Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Reviews & Media - Hagrid's Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure

Oh OK, that makes more sense than. But that circumstance and waiting in a long line (like you did for your rides and thoughts on the attraction), actually gives his review more credibility, so I guess it worked out well.

Great point. I thought was so much more relevant / interesting seeing the reality of the ride / land - like the Hagrid’s general discussion thread on this forum - and his positivity that is is worth the wait time :)

Great point. I thought was so much more relevant / interesting seeing the reality of the ride / land - like the Hagrid’s general discussion thread on this forum - and his positivity that is is worth the wait time :)
Yes...and damn, he was about as positive, or even excited, as a person can get over a ride. I don't really care much for most Vlogger videos, but I like Tim Tracker's. He's not always the most knowledgeable, but he's easy to watch and listen to. He comes across more as a regular theme park visitor than as a vlogger. He doesn't get into all the technical stuff that I really don't give a damn about. Alicia's the same. So I respect their opinions since they're generally in line with what I like, and/or dislike. So I always give a lot of weight to his reviews. Great to see he loved Hagrid after a four hour plus wait, and said it was worth it....Of course I would never wait that long in a line :lol:

I can finally view this thread!

Waited 150 minutes for the ride on Sunday

First of all, we waited in Lost Continent near Sindbad...I bring this up because I was super impressed with how the Universal staff was handeling this odd setup. They had plenty of water and I always knew where we were going next.

Queue - The queue for the attraction is great, but it did feel like they skimped a bit with some of the hallways. It was odd how we basically walked quickly through the big rooms and then waited A TON in the tight caves, haha (did I mention the ride went down three times while we were in line?).

I love that they finally have a pre-show in the queue, it seemed that was always the original intention with Dueling Dragons. I loved the pre-show with all the effects and the water sprits. I will say that I don't like how they just let you into the pre-show room. Our group got cut by some folks that muscled their way through the line, I expect this to get better of time (Like Gringotts)

Ride - Holy smokes, this ride hauls a$$, like I wasn't expecting it. It is way more forceful than Cheetah Hunt and has a cleaner acceleration IMO. Intamin has really improved its launch coaster models, and this new gen is no exception.

The show scenes are great, but I wish you went through the first one a wee bit slower, but that is a minor, niether here nor there thing.

I won't give a play by play of the whole ride (there are POVs), but a few of my favorite parts are as follows:

First scene with theastrals - I know this is super weird, and might make someone laugh, but I love the moment before you take off where you can look at all the scenery out the window and it's just a testament to all of the detail that went into this ride. I love that it could have been a sealed wall, but no, they intentionally chose to make it a window and decorate the outside to the brim

First spike and zig zags - This was such a fun element and the zig zags made it even more fun. I love the fact that you are doing all of this over the water which is pretty unique. My friend did make a comment that if someone drops something they are certainly going to lose it forever in the lake haha

Second spike - The quick forward and backward sensation is pretty unique, and you don't sit there forever waiting for the car to release and go backward, disrupting the storyline *cough*

Drop track - I love drop tracks (especially the other one in the United States), this one is no exception. I do however wish that the Devil's Snare made a bit more 'noise' when you broke through, but I guess it didn't in the films either

Overall - This is my new favorite ride at the resort, and it has been a long time coming (sorry Spidey). The enjoyability, likeability, and re-ridability of this ride is at a maximum, and this is what is exciting about this ride. I think this is a glimpse at what the future holds for Universal Creative.

In a way, I think F&F was the closing of a chapter for Universal that started with T2, hit a stride with Spidey, and grew stale with Fallon and Furious. In many ways, I see Hagrid's as a start of a new chapter in the company. It really is a 'summation' attraction for the whole resort. Hagrid's takes the lessons learned from AA rides (MIB, Mummy, Kong), the lessons learned from coaster/hybrid rides (Mummy, Gringotts), and the overall lessons of storytelling, and mixes them all together for Hagrid. This ride really hits a new level for Universal and I think delivers.

Here's to the next generations of Universal rides

I can finally view this thread!

Waited 150 minutes for the ride on Sunday

First of all, we waited in Lost Continent near Sindbad...I bring this up because I was super impressed with how the Universal staff was handeling this odd setup. They had plenty of water and I always knew where we were going next.

Queue - The queue for the attraction is great, but it did feel like they skimped a bit with some of the hallways. It was odd how we basically walked quickly through the big rooms and then waited A TON in the tight caves, haha (did I mention the ride went down three times while we were in line?).

