Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Studios Beijing (Now Open)

No doubt. Most of Beijing is USF Part Two. Epic, all new attractions and shows, and all new immersive lands. Beijing should be a beautiful park, but not groundbreaking.
Something interesting is even though this is not anytime soon, the second park in beijing is planned to be IPs that are major in China but not necessarily in the US so they may get many lands we wouldn’t

006FPnJnly1g8qcj6zdx4j34mo334e86.jpg

Great construction update!

Uninspired? Not sure what you were expecting, it's a best of Universal park for a new market place most of whom will have never been to a Universal park before.

The quality of the lands has definitely been stepped up - freaking giant mountains in Jurassic World :)

I believe the IP's for the park were specifically chosen based on surveys of the Chinese population, definitely read that somewhere.

Sorry, delayed response! As mentioned I think Jurassic World and Kung Fu Panda are great, it's the rest of the park that is uninspiring. It is largely a piecemeal combo of USF and IOA without any real connective tissue.

-The entire Transformers area is a weird 'overlay' of Super Hero Island.
-Potter (as I mentioned), is NOT a popular IP in China. We constantly hear about how insignificant Star Wars is in that market, but TFA performed 5x more than any of the Potter movies. It also will re-feature Flying Unicorn, a ride that only exists because Universal was in too much of a financial hole in 2007 to replace it.
-Despicable Me's Super Silly Fun Faire is the definition of uninspired. An amusement park in a theme park. With the headliner that is a clone of an aging overlay, of an overlay of an overlay.
-Waterworld (while a good stunt show) holds no IP relevance, is quite an old show and easily could have been updated for the market. I'd be equally miffed if this was substituted for something in Epic Worlds.

Shanghai hews more closely to Epic Worlds in its redesign of the mould.

Last edited:
Sorry, delayed response! As mentioned I think Jurassic World and Kung Fu Panda are great, it's the rest of the park that is uninspiring.

-Potter (as I mentioned), is NOT a popular IP in China. We constantly hear about how insignificant Star Wars is in that market, but TFA performed 5x more than any of the Potter movies. It also will re-feature Flying Unicorn, a ride that only exists because Universal was in too much of a financial hole in 2007 to replace it.
-Despicable Me's Super Silly Fun Faire is the definition of uninspired. An amusement park in a theme park.
-Waterworld (while a good stunt show) holds no IP relevance, is quite an old show and easily could have been updated for the market. I'd be equally miffed if this was substituted for something in Epic Worlds.

I don’t understand your argument with Potter. Regardless of how popular it is, the Wizarding World is regarded as the BEST theme park land in the entire world, of course that’s going to come over. Your other arguments I can understand a bit more but I’m fine with it being a “best of” park with a few new things that hint towards the future of the company.

I don’t understand your argument with Potter. Regardless of how popular it is, the Wizarding World is regarded as the BEST theme park land in the entire world, of course that’s going to come over. Your other arguments I can understand a bit more but I’m fine with it being a “best of” park with a few new things that hint towards the future of the company.

The poster I was responding to said the IP were specifically chosen for the Chinese market.

Potter was specifically chosen because it is one of their best offerings and presumably they are hoping that will translate. That's more akin to them sending their best item on their menu over to another market. One cannot say they made a new dish for another market, they just brought what works.

I'm sure it will be well received, because it is Universal best menu item... but it is not any more tailored to the market or a deeper decision than 'this is the best thing we have'.

It's also a confusing decision for Comcast to beach-head a property in China that they've licensed.

Edit: Also I do agree with you. My original post was actually that this park didn't annoy me as much because KFP and Jurassic World seem to be dedicated originals. The park seems to represent some of Universal Creative's old habits and their new (on display at Epic World).

The poster I was responding to said the IP were specifically chosen for the Chinese market.

Potter was specifically chosen because it is one of their best offerings and presumably they are hoping that will translate. That's more akin to them sending their best item on their menu over to another market. One cannot say they made a new dish for another market, they just brought what works.

I'm sure it will be well received, because it is Universal best menu item... but it is not any more tailored to the market or a deeper decision than 'this is the best thing we have'.

It's also a confusing decision for Comcast to beach-head a property in China that they've licensed.

Edit: Also I do agree with you. My original post was actually that this park didn't annoy me as much because KFP and Jurassic World seem to be dedicated originals. The park seems to represent some of Universal Creative's old habits and their new (on display at Epic World).
I believe he was saying that the second park will be catering to the Chinese market.

Sorry, delayed response! As mentioned I think Jurassic World and Kung Fu Panda are great, it's the rest of the park that is uninspiring.

-Despicable Me's Super Silly Fun Faire is the definition of uninspired. An amusement park in a theme park.

