Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What's next for Busch Gardens Tampa??

How is an S&S screamin swing tacky? It's a brilliant flat ride model, probably my favorite.
The one at BGW and Dollywood look very nice and fun

Dollywood-Barnstormer-2.jpg

FinnegansFlyerBFE003-768x576.jpg

And they're incredibly fun and are the very few flats that don't make the majority of people that ride them sick

Last edited:
I honestly don’t think this world class theme park needs to load up on flat rides...maybe 2 or 3, but seriously it needs a new water ride to replace Tidal Wave, a dark ride or two would be a welcome addition, and another solid show. I love the coasters and thrills, but going with non-thrill seeking friends really opens my eyes to what the park really needs.

I honestly don’t think this world class theme park needs to load up on flat rides...maybe 2 or 3, but seriously it needs a new water ride to replace Tidal Wave, a dark ride or two would be a welcome addition, and another solid show. I love the coasters and thrills, but going with non-thrill seeking friends really opens my eyes to what the park really needs.
I would love an aqua coaster or BGT's answer to Pompeii

Nobody is saying that but maybe like three new flats would be nice. A whole park can’t just be coasters and of course a water ride and dark ride would be nice.

How is an S&S screamin swing tacky? It's a brilliant flat ride model, probably my favorite.
I mean, aside from it being inappropriate for the age group that Jungala is aimed at, would you expect to see one at any of the Orlando parks? That's really what I'm getting at. It's a big metal scream machine that wouldn't look out of place at a Six Flags or state fair. Unfortunately many of SeaWorld Parks' most recent rides have been of that caliber (Tidal Twister, Finnegan's Flyer, the various incarnations of Tempesto), and there was little effort to even dress them up with decent theming. Heck, the only theming on Tigris is the rockwork left over from Tidal Wave.
I do think BGT needs more flat rides, but it also needs E-ticket rides that families can ride. Rhino Rally was a great ride because it was unique and almost anyone could ride it... I maintain that a new version with a Kong 360-style ending would be a hit for the park. Egypt has a ride building sitting vacant for 10 months of the year, and there's a plot of land north of Treetop Trails that almost looks like it was designed for a future addition to Jungala. I'd be interested to know what the status is of their rumored plans to bring in a wave of new dark rides to the SEAS parks.

I mean, aside from it being inappropriate for the age group that Jungala is aimed at, would you expect to see one at any of the Orlando parks? That's really what I'm getting at. It's a big metal scream machine that wouldn't look out of place at a Six Flags or state fair. Unfortunately many of SeaWorld Parks' most recent rides have been of that caliber (Tidal Twister, Finnegan's Flyer, the various incarnations of Tempesto), and there was little effort to even dress them up with decent theming. Heck, the only theming on Tigris is the rockwork left over from Tidal Wave.
I do think BGT needs more flat rides, but it also needs E-ticket rides that families can ride. Rhino Rally was a great ride because it was unique and almost anyone could ride it... I maintain that a new version with a Kong 360-style ending would be a hit for the park. Egypt has a ride building sitting vacant for 10 months of the year, and there's a plot of land north of Treetop Trails that almost looks like it was designed for a future addition to Jungala. I'd be interested to know what the status is of their rumored plans to bring in a wave of new dark rides to the SEAS parks.
Your asking too much from a company that is just getting back on its feet. Yes unique rides are nice but does Sea World have the money to invest in them.

Your asking too much from a company that is just getting back on its feet. Yes unique rides are nice but does Sea World have the money to invest in them.

