Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

General Discussion - Hagrid's Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure

I think one thing is abundantly clear:

We’re absolutely never getting another opening date for an attraction ever again haha
I think that's an excellent trade off if it means a brand new ride with minimal downtime. Im all universal hands down, but im also a consumer and when they need to be called out it is what it is.

Couldn’t they potentially run the coaster without that one LSM, as the others would make up the difference?

I’m in the park now, trying to get my first ride in. Was hoping 5th time was the charm lol

Except before they announced the opening date, everyone was complaining there was no opening date.
I think the vast majority especially on here were complaining of it and other attractions not being announced/acknowledged not so much the opening date but im sure that was a major concern for people as well.

LSM over heated. But let everyone freak out and think it’s a fire.

This happens with LSMs a lot. It's such a common maintenance issue. With Lightning Rod (whose LSMs have had all kinds of issues since its debut season in 2016--I forget who manufactured those for RMC, as they don't do LSMs), it was an ongoing issue for a few seasons, frequently bringing the coaster down for maintenance. Granted, that's a launched wooden coaster, so they've got to be even more fire-aware, lol. Still, with the crazy demand and large number of continual launches they are doing, I'm not surprised they've overheated.

How do you cool off an lsm though lol Wait? And wont it just happen again? I don't think the dragonfire was a good idea on them bikes.

This happens with LSMs a lot. It's such a common maintenance issue. With Lightning Rod (whose LSMs have had all kinds of issues since its debut season in 2016--I forget who manufactured those for RMC, as they don't do LSMs), it was an ongoing issue for a few seasons, frequently bringing the coaster down for maintenance. Granted, that's a launched wooden coaster, so they've got to be even more fire-aware, lol. Still, with the crazy demand and large number of continual launches they are doing, I'm not surprised they've overheated.
88C13CE8-4935-42AC-AECA-27AF09351F84.jpeg
Hope you don’t mind your LSMs a bit burned :lol:

Do LSMs typically have cooling features? IIRC, Intamin cable lunches (like Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster) spray the cable as it launches to keep the cable from getting way too hot.

Wow. Is this an issue that could shut down the ride completely for a day or two? If so, then it could be a PR nightmare for UO when dealing with gusts who have bought multi day packages.

Do LSMs typically have cooling features? IIRC, Intamin cable lunches (like Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster) spray the cable as it launches to keep the cable from getting way too hot.
Sometimes they have tubing with liquid running through it that cools down the LSMs, but sometimes they just leave it to be cooled on its own if it isn’t too powerful of a launch

Edit: Actually, not sure how Intamin does it. Mack has the tubing, maybe Intamin has something hidden in the fins themselves, not sure.

This whole back and forth blaming universal is getting old. It’s a new E Ticket attraction that needs time to adjust. Nothing like this has been attempted on this scale and people are complaining nonstop as if universal has control over this. last week was about the weather which delayed previews. If it hadn’t been for the god awful weather we had they would have had more time to adjust. Give it some time to adjust and let operations get there groove going. This isn’t the first riding opening and it won’t be the last. FOP had issues the first weeks with massive lines. It’s part of the game. If you want a flawless experience wait a couple months.

Ok...

1. What is an LSM?
2. Volcano Bay opened too early to.
3. Giving the date was purely for booking reasons. I’m guessing a lot of people were holding off until a date was announced. They came very close to missing the “post Christmas” summer vacation bookings boom. They didn’t “cave” because a bunch of theme park nerds wanted to know. They wanted to start making money.
4. I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt due to weather, but the ride should be operating much more consistently by now.

Ok...

1. What is an LSM?
2. Volcano Bay opened too early to.
3. Giving the date was purely for booking reasons. I’m guessing a lot of people were holding off until a date was announced. They came very close to missing the “post Christmas” summer vacation bookings boom. They didn’t “cave” because a bunch of theme park nerds wanted to know. They wanted to start making money.
4. I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt due to weather, but the ride should be operating much more consistently by now.

LSM is what launches the coaster.

On #4, I don’t necessarily agree. Yes, one would hope the weather cooperating would lead to a long period of performance, but it doesn’t preclude a new issue popping up