Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My predictions:

99-100% Guranteed:
• Jordan Peele’s Candyman
- Way too much to support this one and the overwhelmingly positive reviews the Us maze had in Hollywood help fuel this fire. Comes out in June which lines up perfectly for home video synergy in September. Plus, it’ll likely be one of the Top 3 biggest/highest grossing horror movies of 2020.

• Universal Monsters(likely Dracula)
- Again, a lot supporting this one. Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman might not have cracked the Top 5 in GSAT’s but it did draw crowds, sell merch, and was positively reviewed. I would bet this returns but with Dracula and another monster in the forefront.

• 2-3 Original Mazes
- I see All Hallow’s Eve returning as a maze and being given the Holidayz treatment. Aside from that more original ideas in general are fair game since Pandora’s and Holidayz cracked the Top 5 in GSAT’s.

Wildcards:
• Beetlejuice
- Personally, I think this is a go. However with Ghostbusters’ negative reception I could see why they wouldn’t do another comedy horror movie, but I also think Beetlejuice is a scarier movie with more frightening imagery. I see this one as a 50/50, and even if it’s not a maze I wouldn’t doubt a Beetlejuice show

• Creepshow
- Wouldn't be shocked to see this return. That’s about all I have to say since it was a good maze and was well received, but I also wouldn’t call it a total lock.

• The Conjuring/IT/Scream/Hellraiser/NoES
- I think one of these will happen. I’m leaning towards Hellraiser since that’d be the easiest one to get since Clive has worked with Universal before, but I really want to see The Conjuring. With Orlando supposedly wanting to trim down their IP count I think we’ll see one of these + Candyman + another IP being shared.

• The Thing
- Orlando’s 30th anniversary means that they’ll likely bring back an old IP of the past as a repeat house and I think that Thing would make the most sense given Orlando’s history. Hollywood has also been dying to have the original movie so it just makes sense. Not too confident in this one but I just think it could go either way.

• Cult IP
- Killer Klowns and Creepshow both proved an IP doesn’t need to be huge to be well received. I think we’ll see a new cult classic IP come to HHN, not sure what but I’m hoping either Suspiria, Black Christmas, or Sleepaway Camp.

• The Haunting(Hill House, Bly Manor)
- I don’t think this will be happening this year but I also wouldn’t be shocked to see it. Hoping Murdy didn’t screw the pooch with Netflix since this show could potentially be the next Stranger Things

Not Confident:
• Ghostbusters 2020
- Maze was apparently received as a dud on both coasts. I thought both were fun but not scary whatsoever and it seems many guests agreed given the GSAT’s. Don’t see them bringing the sequel this year

• The Purge 5
- This one is moreso me hoping that we’re done with The Purge since a year without it was an amazing refresher. The First Purge was a pile of garbage maze that had good scares after 5 years of nonstop Purge in the parks, so if they even have a Purge popcorn cart I will riot. Sick of this franchise at HHN.

• Stranger Things 3
- Orlando basically covered most of what there is to cover from Season 3(although not to its fullest potential). Maze was low ranked on both coasts and I think Murdy will pull another Asylum/Coven with the show. Bummed we likely won’t get Starcourt in a Hollywood maze

• Halloween 5 or H20
- We won’t see H2018 nor Halloween Kills due to rights issues with Miramax but with Dimension out of the way H20 is somewhat available. I don’t see Hollywood going after Part 5 since it has little to no reach but I think H20 would make more sense. Personally I just think they’re done with Halloween for the time being.

My predictions:

99-100% Guranteed:
• Jordan Peele’s Candyman
- Way too much to support this one and the overwhelmingly positive reviews the Us maze had in Hollywood help fuel this fire. Comes out in June which lines up perfectly for home video synergy in September. Plus, it’ll likely be one of the Top 3 biggest/highest grossing horror movies of 2020.

• Universal Monsters(likely Dracula)
- Again, a lot supporting this one. Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman might not have cracked the Top 5 in GSAT’s but it did draw crowds, sell merch, and was positively reviewed. I would bet this returns but with Dracula and another monster in the forefront.

• 2-3 Original Mazes
- I see All Hallow’s Eve returning as a maze and being given the Holidayz treatment. Aside from that more original ideas in general are fair game since Pandora’s and Holidayz cracked the Top 5 in GSAT’s.

Wildcards:
• Beetlejuice
- Personally, I think this is a go. However with Ghostbusters’ negative reception I could see why they wouldn’t do another comedy horror movie, but I also think Beetlejuice is a scarier movie with more frightening imagery. I see this one as a 50/50, and even if it’s not a maze I wouldn’t doubt a Beetlejuice show

• Creepshow
- Wouldn't be shocked to see this return. That’s about all I have to say since it was a good maze and was well received, but I also wouldn’t call it a total lock.

- I think one of these will happen. I’m leaning towards Hellraiser since that’d be the easiest one to get since Clive has worked with Universal before, but I really want to see The Conjuring. With Orlando supposedly wanting to trim down their IP count I think we’ll see one of these + Candyman + another IP being shared.

• The Thing
- Orlando’s 30th anniversary means that they’ll likely bring back an old IP of the past as a repeat house and I think that Thing would make the most sense given Orlando’s history. Hollywood has also been dying to have the original movie so it just makes sense. Not too confident in this one but I just think it could go either way.

• Cult IP
- Killer Klowns and Creepshow both proved an IP doesn’t need to be huge to be well received. I think we’ll see a new cult classic IP come to HHN, not sure what but I’m hoping either Suspiria, Black Christmas, or Sleepaway Camp.

