Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

See this is my issue, why am I not allowed to be upset about a ride closing? You both seem to be missing my point. Its not that its closing and they can't build something on par, or better than, the current Mummy. I don't doubt that, nor is that the issue. Nor am I surprised to hear Mummy may be replaced soon. But, whats frustrating is telling us to basically shut up when we're upset our favorite attraction is going to close soon because "tough luck". What kind of vibe is that supposed to send here?

I understand the intent, but do you really expect people to not be upset over a favorite ride closing? We have no idea and won't have any idea on whats replacing it, so the only discussion we can have on the attraction is now that? I really just don't get you guys sometimes. I, personally at least, never debated whether Mummy would live forever or not. I do think Kidzone should be tackled beforehand, but you guys can't just brush over the fact a fan favorite ride is gonna close and "move on" on the same thread, same day, even same page that you just posted that info on! Like, give us time to digest it before telling us to chill.

If this was the reaction post EU opening, I get your guys perspective but I really think telling us to "take a Xanax" about just being upset a ride is going to go is ridiculous and arrogant. Cause why bother loving the parks and certain rides and getting connected to them if I'm just waiting for it to close and be something else? Thats just that vibe I get from you guys and I don't understand it fully.

Again, I get its old and costs a lot to run, and something new and better can be built in prime real estate. But I an still be upset about the ride closing, theres a difference, and I see nothing wrong with that.

Again... It’s one thing to dread the inevitable loss of an attraction. It’s another to go on random, unfounded tangents based on literally no information.

Personally, I elect they build that "thesis" ride that's a Universal version of the Great Movie ride.
I love that but I would like to see that as a whole Classic Movies Land where Kidszone is now. It has ET as a companion piece.

For New York I still have the hope the new Ghostbusters movie will be amazing and Universal want's to invest in a huge and unique ride.

Again... It’s one thing to dread the inevitable loss of an attraction. It’s another to go on random, unfounded tangents based on literally no information.
Dude, you gave us information that this was closing sooner than later, and barring any changed plans post EU this will be replaced. Is that no information to you?

Dude, you gave us information that this was closing sooner than later, and barring any changed plans post EU this will be replaced. Is that no information to you?
That’s, at minimum *4 years* from now.

KidZone plans changed *weeks* before closure a few years ago. Maybe blind unmitigated panic isn’t the right play when discussing things years in the future?

It's an old ride system, how long did you honestly think it would stick around for? Theres still 5+ years before it will likely go anywhere. Enjoy it while it lasts

That’s, at minimum *4 years* from now.

KidZone plans changed *weeks* before closure a few years ago. Maybe blind unmitigated panic isn’t the right play when discussing things years in the future?
Im literally not panicking, Im complaining that some of the insiders on here tend to give little tid bits of info, people react negatively in anyway, and they're like "woah guys chill". Like, on a theme park dedicated forum do you not expect a reaction? As I've stated in all my posts, which everyone seems to be ignoring, its not that I'm surprised this is closing. Whats upsetting me here is some of the mods/insiders saying "well you know this happens eventually so get over it" and "unfounded tangents" when all I'm discussing came directly from them. I don't understand what they expect.

What I said was make peace with a likely closure - and that it would probably happen in a post-EU world. Things are always fluid in Universal. KidZone almost went 3 times, Shrek almost left twice. On the flip side, we got a Transformers ride out of nowhere.

Im literally not panicking, Im complaining that some of the insiders on here tend to give little tid bits of info, people react negatively in anyway, and they're like "woah guys chill". Like, on a theme park dedicated forum do you not expect a reaction? As I've stated in all my posts, which everyone seems to be ignoring, its not that I'm surprised this is closing.

Dude, really?

Right. Which is why I’m trying to tell y’all relax. You’re getting an EU with a reworked Mummy as part of a Monsters Land. By then, the coaster will be 20 years old; so they may start to look at options to replace an antiquated coaster system in a prime attraction spot. As fun as the Mummy is, it’s not a crazy line of thinking. Hence the “make peace” comment.

Ok I’m really not trying to be a jerk here, but we really need to stop picking and choosing points. Again... It’s one thing to dread the inevitable loss of an attraction. It’s another to go on random, unfounded tangents based on literally no information. Using words like "unethical" or circling back to the F&F pile-on is stupid. I couldn't even imagine what the Jaws discussion would be like had it closed in 2019. Ya'll want to have your cake and eat it too.

"We want Shrek to close, but we don't want screens, but I don't think SLoP is relevant enough to replace it, but Shrek should close first."

All I was merely trying to point out in my OP was that it was not impossible for the attraction to close. A pretty straight-forward response with no ulterior meaning. You wanna have a discussion? Look at posts like Tobias and Andysol.

and since you asked....

Whats upsetting me here is some of the mods/insiders saying "well you know this happens eventually so get over it" and "unfounded tangents" when all I'm discussing came directly from them. I don't understand what they expect.

"Unethical. How much attendance does the Barney show get? It feels like Universal has an agenda up their sleeves. It’s like they’re doing it on purpose. Closes rides, makes F&F bad."

"Is it because it has practical effects? I thought they got the memo with F&F."