I get the impression that the company has enough money to make good rides and attractions (look at Sesame Street, Infinity Falls, Cobra’s Curse) but, in the absence of Brian Morrow, whoever’s in charge of creative decisions at BGT just doesn’t know how to or isn’t interested in building a well-rounded, high-quality theme park.
I think I read the company’s current budget for new attractions is $150 million a year. Even divided among the 12 parks evenly that would be $12.5 million for each park every year, and considering only 5 of those are full-sized non-water parks I doubt it’s being split evenly. Antarctica had a budget of $40 million, but that included a first-of-its-kind trackless ride system. Rhino Rally is still largely intact excluding the water segment, so even with the hypothetical simulator ending I think the cost would be within SeaWorld’s reach.
We know that the company is looking to replace Wild Arctic with a flying theater ride at SeaWorld; I don’t see why that couldn’t be adapted into a new jungle-themed ride for the Congo area or a new Egyptian themed ride for the former Akbar’s Adventure Tours building. We also know that they’re interested in a Sesame Street dark ride for SWO; seeing as the company likes to buy rides in bulk I could imagine a Sally dark ride for Jungala in the unused land surrounding Treetop Trails.

I get the impression that the company has enough money to make good rides and attractions (look at Sesame Street, Infinity Falls, Cobra’s Curse) but, in the absence of Brian Morrow, whoever’s in charge of creative decisions at BGT just doesn’t know how to or isn’t interested in building a well-rounded, high-quality theme park.
I think I read the company’s current budget for new attractions is $150 million a year. Even divided among the 12 parks evenly that would be $12.5 million for each park every year, and considering only 5 of those are full-sized non-water parks I doubt it’s being split evenly. Antarctica had a budget of $40 million, but that included a first-of-its-kind trackless ride system. Rhino Rally is still largely intact excluding the water segment, so even with the hypothetical simulator ending I think the cost would be within SeaWorld’s reach.
We know that the company is looking to replace Wild Arctic with a flying theater ride at SeaWorld; I don’t see why that couldn’t be adapted into a new jungle-themed ride for the Congo area or a new Egyptian themed ride for the former Akbar’s Adventure Tours building. We also know that they’re interested in a Sesame Street dark ride for SWO; seeing as the company likes to buy rides in bulk I could imagine a Sally dark ride for Jungala in the unused land surrounding Treetop Trails.
I guess we will have to wait and see what they have planned.

Regardless, Sea World parks are still ahead of Cedar Fair and lightyears ahead of Six Flags for me.

I hope they continue to flesh out SWO and get back to the world class coasters for BGT

After rmc gwazi we prob won’t see another big coaster coming at least until 5 years
2021:add a new show
2022:new flat ride(s) like a Finnegan’s flyers
2023:eek:ff year/improvements
2024:family ride/dark ride
2025: B&M Giga coaster and new land take over rhino rally, theme it to a rhino.

In light of the Epic Universe announcement, one thing that BGT seriously needs is an official onsite resort. A quick look at TripAdvisor reveals that a large portion of guests are tourists from out of town who are making a one-day detour from their week long Orlando vacation, and as it is a fair number of them are advising others to skip Busch Gardens altogether in favor of the Orlando parks. With another park in Orlando, Busch Gardens is going to have to sell itself as a multi-day destination to convince people to spend any time in Tampa, and with no clearly designated place to stay overnight that's going to be a tough sell. It's strange to me that this park, which is the oldest in the state and arguably has the best business case for its own hotel, is the only one in Florida not to have an official or even "partner" hotel, or even an abundance of nearby hotels excluding the not-so-savory properties on Busch Blvd.

In light of the Epic Universe announcement, one thing that BGT seriously needs is an official onsite resort. A quick look at TripAdvisor reveals that a large portion of guests are tourists from out of town who are making a one-day detour from their week long Orlando vacation, and as it is a fair number of them are advising others to skip Busch Gardens altogether in favor of the Orlando parks. With another park in Orlando, Busch Gardens is going to have to sell itself as a multi-day destination to convince people to spend any time in Tampa, and with no clearly designated place to stay overnight that's going to be a tough sell. It's strange to me that this park, which is the oldest in the state and arguably has the best business case for its own hotel, is the only one in Florida not to have an official or even "partner" hotel, or even an abundance of nearby hotels excluding the not-so-savory properties on Busch Blvd.
There could be one already planned and we just don’t know. They are still working on their ride lineup as of now it seems. But I agree a hotel would be nice for out of town visitors.