Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I'm very inclined to believe @Alicia, though I will say that what an insider says here on the forums includes a mix of opinion and rumors... But what Alicia states in an article on her website seems to be rumors backed by credible sources and other evidence (leaked images, permits, etc). I mean no offense, but there's a higher level of stakes and credibility when someone puts their neck on the line with something like this.

Keep in mind, a TPU, Screamscape, or ParkStop article might show up in someones news-feed... A forum post will not.

The world may keep getting articles spreading the same (possibly inaccurate) rumor of a ticketless hub. I think it's a legitimate question asking if someone has (or will) attempt to discredit this rumor publicly (at the same level of visibility as TPU).

Edit:
I tried searching for Alicia making a statement on this and I could only find her saying that everyone is saying it's dead (to paraphrase).. so I'm a little unclear if she is referring to people here or her direct sources. If someone can point me in the right direction if she's said something more concrete that would be helpful. (It's very difficult searching for something like this on the forums without reading through literally hundreds of posts.)
I never put it into to an article, and try not to bring it up in podcasts, because to be honest, I don’t know. I have heard from people that heard it was canceled, like Joe here, and another friend elsewhere. But that’s second hand. I have no first hand source, so I usually to defer on others.

I think it’s a dumb idea. I don’t think they should do it. I’ve had more people tell me they aren’t than the two articles saying they are. But without seeing something like an internal memo or something else to substantiate the claim, it’s not something I’d stake an article on one way or the other at this point.

Look at my answers on Twitter when I’m asked. That’s all I can say lol.

Not sure if I should put this in the USF threads or not, but with Epic Universe and Universal expanding and trying to be “bigger”, is there any chance we see more shows returning to film in Orlando? Orlando is growing big time to be the kids Vegas of the east. 10 years ago the whole landscape was different. Sure Disney was similar but I think everyone agrees Potter was a big game changer and has created more recent competition.

Just wondering, would be awesome to even have a game show filmed there again or something!

Halo
Sonic
Resident Evil
Pinball
Pac man
Galaga
Call of duty
Guitar Hero/Rock Band
Zelda
Starfox
Smash
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Ready Player One

Halo
Sonic
Resident Evil
Pinball
Pac man
Galaga
Call of duty
Guitar Hero/Rock Band
Zelda
Starfox
Smash
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Ready Player One

Technically Pac Man could be a part of the Mario Kart ride since he was a playable character in the Arcade version. It probably wouldn't be hard to fit Sonic in too since they do the Mario and Sonic Olympic games as well.

Halo
Sonic
Resident Evil
Pinball
Pac man
Galaga
Call of duty
Guitar Hero/Rock Band
Zelda
Starfox
Smash
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Ready Player One

Feel like you could get a pretty good Sonic coaster. Zelda is also a good shout, as it will come across as generic fantasy for anyone not familiar with it. Likewise with Halo which can come across as generic Sci-fi for anyone not familiar. Still think it's unlikely to happen though.

Other than that (maybe Reader Player One as it's based off other IP's anyway so doesn't really count) I don't think those IP's will have even been discussed, let alone considered as options.

Feel like you could get a pretty good Sonic coaster. Zelda is also a good shout, as it will come across as generic fantasy for anyone not familiar with it. Likewise with Halo which can come across as generic Sci-fi for anyone not familiar. Still think it's unlikely to happen though.

Other than that (maybe Reader Player One as it's based off other IP's anyway so doesn't really count) I don't think those IP's will have even been discussed, let alone considered as options.
I forgot about Fortnite, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Roller Coaster Tycoon, and Crash Bandicoot. :)

a non-ticketed hub is a terrible idea and a logistical nightmare, not to mention a terrible guest experience.
I'm seeing this as less black and white. There's several options in between ticketless vs traditional that Universal could see as viable.

I forgot about Fortnite, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Roller Coaster Tycoon, and Crash Bandicoot. :)

Uncharted/Tomb Raider could be awesome actually! I especially think that Tomb Raider is big enough in the sense that most people have heard of it and kinda have a sense of what it's about. Probably not a big enough IP to anchor a land but could be thrown into a fantasy/ruined city/lost cave type area (if such an IP exists lol) no problem.

Also hearing rumours for years about movies for Uncharted and The Last Of Us. Honestly those movies could both be HUGE if done right and they both have theme park potential.

I'm seeing this as less black and white. There's several options in between ticketless vs traditional that Universal could see as viable.
I can see the nighttime hub experience being a thing, but imagine during normal park hours just getting off Mario Kart and checking the app to see a low wait on the Monsters ride, so you leave that land through turnstiles, then have to go through turnstiles again to get to the new land but by the time you get there the wait has skyrocketed.

I can see the nighttime hub experience being a thing, but imagine during normal park hours just getting off Mario Kart and checking the app to see a low wait on the Monsters ride, so you leave that land through turnstiles, then have to go through turnstiles again to get to the new land but by the time you get there the wait has skyrocketed.
Well, you're going to have to walk from land to land no matter what, ticketless doesn't change that. From what we can tell, there's no pathways connecting these lands; one way in and one way out.

