Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

No idea how I haven't posted in here yet.

But here's my dream:

1) New AAs
2) Add the dead trying to crawl out of their crypts to the transition scene like Hollywood.
2) New projection mapping for the transition, treasure room, turntable, and window break room.
3) More movement in the treasure room (maybe the foot soldiers just turn their heads a bit now)
4) Add the ticklers
5) Properly theme the window break scene (I'm very jealous of Singapore's version in this regard even if it's a completely different scene) and update the projections.
6) Yea, the coffee scene is iconic and all, but I'd rather them give us a new finale that's a little more satisfying
7) Kill the entire movie set theme and just properly theme the extended queue with more artifacts and all that.

It's kind of weird they haven't updated this yet. Uni needs to stop thinking about everything in terms of IPs. Everyone understands the concept of a mummy, and the ride can far outlive the relevance of the IP.
Universal only updates Marvel and Potter

They add new gobo lights to their own properties

One has to wonder how many more years that track has in it given how many cycles it’s run. It’s the only ride outside of the hulk that’s run more often and consistently in terms of a coaster on property. It does have the benefit of being inside in a controlled environment but they’ve already had 3 coasters torn down due to reaching the end of their lifespan. Will be interesting to see how far it can go.

Fwiw imo you tear down the entire building and bring back Ghostbusters (New movie coming) to NY in the form of a indoor rollercoaster with AAs and loads of projection mapping effects for ghosts. Mind you I LOOOOOOVE the Mummy it’s amazing and so well done for what it is but the time has come. It’s an outdated franchise / story that few kids 16 and under can relate to let alone seen and with each passing year it becomes more and more irrelevant as Universal expands its market share.

One has to wonder how many more years that track has in it given how many cycles it’s run. It’s the only ride outside of the hulk that’s run more often and consistently in terms of a coaster on property. It does have the benefit of being inside in a controlled environment but they’ve already had 3 coasters torn down due to reaching the end of their lifespan. Will be interesting to see how far it can go.

Fwiw imo you tear down the entire building and bring back Ghostbusters (New movie coming) to NY in the form of a indoor rollercoaster with AAs and loads of projection mapping effects for ghosts. Mind you I LOOOOOOVE the Mummy it’s amazing and so well done for what it is but the time has come. It’s an outdated franchise / story that few kids 16 and under can relate to let alone seen and with each passing year it becomes more and more irrelevant as Universal expands its market share.
I sadly agree. I love The Revenge of the Mummy, but the IP is so irrelevant and given the Tom Cruise movie that bombed, also a bit of a recent embarrassment. I also have to admit i've never actually seen The Mummy that this is based on. It's a great ride, but it's source material is weak and also leans into movie making in the queue, which the park has shifted away from.

Plus, if they're gonna be doing a Monsters land at UFW, that could eventually be a new home for The Mummy and the ride will be about 20 years old by the time the park opens anyway, which is about when Universal starts looking at replacing attractions. I think if Ghostbusters 2020 is successful, then it is something that will probably be looked into.

I sadly agree. I love The Revenge of the Mummy, but the IP is so irrelevant and given the Tom Cruise movie that bombed, also a bit of a recent embarrassment. I also have to admit i've never actually seen The Mummy that this is based on. It's a great ride, but it's source material is weak and also leans into movie making in the queue, which the park has shifted away from.

Plus, if they're gonna be doing a Monsters land at UFW, that could eventually be a new home for The Mummy and the ride will be about 20 years old by the time the park opens anyway, which is about when Universal starts looking at replacing attractions. I think if Ghostbusters 2020 is successful, then it is something that will probably be looked into.
I highly recommend The Mummy that it’s based on. It’s actually a fun adventure movie in the vein of Indiana Jones, although Indy is still way better.

I can understand believing that - from Universal's mindset - it's getting close to time for them to consider replacing Revenge of the Mummy.

But purely as a guest, I just can't get behind the idea getting rid of great attractions for replacements that, given the track record at USF, may be more "relevant" but likely won't be as good.

Would a hypothetical GHOSTBUSTERS E-ticket mega-attraction filled with animatronics and huge setpieces be worth losing ROTM for? For me, probably. Do I have any confidence we'd get such a grand and worthy replacement? Absolutely not.

I can understand believing that - from Universal's mindset - it's getting close to time for them to consider replacing Revenge of the Mummy.

But purely as a guest, I just can't get behind the idea getting rid of great attractions for replacements that, given the track record at USF, may be more "relevant" but likely won't be as good.

The irony, of course, is Mummy being a relevant franchise that replaced a great attraction. :lol:

I hope there has never been a strong rumor of plans to replace mummy and this is all based on speculation on how universal does things. It can use a touch up but that ride is still amazing! I Hope they put that money somewhere else where it is needed mummy can seriously be left alone.

Just kill this thread..

Strangely, with all of this said, I feel like mummy is the closest thing Universal has to a “timeless concept” I’ll also throw Jurassic in here and I’ll tell you why...

For example: disney has been able to keep so many of their classic rides not only due to nostalgia and the fact that they are great but also because they were based around real life human concepts and not IPs. ex. A haunted house, being a pirate, going to outer space, etc.

obviously that has changed heavily over the last 20 years as Disney has had to lean into their more popular IP’s to keep visitors intrigued...but, this also leads to the theory that the more general a ride is, the longer that it can last. I’ve never seen the Mummy movie but I can still appreciate a ride about Mummys because I know what a mummy is as it’s super popular and talked about in pop culture. It’s not a movie to know, it’s a concept.

