Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 29: Us

I have a feeling that this will be the least scary house of the year. This will be less scary than the purge. Theres just not much to work with.
The movie might have been freaky, but having actors in red jumpsuits with scissors in their hands doesnt sound scary to me at all.
There was nothing in the sets that was that memorable either.

I cant imagine how this house will be scary.

I have a feeling that this will be the least scary house of the year. This will be less scary than the purge. Theres just not much to work with.
The movie might have been freaky, but having actors in red jumpsuits with scissors in their hands doesnt sound scary to me at all.
There was nothing in the sets that was that memorable either.

I cant imagine how this house will be scary.

I think the fun house section (assuming it will be there) will be pretty cool. I forget who commented about it, but I am also in the camp that we need a pop out owl as a scare. The underground portion would be cool as well. It freaked me out on film, and I'm sure with some mirrors, they can make it look just as expansive.

So far they are going to make this house simple, I don't think it will be messed up, the concept of the house according to the information is:

The Wilson Family Beach House
Santa Cruz Pier
Fun House
Tunnels with The Tethered

There really isn't going to be a lot of parts from the movie that will be used which is fine, it's going to be a pretty simple house and everyone is treating it like they are going to go scene for scene when they aren't.

So far they are going to make this house simple, I don't think it will be messed up, the concept of the house according to the information is:

The Wilson Family Beach House
Santa Cruz Pier
Fun House
Tunnels with The Tethered

There really isn't going to be a lot of parts from the movie that will be used which is fine, it's going to be a pretty simple house and everyone is treating it like they are going to go scene for scene when they aren't.

And the actors will look like regular people i guess
This will be more simple than the purge lol

And the actors will look like regular people i guess
This will be more simple than the purge lol

I'm sure Universal will come up with some effect in the house that'll better house but I'm not counting it, but I don't think this house will entirely bad, a few things here or there but I feel like it could actually come out as a decent house, it would not be repetitive like last year's Blumhouse had turned out to be, no offense to scareactors but the house looked very rushed.

I think the fun house section (assuming it will be there) will be pretty cool. I forget who commented about it, but I am also in the camp that we need a pop out owl as a scare. The underground portion would be cool as well. It freaked me out on film, and I'm sure with some mirrors, they can make it look just as expansive.

I commented about the owl.

I believe they have confirmed the funhouse being in the movie.

The weird thought I had the other night is this: from a thematic/artistic standpoint this is the most quality MOVIE at the event, but from a content standpoint, this could be the weakest HOUSE. There's still lots of things to work with here, but it will have a hard time feeling much different than most of the other slasher houses that have graced the event. Thanks to the various in movie locations, the sets will likely have more variety than something like "Halloween", but not as much variety as "A Nightmare on Elm Street".

The weird part is, if you were to say one of the three (four?) major slashers was coming, most would be excited even if the setting was somewhere that felt the same throughout (like "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"), but because "Us" is a divisive movie, people are divided on it as a house.

The thought of walking into the dark hallway before the house starts(like Scary Tales and Dead Waters had) with the Tethered remix of “I Got 5 on It” playing has me so excited for this house.

Expecting this one to progress from creepy to full on scary the further into the house you go

The thought of walking into the dark hallway before the house starts(like Scary Tales and Dead Waters had) with the Tethered remix of “I Got 5 on It” playing has me so excited for this house.

Expecting this one to progress from creepy to full on scary the further into the house you go

That would be cool but personally, I'm hoping we get rabbits in cages somehow with this.

That would be cool but personally, I'm hoping we get rabbits in cages somehow with this.

I can see them reusing the cages from Dead Exposure last year and having some opened and with fake rabbits in each and possibly a jump scare with one of the Tethered or something.

Don't know if anyone noticed, but Monkeypaw Productions tweeted out a neat, original piece of Key Art for the maze:

Attachments

• EDuC2-hU8AA1oT7.jpg
    EDuC2-hU8AA1oT7.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 42
This house seems to be getting surprisingly good reviews. Also,
Good Vibrations is in the Tyler house instead of F*** tha Police, expectedly. Kitty’s doppelgänger will have a room and there’s a rabbit room with Red. Also the finale is supposedly really good

Will write up a proper review in the review thread later but it seemed like with the IPs this year it was less about scares and more about putting you “in the movie”. This house and Stranger Things epitomized that for me.

As an avid fan of the movie I LOVED this house, but I also could tell there were missed scare opportunities. For instance,
the fact that we walk past the classroom and not into it disappointed me since the Pas de Deux is the most iconic part of the movie, especially when Red rips the paper people apart. Also, not walking into Kitty’s room with her doppelgänger putting on makeup was a missed opportunity for a creepy scene.

Overall it captured the atmosphere of the movie perfectly and the finale was amazing!! Sets were great too. Overall probably tied for first of the IPs with Killer Klowns for me, but I’m hoping Hollywood goes less for atmosphere and more for scares. This reminded me of Orfanage in a way because of how creepy it was; but the twins scared the absolute **** out of me

Last edited:
This house seems to be getting surprisingly good reviews. Also,
Good Vibrations is in the Tyler house instead of F*** tha Police, expectedly. Kitty’s doppelgänger will have a room and there’s a rabbit room with Red. Also the finale is supposedly really good

I was pleasantly surprised by this house.

When I went through, there was a line where they said to call the police and then a few seconds of F*** tha Police started to play. Then it would reset and cycle back to the call the police part. I got stuck in this room and saw the cycle a couple of times.

The house is fascinating to examine, at least from a design perspective. It felt like they were really genuinely afraid of it becoming "Person in red jump suit lunges at you with scissors to a musical sting" that they did a lot to avoid those scares and as a result it struggles in other, different ways? Like, it has a good mix of stuff it tries to do, it just doesn't always land? But the stuff that works works well. I'm really torn on this one.

I watched TimTracker's runthrough of the houses and the Us house was fascinating.

They really leaned into the silent jump scares (the characters just appear) and a sense of creepiness from the silence. Very different scares from the other houses.

It seemed like the scare actors were still trying to understand how to maximize the scares. Didn't seem like many of them were landing in the media preview. I'm sure it'll improve