Turnstiles would add additional minutes onto your time. I get that it's a pain. It's something I deal with every week on my visit to IOA / USF... I might go through a ticketed turnstile a dozen or more times in a day (playing Pokemon Go, back and forth from IOA to USF). It could take anywhere from 20 seconds to 5 minutes, so it's not an awesome idea to think I might have to double the time I'd be in these lines. There's ways to mitigate this pain though... The first is if they figure out some next gen idea like facial recognition (then we can debate feasibility of this). The other option might be more costly, which would be to hire a ton of ticket attendants, so there's never a line.

Or, Universal might not care that you have to wait in a two minute line for each land. They might argue, 'That's a shorter time than a ride, a soda, or at times, the bathroom. People will get over it.' (Hopefully they don't go this route.)

(Also keep in mind that each area may have capacity issues which limits your ability to enter the land without first waiting in line. I'm assuming Epic Universe is going to be at or near capacity at least for the first few months, and some worlds may be more popular than others. )

If we're talking about game themed attractions (aside from Nintendo), my vote is for Jumanji. :)

I'm a huge Blizzard fanboy, so I would love Overwatch, Diablo, Warcraft, but I understand how the general public might not know or care about these IPs.

Last edited:
I've been reading a few older threads and I had not realized that How to Train Your Dragon had been rumored to replace Lost Continent. I found this post from @Disneyhead interesting:

A kid friendly Game of Thrones land featuring adorable cartoon dragons, likable teen characters, and Turkey Legs & Ale! If I have to pass through a Viking version of a Renaissance Festival on my way to Potter, I may not make it to Potter.

Vikings>Pirates. Just sayin'.

I know that one of the reasons that Uni likes the HTTYD pitch over some of the others is they are desperate to add people eating shows since they lost Beetlejuice and are losing FFL and Animal Actors. And Sindbad's simply isn't pulling it's weight in the context of the resort. They also feel a Creature Tech puppet show could easily compete with the quality of The Festival of the Lion King and Nemo. Quality live shows is an area the Uni. has struggled with for the past decade or so and they feel this would help in that area.

And as for the E Ticket, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy from Deviant Art is on the right track.

how_to_train_your_dragon_ride_by_skylanth-d3gm0z1.jpg

So looking back at the concept art, 1) we got the coaster, though it's up in the air whether it'll look like the above artwork, and 2) we have at least one show building which looks large enough for what @Disneyhead is referring to.
upload_2019-8-13_20-45-38.png

Now going back to this idea that HTTYD's original concept may have been to replace Lost Continent... if you squint your eyes (until they're almost closed), you can kind of see how the layout on the concept art might fit into Lost Continent (with major revisions):

HTTYD LC.JPG

I've been reading a few older threads and I had not realized that How to Train Your Dragon had been rumored to replace Lost Continent. I found this post from @Disneyhead interesting:

So looking back at the concept art, 1) we got the coaster, though it's up in the air whether it'll look like the above artwork, and 2) we have at least one show building which looks large enough for what @Disneyhead is referring to.
View attachment 10526

Now going back to this idea that HTTYD's original concept may have been to replace Lost Continent... if you squint your eyes (until they're almost closed), you can kind of see how the layout on the concept art might fit into Lost Continent (with major revisions):

View attachment 10530
Dave (@Disneyhead) has always had good sources on UC 'pitched' Universal concepts. The concept seems to have finally found a home at the new park after briefly being considered for IOA.....Example: He had the Jaws removal for Diagon before anyone else and he had DC being replaced with a themed coaster with both outdoor and indoor areas (Hagrids) before any site.

Last edited:
My thoughts on a ticketless hub. I just don't see this as a good idea during normal park hours. It was stated that EU is UOR's 4th park. If you make the hub ticketless, you're essentially making the 4 lands each a separate gate with its own turnstiles. This makes for an inconsistent and possibly confusing experience for guests purchasing a multi-day park-to-park pass to UOR.

Take Disneyland Resort for example. What makes it an easy resort to park hop is the fact that the parks face each other and are separated by the esplanade and that Downtown Disney is off to the side. Exit one park and within minutes, you can enter the other park without dealing with the traffic from Downtown Disney. Double the resort and you now have 4 sets of turnstiles with a larger esplanade. This somewhat mimics EU's 4 lands. Now take a super-plussed up version of Downtown Disney and plop it right on the esplanade. Imagine having to get from one land to the next while having to deal with Downtown Disney's crowds.

Now, if EU closes at 9 pm, I can see them possibly opening up the hub for free to turn it into a CityWalk 2.0 opening until midnight or later on the weekends, but I can't see the hub being open to all during normal park hours.

Also I feel like everyone I talk to about Orlando (more Disney than Universal) lately is complaining about crowds and congestion. I just don't see the benefit in opening a hub to people who might spend the whole day window shopping while ticketed guests are frustrated by all the over crowding. Also you would need operations and security cast at each of the four entrances.

Also I feel like everyone I talk to about Orlando (more Disney than Universal) lately is complaining about crowds and congestion. I just don't see the benefit in opening a hub to people who might spend the whole day window shopping while ticketed guests are frustrated by all the over crowding. Also you would need operations and security cast at each of the four entrances.
Yup. I agree with all of this. It just sounds like a way to alienate your paying customers

Status
Not open for further replies.