With this said, I think mummy is on the chopping block for sure. Just bringing up an interesting point that this is essentially universal’s last chance at a long term ride centered more so around a “concept” and not an IP.

If the Mummy isn't featured in the FW Monsters Land I could see it hanging around for a lot longer.

Universal are running out of non Animation/Computer game IP's for new attractions.

With the new park and having additional land, when does the ride replacements stop? If they had the land for the new park when they decided to further capitalize on Harry Potter with Diagon Alley, would they have closed Jaws?

I am not sure what was the guest satisfaction with Jaws but I believe it was a loved ride. I can understand the maintenance cost for Jaws was probably high and it benefited them to close it but I am wondering whether things will begin to change for Universal. How come Disney is able to keep rides for a long time without anyone complaining?

I don't hear any complaints from guests about The mummy. At what point does keeping rides for the nostalgia start to occur? I would argue Spiderman, The Mummy, MIB, all the Harry Potter stuff, and dinosaurs are iconic and should never be removed or at least not in the next decade or two.

Imagine if they had revamped Kongfrontation, found a way to build The Mummy somewhere else, held onto Jaws, and still built Diagon Alley. Universal Studious would be the million times better than it is now. You have the land now Universal so stop replacing rides.

As for Ghostbusters: why can't they get ride of RRR and the old ghostbusters facade and build a new building there the size of transformers. Ok so maybe it will be a tight fit and there will be no emergency roads into that area but they should find a way lol. Just please don't replace the Mummy.

Edit: Better yet, close down Minion Mayhem which is an old ride system and not iconic. Continue the New York Facade and put Ghostbusters there. Maybe build SLOP at Shrek, even though the sequel did not do that well in the box office and the ride will probably have to be replaced in 5 years. Build a minion land at kid zone or somewhere else. Universal only owns 4/25 of the top grossing franchises with Despicable Me being one and they have not appropriately capitalize on that yet. Very Surprising. They also built the worst ride for one of the other four.

Last edited:
Personally I think the mummy is one of the better rides at USF, if not the best. It would be a shame to see it go, especially if its not replaced with a coaster.

My only complaint is that I've noticed that the brakes are much more sudden when it is coming to a stop / show scene. I don't really find it a problem but I imagine it could be for certain people / kids. If they were to fix this and update the animatronics I think it would appeal to more people and refresh the ride.

Whatever they do just please no Tom Cruise

With the new park and having additional land, when does the ride replacements stop? If they had the land for the new park when they decided to further capitalize on Harry Potter with Diagon Alley, would they have closed Jaws?

I am not sure what was the guest satisfaction with Jaws but I believe it was a loved ride. I can understand the maintenance cost for Jaws was probably high and it benefited them to close it but I am wondering whether things will begin to change for Universal. How come Disney is able to keep rides for a long time without anyone complaining?

I don't hear any complaints from guests about The mummy. At what point does keeping rides for the nostalgia start to occur? I would argue Spiderman, The Mummy, MIB, all the Harry Potter stuff, and dinosaurs are iconic and should never be removed or at least not in the next decade or two.

Imagine if they had revamped Kongfrontation, found a way to build The Mummy somewhere else, held onto Jaws, and still built Diagon Alley. Universal Studious would be the million times better than it is now. You have the land now Universal so stop replacing rides.

As for Ghostbusters: why can't they get ride of RRR and the old ghostbusters facade and build a new building there the size of transformers. Ok so maybe it will be a tight fit and there will be no emergency roads into that area but they should find a way lol. Just please don't replace the Mummy.

Edit: Better yet, close down Minion Mayhem which is an old ride system and not iconic. Continue the New York Facade and put Ghostbusters there. Maybe build SLOP at Shrek, even though the sequel did not do that well in the box office and the ride will probably have to be replaced in 5 years. Build a minion land at kid zone or somewhere else. Universal only owns 4/25 of the top grossing franchises with Despicable Me being one and they have not appropriately capitalize on that yet. Very Surprising. They also built the worst ride for one of the other four.

Where would they have built Diagon? And Mummy?

Last edited:
If they never bother touching the toon lagoon theatre or kid zone but take down this ride thats a major mistake from Universal. Sure it may be outdated Im not denying that, but a great attraction can still be a great attraction. I think there are a few things USF needs before they think about replacing this. I frankly think this should go after HRRR.

If they never bother touching the toon lagoon theatre or kid zone but take down this ride thats a major mistake from Universal. Sure it may be outdated Im not denying that, but a great attraction can still be a great attraction. I think there are a few things USF needs before they think about replacing this. I frankly think this should go after HRRR.
Honestly i still like toon lagoon and those are two awesome water rides. But kids zone has to and should be first to go. PERIOD!

Last edited:
The water rides are great, but that theatre has been sitting there for who knows how long. Put in a new show or attraction there or something!!!!
oh my god you know its bad when i didn't even think about the theatre. Yes i agree its quite silly. What was it? "Extreme rage stunt show"?? I remember skateboard tricks that is all lol

There would be an absolute uproar if Mummy was closed. The only thing I could see getting a bigger uproar is ET closing, and even then.. I'm not sure.

As it was said above, this could truly be one of the "timeless" Universal attractions that just won't be closed. I'd love to see an update to the AAs and sets, but regardless, it's a monumentally fun ride that still gets long wait times.