I get you, but I disagree personally, and I think the goal with this and Epic are different :D
Wouldn’t call transformers an overlay. Transformers the ride is similar to Spider-Man but is it’s own entity, and the land’s storyline seems like tons of fun and I’m excited to see how they theme the land to look like a living, thinking entity. Plus, universal seems to love having a “king of the park” trill coaster and this is the land that makes the most sense for me to put it in.
Potter is there based on the sheer quality of the attractions. Universal wants to show the great stuff they can do and hogsmede is a phenomenal example of it. Especially when they get Hagride :) (also, for what it’s worth, when I was a rideshy little kid FOTH was my favorite ride and one of the only ones I could ride)
Super Silly Funland is a great example of bringing a movie location which people would love to visit into real life. As a kid, me and my friends always wanted to go there and ride the rides, and the theming seems fun and over the top. It’s a fun way to expand on a consistently sucessful land, and as much as I love minion Park, this larger despicable me land will probably be much better.
-Waterworld is a great show, and once again is a shining example of a great attraction that will carry its own weight

This park will have the three new lands to specifically appeal to the Chinese market, two of which will have all new attractions (plus attractions like the Zhang Yimou LCA and the Chinese culture Hollywood show) but is primarily a “best of” universal. They want to use and expand upon their best stuff (and most trustworthy) to establish themselves and then use their second gate in a more experimental manor with IPs that are big in China and probably wouldn’t show up in the USA. The goal with it and epic are two different things.

Also wanna note that in the JW concept art from months ago you can see the waterfall mountain too, and though I can’t post screenshots it was in the UniBeijing commercial at 4:53 as further proof the concept art I posted was legit :D

Last edited:
With the second park being fairly far in the future, I would guess Universal will use new attraction systems that they develop for Epic, and just give them Chinese cultural overlays for Beijing's second park. So essentially they'll get mostly cloned systems again like they're getting in Beijing Park One.

With the second park being fairly far in the future, I would guess Universal will use new attraction systems that they develop for Epic, and just give them Chinese cultural overlays for Beijing's second park. So essentially they'll get mostly cloned systems again like they're getting in Beijing Park One.
I personally doubt it, especially since I don’t think any of the four Epic lands (aside from httyd or maybe UCM) would show up in the second gate. The second gate has the same goal as epic, to be new, different and innovative, so I personally expect new ride systems and stuff to show up (especially since many of the epic ride systems are done with the intention of bringing specific ip aspects to life, and the only ones I can see brought over substantially are any HTTYD ones if a Chinese Fantasy IP features riding dragons)

But that’s just me :D

The left side of the entry Hollywood land seems to have a building with a similar overview of DreamWorks theater (with a specific theater room) but with the theater room in another location. Could be lights camera action but also possibly where a reconfigured DreamWorks theater. I’d assume the massive showbuilding on the right where the LCA show could be. Not familiar

No doubt. Most of Beijing is USF Part Two reskinned. Epic, all new attractions and shows, and all new immersive lands. Beijing should be a beautiful park, but not groundbreaking.
If the theming is amazing, that’s what I truly care about. Rides are great and all, but that’s secondary to me.

-and easily could have been updated for the market.
It won’t be flying unicorn. It will be Hippogriff. Different coaster And manufacturer, different (and higher capacity) ride vehicles. Similar to USH, which is a much improved version of IoA’s.
To the point I wish they’d rip down IoA’s and rebuild w/ USH’s.

I get you, but I disagree personally, and I think the goal with this and Epic are different :D
Of course. It’s the anchor park vs an add-on park to a larger resort picture. Agree completely.

Potter is there based on the sheer quality of the attractions. Universal wants to show the great stuff they can do and hogsmede is a phenomenal example of it.
And it’s very inexpensive and reliable at this point. Their costs are significant cheaper here than somewhere like JW. I’d argue it’ll be the least expensive land to construct outside of WW, all in, because of the cloning, ride maintenance (cheaper parts due to quantity), etc.

I’ll be there opening year October 2021. Can’t wait!

There's some not so great Pixar Pier Parallels going on. We've got a Flick's Flyers, Character Carousel and the Movie characters on sticks.

Except they took it one step farther and impaled all their characters. :eek:O:

Hopefully the main attraction lives up to its potential!

I think this looks great tbh. The theming looks top notch and like a place id want to spend the entire day in haha. Hoping this comes to the states eventually. If the response to this is very strong I wonder if that makes the case stronger for it? Id love for this to go to Kidzone.

There's some not so great Pixar Pier Parallels going on. We've got a Flick's Flyers, Character Carousel and the Movie characters on sticks.

Except they took it one step farther and impaled all their characters. :eek:O:

Hopefully the main attraction lives up to its potential!

As far as the carousel is concerned; I would like to point out that the Furious Six have been seen in-universe to have merchandising, considering the dolls that Po has.

latest