Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 29: Academy of Villains - Altered States

New logo for the new show. Looks like more of a return to the horror instead of the sci-fi from last year. Very Jekyll and Hyde-esque.

That's an incredible logo. Much cooler than anything HHN itself has come up with in years. I would buy a shirt with an HHN logo that cool.

I mean, no matter the logo the show will just be standard America's Got Talent numbers, and they'll make two people get on stage and do "the robot" and it will be awkward, and their Cliff Notes version of Jekyll & Hyde story will feel tacked on and gratuitous ... but that is some beautiful, iconic artwork.

I figured they were coming back, really hope they do something different from last year. We all loved the first two years and saw them almost every night. Last year felt so cringe especially with the forced audience interaction.

We'll definitely see it once out of respect for the performers, but the show will determine whether its a one and done or not. I know they have the talent and ability.

I was just saying last night, depending on how that shirt looks, I might be snagging an AoV shirt with my yearly HHN haul.
Yes they will be selling this years AoV Altered States HHN shirts, so you know to snag one ASAP, sold out of the CyberPunk ones fairly fast, and a little tidbit, if your are following or followed by both Pharside & Phoenix, I do believe they are selling the shirts already, I will check into later, But year this years show is gonna be AMAZING. Especially, since they have been busy with Pharside over in Japan, and Vietnam and Phoenix was doing some things in Las Vegas, and got real sick. but they are excited to be back and both are amazing as a couple can be, Yes they are Married, but also very good reaching out to help the communities.

Sorry for my ramble but I love AoV because they are our extended family to The House of Vayne

That's awesome of them, I know people have mixed things about them, I'm one that watches their videos on youtube and seeing how skillful dancers they are, I'm really intrigued in seeing what they do this year, I loved the Cyberpunk-esque Blade Runner show last year, I wonder what they will do this year to knock it out of the park.

Yes they will be selling this years AoV Altered States HHN shirts, so you know to snag one ASAP, sold out of the CyberPunk ones fairly fast, and a little tidbit, if your are following or followed by both Pharside & Phoenix, I do believe they are selling the shirts already, I will check into later, But year this years show is gonna be AMAZING. Especially, since they have been busy with Pharside over in Japan, and Vietnam and Phoenix was doing some things in Las Vegas, and got real sick. but they are excited to be back and both are amazing as a couple can be, Yes they are Married, but also very good reaching out to help the communities.

Sorry for my ramble but I love AoV because they are our extended family to The House of Vayne

I don't follow them much personally (I like watching dance groups, but not excessively), but not gonna lie, it was kind of an awe moment having Phoenix in the Cyberpunk show. (I'm under the impression Pharside was on stage at least one night, not sure if that's true though.)

Looking forward to seeing them again this year.

Any reports on how the show from the first week? Does it fit the HHN theme like it did in 2016? Any cringeworthy audience participation?

I don't follow them much personally (I like watching dance groups, but not excessively), but not gonna lie, it was kind of an awe moment having Phoenix in the Cyberpunk show. (I'm under the impression Pharside was on stage at least one night, not sure if that's true though.)
You will be seeing Pharside and Phoenix this year, a lot more of Pharside I do believe for awhile or they both may be scheduling other stuff around this HHN season.

We saw the show on Saturday. We were huge fans of the Asylum and Pre-Irma/Irma Shows (probably saw each over 10 times). We did not like Cyber Punk at all, saw it once and were incredibly disappointed and decided that was more than enough.

This show was amazing! We plan to see it many many more times. Definitely much more HHN-y, and in fact they paid homage to the theater in at least two different ways. No Cringe, Must See!

Finally saw it for myself (twice, mostly to kill time for our second night but also there’s so much to see), this was a solid show. The only part I was meh on was the soccer ball guy, but not knocking his talent.

But that ribbon act, DANG. I haven’t feared for someone’s life on stage in quite a while.

Caught this last night--pretty easily best of the HHN AoV shows. Jekyll & Hyde/Frankenstein references finally give it the Halloween feel I always thought it lacked. The first half is standard America's Best Dance Crew material, but the contortionist and aerialist take the second half to new heights (sorry for the pun), then the shadow dance finale is truly amazing.

