Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash (Construction Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many AAs are we expecting for this attraction?

Likely more than on any Universal ride anywhere - at least that's what we hope! Either way quite a lot.

If this doesn't come with the 'build a pet' shop idea someone on here suggested I'll be gutted. That would really take the merch sales to the next level.

Likely more than on any Universal ride anywhere - at least that's what we hope! Either way quite a lot.

If this doesn't come with the 'build a pet' shop idea someone on here suggested I'll be gutted. That would really take the merch sales to the next level.
Since the whole premise of the ride is giving a stray pet a forever home, it would be a no brainer to have some sort of "Adopt-a-Pet" build-a-bear type experience.

Will the relative failure of SLOP 2 change anything about the scope of the ride?

No.

The attraction's budget is locked, and they aren't changing the budget of the attraction due to performance of the sequel.

Since the whole premise of the ride is giving a stray pet a forever home, it would be a no brainer to have some sort of "Adopt-a-Pet" build-a-bear type experience.

Yeah, they'd be completely idiotic if they didn't do the adopt-a-pet (or at-least, something like that with custom plushes made just for the attraction).

Saw the leaked model for Super Nintendo World. Obviously can't link or post, but I did notice the way Yoshi is going to look, which should have the same ride system as Pets. It looks like a straight-up omnimover, which we've known for a while. I'm a little disappointed if there's no space between vehicles. It would be nice to have some space between vehicles to spread out so there can be some effects that can reset.

Saw the leaked model for Super Nintendo World. Obviously can't link or post, but I did notice the way Yoshi is going to look, which should have the same ride system as Pets. It looks like a straight-up omnimover, which we've known for a while. I'm a little disappointed if there's no space between vehicles. It would be nice to have some space between vehicles to spread out so there can be some effects that can reset.
Even in the early rendition of SLOP, that didn't have a track, the vehicles were pretty much right behind each other It had a 1920 hourly capacity.

A couple of misleading facts in this thread. P&A most assuredly was not 50 million dollars on this. The last movie had a P&A of 140. Typically Illumination runs very cheap on their film production budgets and atypically spends nearly double of what they do on the film to market it.

Judge that how you will, but it has been a winning formula. In fact Secret Life of Pets 'made' the most amount of money after you factor funny Hollywood math of all the movies in 2016.

There are a few bigger markets left from the foreign side of things.

It probably will make money long term, but there is no way it has yet with production and P&A coming in around 200 million. It needs to get closer to 400 million WW before it is theatrically profitable. What it most assuredly won't make is satisfied studio heads. This was supposed to be an easy win for them in a summer of sequels that the film going audience has rejected.

It definitely won't make the slightest difference for the Hollywood ride, which is probably the only point that matters.

This was supposed to be an easy win for them in a summer of sequels that the film going audience has rejected.
Audiences haven't rejected sequels or reboots. They've rejected bad movies and rewarded quality. Aladdin is an easy movie to look towards when judging a movie that was rebooted and has been extremely successful. Toy Story 4 has been less successful than Disney wanted, but it's still doing big business. John Wick 3 has seen huge numbers for the small amount of money spent on the film. Far From Home has opened extremely strong and already over $500M WW.

It's movies like MIB: International, Dark Phoenix, SLoP2, Godzilla: KotM, Shaft, Child's Play, etc. All have had poor RT Scores and the movie going public probably got pretty picky after spending a lot of money to see Endgame multiple times. The public rewarded quality this summer and it's not often we can say that, so i'm actually proud to see this development.

Audiences haven't rejected sequels or reboots. They've rejected bad movies and rewarded quality. Aladdin is an easy movie to look towards when judging a movie that was rebooted and has been extremely successful. Toy Story 4 has been less successful than Disney wanted, but it's still doing big business. John Wick 3 has seen huge numbers for the small amount of money spent on the film. Far From Home has opened extremely strong and already over $500M WW.

It's movies like MIB: International, Dark Phoenix, SLoP2, Godzilla: KotM, Shaft, Child's Play, etc. All have had poor RT Scores and the movie going public probably got pretty picky after spending a lot of money to see Endgame multiple times. The public rewarded quality this summer and it's not often we can say that, so i'm actually proud to see this development.

Yup, sequels have never been a problem. It’s bad movies that have.

Tbf Aladdin had a pretty mediocre RT. I think that may be the exception rather than the rule, however.

A couple of misleading facts in this thread. P&A most assuredly was not 50 million dollars on this. The last movie had a P&A of 140. Typically Illumination runs very cheap on their film production budgets and atypically spends nearly double of what they do on the film to market it.

Judge that how you will, but it has been a winning formula. In fact Secret Life of Pets 'made' the most amount of money after you factor funny Hollywood math of all the movies in 2016.

There are a few bigger markets left from the foreign side of things.

It probably will make money long term, but there is no way it has yet with production and P&A coming in around 200 million. It needs to get closer to 400 million WW before it is theatrically profitable. What it most assuredly won't make is satisfied studio heads. This was supposed to be an easy win for them in a summer of sequels that the film going audience has rejected.

It definitely won't make the slightest difference for the Hollywood ride, which is probably the only point that matters.
Box Office MOJO has it's costs listed at $80 million. Higher than 50 million, but a fairly easy figure to make a profit off of. So it should be profitable at the theatrical level , and more so after home and entertainment money comes in. But it definitely has under performed projections. Good thing Illuminations is thrifty when producing. ...and yes, the main thing is if the ride is good. Hollywood could really use this to fix their mix of rides, so it's important it be good. The original trackless version looked really good, or even excellent. If this is half as good as that,it will be fine.

Box Office MOJO has it's costs listed at $80 million. Higher than 50 million, but a fairly easy figure to make a profit off of. So it should be profitable at the theatrical level , and more so after home and entertainment money comes in. But it definitely has under performed projections. Good thing Illuminations is thrifty when producing. ...and yes, the main thing is if the ride is good. Hollywood could really use this to fix their mix of rides, so it's important it be good. The original trackless version looked really good, or even excellent. If this is half as good as that,it will be fine.
$80M Production budget + $140-$160M Marketing budget = more than the movie has made worldwide right now.

Theoretically it should've been an easy budget to make a profit off of, but it hasn't made one.

$80M Production budget + $140-$160M Marketing budget = more than the movie has made worldwide right now.

Theoretically it should've been an easy budget to make a profit off of, but it hasn't made one.
Generally the formula is the 'total cost', 'including marketing', is in the range of'double to double and a half' the production cost, so that would work out to about 160 low end -200 million high end total

Last edited:
Well, success or not, the ride is happening. They’re already too far along to cancel it. I’m just happy we’re getting a cool dark ride in the park.
Yup. I weird part of me hopes it stays as a USH exclusive though. I'd love to have it in Orlando, but for you guys to finally have something of your own and something that would drive me to actually visit the park when i'm there would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.