Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

I'm curious: is that why we're not getting the Purge this year?
Three reasons: 1 - no movie this year. 2 - A&D can get bored doing the same thing over and over. 3 - previously, Murdy was lead in bringing Blum to the table. Orlando "lost this year" reestablishing the relationship.

The GP still likes it. They have incentive to bring it back.
Can i ask your opinion?
What are reasons that older houses dont come back? Even if they were ready to be made?
I know one obvious reason could be that things move on and that new ips come into play

But do they have any other reasons for leaving originals behind?
Each year has a vision and starts with a blank slate. The houses developed for that year fit certain themes/vibes to ensure the houses don't all feel the same. Most of the time, the designers want to bring new ideas to the table. It just takes a perfect storm (right opening, interest in an older idea) to bring them back.

Not sure if that's sarcasm, cuz I'd legitimately enjoy a Ma section in a maze. I thought Ma was a fun thriller with some taboo-pushing moments that'd be great to see live. idk, sue me I guess.

No sarcasm. I think those two could make a legit, good maze. I didn't care much for the story of Glass but the scenes could be cool to see play-out, especially the fight at the van and Kevin charging at us near a strobe-lit doorway, changing personalities as he goes.

No sarcasm. I think those two could make a legit, good maze. I didn't care much for the story of Glass but the scenes could be cool to see play-out, especially the fight at the van and Kevin charging at us near a strobe-lit doorway, changing personalities as he goes.

Ahah, I wasn't sure lol.

Yeah, the news that Murdy and Blum aren't on good terms was disappointing to me, as I like both and it was (to my knowledge) Hollywood's side that pushed for Horrors of Blumhouse. I, again, hope this is a fence they can mend, 'cuz I think it's produced some decent work in the past.

Blumhouse has a lot of interesting projects still on the docket (YOU SHOULD HAVE LEFT), and it'd be a shame to see them reduce their presence at HHN.

Ahah, I wasn't sure lol.

Yeah, the news that Murdy and Blum aren't on good terms was disappointing to me, as I like both and it was (to my knowledge) Hollywood's side that pushed for Horrors of Blumhouse. I, again, hope this is a fence they can mend, 'cuz I think it's produced some decent work in the past.

Blumhouse has a lot of interesting projects still on the docket (YOU SHOULD HAVE LEFT), and it'd be a shame to see them reduce their presence at HHN.

I DESPERATELY want Blumhouse to finally adapt the book Meddling Kids, which they published, so a maze can be made of it. Not sure if you heard of it but it is Scooby-Doo!-meets-Supernatural-meets-H.P. Lovecraft and I love it.

I'm not sure if Hollywood still has the Scooby-Gang and the Mystery Machine. Orlando does and I always hope they'll have a Scooby-Doo! zone or at least have the actors out, running from monsters.

I DESPERATELY want Blumhouse to finally adapt the book Meddling Kids, which they published, so a maze can be made of it. Not sure if you heard of it but it is Scooby-Doo!-meets-Supernatural-meets-H.P. Lovecraft and I love it.

I'm not sure if Hollywood still has the Scooby-Gang and the Mystery Machine. Orlando does and I always hope they'll have a Scooby-Doo! zone or at least have the actors out, running from monsters.

My God, lol, I own that book but haven't gotten around to it! Hahaha.

Yeah, Blumhouse has published a fair few horror novels that would be neat as a movie or a maze. David Auerbach, who wrote the creepypasta Penpal all the way back in the day, wrote a novel for Blumhouse called "Bad Man" that was very, very creepy at points, think Amityville crossed with Prisoners. I think it stumbled a little at the ending and had one too many red herrings for my taste, and the characters were a little thin, but it's got a very solid core plot and I'd love to see it brought to film and maybe HHN.

EDIT: They never did a Scooby Doo halloween event for the regular daytime park, have they? That seems like it'd be a fun thing to do, just a show or two.