I love that they finally have a pre-show in the queue, it seemed that was always the original intention with Dueling Dragons. I loved the pre-show with all the effects and the water sprits. I will say that I don't like how they just let you into the pre-show room. Our group got cut by some folks that muscled their way through the line, I expect this to get better of time (Like Gringotts)

Ride - Holy smokes, this ride hauls a$$, like I wasn't expecting it. It is way more forceful than Cheetah Hunt and has a cleaner acceleration IMO. Intamin has really improved its launch coaster models, and this new gen is no exception.

The show scenes are great, but I wish you went through the first one a wee bit slower, but that is a minor, niether here nor there thing.

I won't give a play by play of the whole ride (there are POVs), but a few of my favorite parts are as follows:

First scene with theastrals - I know this is super weird, and might make someone laugh, but I love the moment before you take off where you can look at all the scenery out the window and it's just a testament to all of the detail that went into this ride. I love that it could have been a sealed wall, but no, they intentionally chose to make it a window and decorate the outside to the brim

First spike and zig zags - This was such a fun element and the zig zags made it even more fun. I love the fact that you are doing all of this over the water which is pretty unique. My friend did make a comment that if someone drops something they are certainly going to lose it forever in the lake haha

Second spike - The quick forward and backward sensation is pretty unique, and you don't sit there forever waiting for the car to release and go backward, disrupting the storyline *cough*

Drop track - I love drop tracks (especially the other one in the United States), this one is no exception. I do however wish that the Devil's Snare made a bit more 'noise' when you broke through, but I guess it didn't in the films either

Overall - This is my new favorite ride at the resort, and it has been a long time coming (sorry Spidey). The enjoyability, likeability, and re-ridability of this ride is at a maximum, and this is what is exciting about this ride. I think this is a glimpse at what the future holds for Universal Creative.

In a way, I think F&F was the closing of a chapter for Universal that started with T2, hit a stride with Spidey, and grew stale with Fallon and Furious. In many ways, I see Hagrid's as a start of a new chapter in the company. It really is a 'summation' attraction for the whole resort. Hagrid's takes the lessons learned from AA rides (MIB, Mummy, Kong), the lessons learned from coaster/hybrid rides (Mummy, Gringotts), and the overall lessons of storytelling, and mixes them all together for Hagrid. This ride really hits a new level for Universal and I think delivers.

Here's to the next generations of Universal rides
Excellent review. and yes, cheers to UC :toast:

So, this is coming from someone with very high expectations and a lot of knowledge about the attraction before riding it:

This is hands down the best ride I’ve been on.

I’ve been following this project since the beginning; so I had a thorough understanding of the layout, elements, and general theming. I knew/saw everything there was about this ride with the exclusion of the show scenes. I was expecting reality to not reach my hype; but I left in awe.

Queue:

The queue should be experienced once absolutely; but with my four hour wait I felt that I took everything in during that time. I don’t feel like I’d miss not going through it again.

Ride:

First and foremost, the actual coaster was simply incredible. I was taken back by how sudden and forceful that first launch was. From the POVs it looks like a nice initial push into the beginning, but it sets the tone for the ride. The second launch really gets you into the vibe, and from that point you’re pretty much full hype.

I had read letdowns about the skrewt (pole), but I found it incredibly fitting into the wizarding world feel. I wouldn’t mind something covering underneath the skrewt, but it definitely didn’t detract at all. (This was my reaction even after finding out afterwards not all the effects were working - fog/smell.) The launch into the ruins feels so much faster than it looks, and you get some nice floater airtime leaving the hill. The curves over the water are incredible. I didn’t notice any of the walkways mentioned previously as I was too invested in the feeling of the handlebars maneuvering through those tight curves.

Yes, you do move by fluffy and the anglia/pixies quickly, but I didn’t mind at all. I think the pacing fits in with the erratic behavior in the storyline. I had just enough time to see them without disrupting the pacing of the coaster itself.

Then, the spike... probably my favorite part of the ride. The way the spike is hidden was brilliant. The element itself was awesome - the weightlessness on the pullback, but coupled with the theming and storyline made it exponentially better. (It also helped that I was sitting near the front.) Going into the backwards section was very quick, the launch into the helix provided some nice forces going into that section and into the showroom.

Again, I heard the showroom was a letdown for some on the theming side, but I found it extremely well done. I didn’t notice the tops of the trees being cutoff, or the ceiling in a jarring way. Again, it was very fitting with the wizarding world and the movies themselves. The drop was sudden, yet effective. The added storyline only emphasized the element.

Leaving the showroom into the final launch again was surprising. I’ve heard from so many about this “massive launch” at the end, and still wasn’t expecting that much force. I had to hold on the the handlebars so I didn’t fall back into my seat. It really doesn’t get much better than that. Well, the unicorns might top it...

