s a bit far from the parks though.