Yeah, Blumhouse has published a fair few horror novels that would be neat as a movie or a maze. David Auerbach, who wrote the creepypasta Penpal all the way back in the day, wrote a novel for Blumhouse called "Bad Man" that was very, very creepy at points, think Amityville crossed with Prisoners. I think it stumbled a little at the ending and had one too many red herrings for my taste, and the characters were a little thin, but it's got a very solid core plot and I'd love to see it brought to film and maybe HHN.

EDIT: They never did a Scooby Doo halloween event for the regular daytime park, have they? That seems like it'd be a fun thing to do, just a show or two.

I don't believe so. Not that I know of. To be fair, I have not visited the park during the day as much around HHN time to see.

If blumhouse has so many great books out, why are their movies lackluster?
These two soundmuch more interesting than some of their other movies

If blumhouse has so many great books out, why are their movies lackluster?
These two soundmuch more interesting than some of their other movies

Guess we have different definitions of lackluster, cause I love their movies lol.

Still, a good explanation might be that books can be infinitely edited and rewritten, whereas filmmaking will always be constrained by budget, timetables, getting everyone to work together, etc. Sentences you envision in your head will always be the same on the page, but a scene you envision on the set can come out wrong due to lackluster lighting, or perhaps the actor didn't quite get what you were going for but there was too little time to reshoot. A book can also write "fifty foot Lovecraftian monster," but a movie can't necessarily just make one.

Another explanation might be that books require less infrastructure to advertise and sell - bookstores generally do it for you. For movies, which require more money to advertise and are therefore required to make more money, Blumhouse generally seeks out certain kinds of high-concept genre scripts, such as slasher movies and paranormal thrillers. But books require far less money to put out and market - see, for example, the massive number of small and even University presses in America. I believe an eBook can be advertised for $20,000 if you want to be extravagant, whereas most movies take $30m to advertise if they're wide release. As such, books can afford to be more experimental with their content.

Last edited:
Universal Orlando is seeking Actors that meet the requirements below:

Female: 5’5”-5’10” Slender build able to speak with a New York dialect.

Female: 5’8” and taller

Male: 5’10”-6’2” Robust build, strong voice. Must be bald or willing to shave head.

Male: 5’5”-6’2” Must have strong improvisational skills and hosting skills.

Male: 5’10” and taller, slender build.

These were the only casting calls for HHN actors. A Beetlejuice show would require dancers, comedic actors with celebrity impressions, and, of course, the ghost with the most himself.
This is a great find, but they could have also done a lot of in house casting calls too. A lot of the original Bill and Ted cast still work at Universal and they could have emailed them for roles they knew they could fill and sent out a casting call for the roles they still needed filled.

So how accurate do we think house of 1000 corpses will be to the movie. I’m super excited for this house but can totally see them censoring a lot of this house :(

Depends on what exactly you want in the house I'd say. Hollywood's HOTC seemed to rep it pretty well I thought blood and gore wise.

This is a great find, but they could have also done a lot of in house casting calls too. A lot of the original Bill and Ted cast still work at Universal and they could have emailed them for roles they knew they could fill and sent out a casting call for the roles they still needed filled.

I’m pretty sure they know how to get a hold of James Keaton to fill that Beatlejuice roll

Depends on what exactly you want in the house I'd say. Hollywood's HOTC seemed to rep it pretty well I thought blood and gore wise.
I’m just wondering if they will go all out with Otis. I know we can’t have all the language but some here and there would be fitting for the house. I just don’t see them having a barn full of dead cheerleaders or something I could be wrong tho

I’m just wondering if they will go all out with Otis. I know we can’t have all the language but some here and there would be fitting for the house. I just don’t see them having a barn full of dead cheerleaders or something I could be wrong tho

I don't believe that was in the Hollywood version but someone who was there one of the two years can correct me on that one. Though videos are online, and I don't recall that scene.

Good point. But if that were the case, they would have never held auditions specifically for Bill and Ted every year.

They didn’t do any in house casting calls for HHN that were different than that