An absolutely stellar attraction, and worth the late opening and long delay/wait from my visit on the 24th.

Last edited:
I was taken back by how sudden and forceful that first launch was. From the POVs it looks like a nice initial push into the beginning, but it sets the tone for the ride.

Apparently the nice little s-bend in the beginning is very misleading to this woman also :lol::lol:, saw this and cracked up.

FF TO 6:55 LOL Watch woman in pink.

I think i'm gonna wait on giving a proper review the more I think about it. I definitely came off with one of those rare feelings when you come off of a ride for the first time... Forbidden Journey might actually be the last time I felt that same way.

However, i've only gotten one ride in and it was in single rider, so i've yet to experience the main queue. I've also yet to experience the side car. I'd love to get a nighttime ride in. These are all things I want to be able to experience and factor in before giving a proper review, but just my initial reaction based on first ride is that it's the best ride in Orlando. It's got the thrills (which are non-stop for the most part), the AAs, the rock work, a gorgeous queue (or what I saw) that actually looks like it could fit in well with Lost Continent and it's got the physical set pieces. This ride is very much a modernized version of Big Thunder Mountain in many ways.

I have no complaints with anything on the ride - I couldn't have asked for much better. My only area of complaint was the stairway down into the queue room before load for single riders was *extremely* hot. No AC, no fans, nothing.

So, we keep hearing odd things such as they are ending the evening with only three trains... why? Are they wearing out? Are the speakers malfunctioning? Anyone have a clue as to why this is happening?

Nice review Joe. I'd be more curious to see your coaster rankings throwing Tampa into the mix, as well as how you think it compares to non-coaster rides in the area.

I've only been to BGT once when I was very little and very scared of rollercoasters so my list is Orlando centric. It's hard to compare ALL the rides in Orlando because, well, HM is different than Hagrid is different than Horror Make Up is different than Kilimanjaro Safari. If you put a gun to my head it's in my top 10 in Orlando, dunno about top 5.

I've only been to BGT once when I was very little and very scared of rollercoasters so my list is Orlando centric. It's hard to compare ALL the rides in Orlando because, well, HM is different than Hagrid is different than Horror Make Up is different than Kilimanjaro Safari. If you put a gun to my head it's in my top 10 in Orlando, dunno about top 5.

Hah! OBVIOUSLY you don't see how HMU is very easily comparable to KJS! They both have big furry creatures after all!

(Seriously, though, both those are in my top three of their respective parks.)

So I already kind of gave a review by proxy in a different thread when I explained that waiting 3+ hours for each of my two rides was WORTH EVERY MINUTE including a full hour in 100 degree heat but I wanted to officially put down my thoughts here.

Despite all the glowing reviews, my knowledge of every element on the ride, and general insane hype surrounding the ride, this thing STILL surpassed my expectations. This is one of those rides that is difficult to articulate exactly why it is so spectacular. This isn't a case where I can easily point to one or two factors on the ride as the reason it now sits firmly in my top 3 attractions in all of Orlando. Forbidden Journey has the amazing ride system that allows for an intimate, one-of-a-kind experience, with scenic elements so close to your ride vehicle that you can almost touch them. Gringotts has the "everything but the kitchen sink" factor with a ride vehicle that combines the dynamic movement of an EMV with coaster elements and a tilt-track. Hagrid has amazing tech for sure and quite a few tricks up its sleeve but that isn't what defines the experience. Simply put, it's just the most pure FUN I've had on a ride from beginning to end.

From the moment you board the beautifully detailed ride vehicle and make that turn into the stables there isn't one moment during the experience that feels wasted or out of place. Every launch, including the very first burst after the stables, is a delight that sets the pace and continually ratchets up the excitement. Every scenic element is in perfect harmony with every coaster element. The placement of the rockwork, the lake, the abbey, and the landscaping all compliment and enhance the experience of every turn, dip, and launch of the train. The ride scenes and slow-downs are timed perfectly allowing just enough time to look around but not enough time to disrupt the overall pacing of the ride. The pacing of the devil's snare scene in particular which involves multiple track switches, a direction change, and a drop track quickly followed by two different launches in rapid succession is an absolute triumph of design. The fact that there isn't a long lull after the track drops was surprising enough but the speed that the motorbikes takes the S-turn out of the drop chamber and over the track switch blew me away. That final escape from the skrewt followed by yet another burst of speed from the final dragon's breath launch is the perfect climax and better than I ever thought possible given all the moving parts.

I could go on forever but long story short, the ride is worth the price of admission to IOA alone and it's currently nestled in the corner of a park that already has some of the best rides in the industry.