• The Haunting(Hill House, Bly Manor)
- I don’t think this will be happening this year but I also wouldn’t be shocked to see it. Hoping Murdy didn’t screw the pooch with Netflix since this show could potentially be the next Stranger Things

Not Confident:
• Ghostbusters 2020
- Maze was apparently received as a dud on both coasts. I thought both were fun but not scary whatsoever and it seems many guests agreed given the GSAT’s. Don’t see them bringing the sequel this year

• The Purge 5
- This one is moreso me hoping that we’re done with The Purge since a year without it was an amazing refresher. The First Purge was a pile of garbage maze that had good scares after 5 years of nonstop Purge in the parks, so if they even have a Purge popcorn cart I will riot. Sick of this franchise at HHN.

• Stranger Things 3
- Orlando basically covered most of what there is to cover from Season 3(although not to its fullest potential). Maze was low ranked on both coasts and I think Murdy will pull another Asylum/Coven with the show. Bummed we likely won’t get Starcourt in a Hollywood maze

• Halloween 5 or H20
- We won’t see H2018 nor Halloween Kills due to rights issues with Miramax but with Dimension out of the way H20 is somewhat available. I don’t see Hollywood going after Part 5 since it has little to no reach but I think H20 would make more sense. Personally I just think they’re done with Halloween for the time being.

H4 doesn't have much reach either. Didn't matter, was a crowd favorite in Orlando (I thought it sucked mind you).

No ST or GB on either coast would be great.

- I think one of these will happen. I’m leaning towards Hellraiser since that’d be the easiest one to get since Clive has worked with Universal before, but I really want to see The Conjuring.

If we're talking Warner Bros. properties like The Conjuring and IT, I'd kill to get a Gremlins maze at the event if HMH skips 2020, too, especially with Warner and HBO attempting to inject life back into the franchise with the upcoming animated series, though I know it's an incredible long shot.

If we're talking Warner Bros. properties like The Conjuring and IT, I'd kill to get a Gremlins maze at the event if HMH skips 2020, too, especially with Warner and HBO attempting to inject life back into the franchise with the upcoming animated series, though I know it's an incredible long shot.
Unfortunately from Murdy's comments in the past gremlins is likely out of the picture for the indefinite future.

A few quick thoughts...

-Everyone's reading too much into the posters in the Vault for Monsters. They already had the Invisible Man and Dracula posters, so they reused them. That's it. They didn't have a Mummy art asset ready to go so they took the path of least resistance. It has nothing to do with what will or won't show up for next year (but again, I'd bet House of Dracula with potentially the involvement of some other monsters under that branding).

-Much in the way that Depths of Fear had issues with their fish in Orlando, Wolfman had issues with their Wolfmen. I'm sure we'll see him again, but I doubt they'd try for a Round II with that many after the problems encountered this year.

-Lots of muddy waters for Stranger Things. I hear things from both sides. Not sure what to believe yet.

-Ghostbusters is done. Was disappointed with our maze, but glad we got them while we could.

-Ghostbusters is done. Was disappointed with our maze, but glad we got them while we could.

Wait does this mean Sony/rightsholders were disappointed or were you just personally disappointed? And are the reasons for it not coming back pretty much GSATs? (I ask because if it was rightsholders, it might affect getting Columbia properties in the future).

Glad Ghostbusters is officially dead. I hated the idea back when we were still in spec mode and I’m not even remotely surprised to see it more or less fail. Whether it was a GSAT thing or a rights-holder thing or a bunch of things at once, it was a truly terrible decision from jump street. I have to imagine all sides (Murdy/Columbia/USH/crowds) were disappointed in one way or another.

I find the whole Stranger Things situation confusing. Putting the Netflix relationship and this year’s crowd response aside, Orlando managed to do S2 and S3 pretty comprehensively and there really isn’t anything left for them to do, but Hollywood could conceivably do a S3 if they wanted to. It was just one scene.

I have no clue where things officially stand, but purely content-wise, Hollywood could easily do S3 next year, which would obviously create issues with Orlando and their plans. If Hollywood wanted to do it, could Orlando pass? Is that even in the cards? For the record, I would happily pass on more ST but who knows.

Wait does this mean Sony/rightsholders were disappointed or were you just personally disappointed? And are the reasons for it not coming back pretty much GSATs? (I ask because if it was rightsholders, it might affect getting Columbia properties in the future).

I was personally disappointed. Ghostbusters' GSATs also consistently disappointed. As for why it isn't coming back, I'd say that tempered reaction probably doesn't help.

-Lots of muddy waters for Stranger Things. I hear things from both sides. Not sure what to believe yet.

I feel like Season 3 would be right up Hollywood’s alley with the Flayed being easy and cheap scares and set ups for the big Mind Flayer puppets.

I honestly think ST3 could go 50/50 for Hollywood but likely not happening in Orlando. However I’m expecting Murdy to pull another AHS with Stranger Things

:grin:An actual 3D maze instead of a recycling plant
Doubt it. The fad of 3d mazes is over, with GP and fans.
I feel like Season 3 would be right up Hollywood’s alley with the Flayed being easy and cheap scares and set ups for the big Mind Flayer puppets.

I honestly think ST3 could go 50/50 for Hollywood but likely not happening in Orlando. However I’m expecting Murdy to pull another AHS with Stranger Things
I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't spend the money for Stranger things unless they're doing it at their flagship. Hollywood gets exclusive IP, but they're almost exclusively cult and indie franchises.

“My God! It’s a film that ties modern patriarchal oppression to the Puritans and the toxic environment established by their strict religious doctrine, as well as the ways in which an ascetic life actually does more harm to the body than good!”
That will really get them through the turnstiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.