Only complaint: tho smaller in number, AoV fans are even more obnoxious than B&T fans. I'm talking final month of Adventurers Club bad. Dancing along to the the choreography, shouting out each performer's name as they take the stage, a standing ovation for a middle-of-the night show that lasted the entire curtain call--just annoying conduct to casual guests to try and prove they're the biggest AoV fan in the house. Not the troupe's fault but detracted from the show.

Caught this last night--pretty easily best of the HHN AoV shows. Jekyll & Hyde/Frankenstein references finally give it the Halloween feel I always thought it lacked. The first half is standard America's Best Dance Crew material, but the contortionist and aerialist take the second half to new heights (sorry for the pun), then the shadow dance finale is truly amazing.

Only complaint: tho smaller in number, AoV fans are even more obnoxious than B&T fans. I'm talking final month of Adventurers Club bad. Dancing along to the the choreography, shouting out each performer's name as they take the stage, a standing ovation for a middle-of-the night show that lasted the entire curtain call--just annoying conduct to casual guests to try and prove they're the biggest AoV fan in the house. Not the troupe's fault but detracted from the show.
Ok the real review question for you. Would you go see it again on your own volition?

Ok the real review question for you. Would you go see it again on your own volition?

I wouldn't be opposed if a friend wanted to see it. Probably see it at least once more just to say I did.

Part of the problem is, with Express, you get spoiled. Friend and I were discussing how B&T was always an hour plus out of your night that was a lock. Now I sweep in after dark, see four to eight houses in 3 hours, and I'm ready to bolt. It's not like hanging in the zones or at Finns inspires me to stick around longer.

I wouldn't be opposed if a friend wanted to see it. Probably see it at least once more just to say I did.

Part of the problem is, with Express, you get spoiled. Friend and I were discussing how B&T was always an hour plus out of your night that was a lock. Now I sweep in after dark, see four to eight houses in 3 hours, and I'm ready to bolt. It's not like hanging in the zones or at Finns inspires me to stick around longer.
Wow thats pretty high praise from you.

I completely agree, we can knock out a bunch of houses in a couple of hours, and I'm just not really feeling the scarezones enough that I would hang out in them. Finn's being an annoying line is still bleh, basically just run in see if anyone is there and peace out.

Still need to see the water show, but I generally am ready to leave before the first one begins at this point...

Seems like the majority of posters have talked about a steady decline in the Scare Zones the past few years. The Parade has been around for 7-8 years, and I recall some pretty good scarezones the two years I went since the parade has been there, limiting street usage, so I can't see the relevancy in blaming the parade for lessened scarezone quality. I'm not a hardcore horror fan, but I actually enjoyed the scarezones more than the houses. So, what's going on with scarezone lessened quality, if, what so many posters say, is true. ?

Saw the last show on Saturday (9/21), after last years Cyberpunk which had the production skills, but a bit of a falter on show itself...this is hands-down the best show they've done since House of Fear.

This show was incredibly tight, keeping the great production values they gained from moving into the FFL theater, and telling a Dr. Jeckyll and Hyde/Plague storyline which is so far the most fitting horror theme they've done for a show here. The dancing was good as always, and the interspersed specialty acts added a nice variety to the show. I personally liked all three, and I have to give a shout out to the Bone Breaker. I personally know several friends who do that (in fact one of them learned it while working at Uni!), and what that guy did was insane. He just kept ramping it up until the final move which floored the entire audience!

As for the shadowplay finale, *Chef's Kiss*. That's one of the best variants they've done of that. A lot of great tricks and playing with having performers in front of the screens.

Add in a killer mix of tunes for the show, and this was very well worth seeing! An if you add in Marathon of Mayhem being a great show as well, you have two shows which could very well help spread the crowds in the busier October nights.

Haven't seen any AoV before, but really enjoyed this. A cool story and really great music choices kept my interest the whole way.

Contortionist is freaky!