"Am I the only that realizes @Brian G. just told us basically that the earliest we will see Kidzone close is 2025."

"If they close this with F&F still open, they deserve an extremely negative reaction from the GP. What an unbelievably stupid decision this would be. They BETTER have an in-freaking-credible, entirely practical replacement in the works."

THAT is what garnered the "take a Xanax" comment. There were several other replies upset about the possibility that I responded to with no issue, because it wasn't a knee-jerk reaction.

What I said was make peace with a likely closure - and that it would probably happen in a post-EU world. Things are always fluid in Universal. KidZone almost went 3 times, Shrek almost left twice. On the flip side, we got a Transformers ride out of nowhere.

Dude, really?

and since you asked....

"Unethical. How much attendance does the Barney show get? It feels like Universal has an agenda up their sleeves. It’s like they’re doing it on purpose. Closes rides, makes F&F bad."

"Is it because it has practical effects? I thought they got the memo with F&F."

"Am I the only that realizes @Brian G. just told us basically that the earliest we will see Kidzone close is 2025."

"If they close this with F&F still open, they deserve an extremely negative reaction from the GP. What an unbelievably stupid decision this would be. They BETTER have an in-freaking-credible, entirely practical replacement in the works."

THAT is what garnered the "take a Xanax" comment. There were several other replies upset about the possibility that I responded to with no issue, because it wasn't a knee-jerk reaction.
Glad you addressed none of those comments were mine, because they weren't. Take it up with them.

So, I really have no idea why you made that comment towards me in the first place. And yes, everyone is still asking me how long I actually expected this thing to open when I've said from the beginning of this discussion, before you and I have been debating, that it wouldnt shock me if this went but it would be sad. So yes it does seem as if people are ignoring my posts and having a knee jerk reaction themselves to my post by asking "Well what'd you expect?"

Which gets to my entire point. Its not that this is shocking, or something better won't come in, or even that I'm upset the ride is closing, by you giving us info that we need to make peace with a closing for this ride post EU is to us, big information. "Unfounded tangents" are for what you described above, not what I've been responding to you with so thats just completely unfair. You gave us some info and we reacted. Not sure you can fault a theme park forum with theme park junkies on it when given info like that, to us (or me at least) thats somewhat considered news. My point, I don't get why you're upset with us lol. Sorry I'm upset Mummy is closing, Godforbid I share that. I understand your "Make peace" comment and its intent but us being upset isn't a knee jerk reaction or "unfounded tangents", again, I really don't understand what to expect with you guys sometimes. Just because you said "make peace with it" doesn't mean I need to, so long I'm not breaking board rules or anything which I definitely have not.

Anywaaaaayyy....I was hoping the Ghostbusters house would have been more popular and we could have seen a new ride ala Kong to replace this. Even with the new movie coming out, I don’t think it’s even in the realm of plausibility anymore.

KidZone plans changed *weeks* before closure a few years ago.

Still salty about that. I completely understand their reasoning: While everyone here would go to EU w/ or w/o SNW; I get that they need to attract the GP. But selfishly, we’d be a little over a year away from Nintendo and Donkey Kong.

Obviously we’ll likely never know, but I’m curious if EU had an alternative area and they replaced it with SNW. Or if they were planning to go with just 4 lands and the complex hub in the concept art and simply added SNW to the mix. Part of me thinks the latter.

If Mummy goes, we riot. :chainsaw:

In all seriousness, it'll suck when it does inevitably go, and people are gonna be upset. It's a crowd favorite. Telling people on a board of theme park fanatics to calm down regardless of how far out we are from such a thing happening isn't exactly the best look.

All that said, if it does go, it just gives me an excuse to go to Universal Sentosa! Pretty sure that one's a clone of ROTM-ORL.

Glad you addressed none of those comments were mine, because they weren't. Take it up with them.

So, I really have no idea why you made that comment towards me in the first place. And yes, everyone is still asking me how long I actually expected this thing to open when I've said from the beginning of this discussion, before you and I have been debating, that it wouldnt shock me if this went but it would be sad. So yes it does seem as if people are ignoring my posts and having a knee jerk reaction themselves to my post by asking "Well what'd you expect?"

Which gets to my entire point. Its not that this is shocking, or something better won't come in, or even that I'm upset the ride is closing, by you giving us info that we need to make peace with a closing for this ride post EU is to us, big information. "Unfounded tangents" are for what you described above, not what I've been responding to you with so thats just completely unfair. You gave us some info and we reacted. Not sure you can fault a theme park forum with theme park junkies on it when given info like that, to us (or me at least) thats somewhat considered news. My point, I don't get why you're upset with us lol. Sorry I'm upset Mummy is closing, Godforbid I share that. I understand your "Make peace" comment and its intent but us being upset isn't a knee jerk reaction or "unfounded tangents", again, I really don't understand what to expect with you guys sometimes. Just because you said "make peace with it" doesn't mean I need to, so long I'm not breaking board rules or anything which I definitely have not.

You asked why those comments were made by me, and I clarified. I never said you made the unfounded tangents. I never said you couldn't be upset if the ride closed. There have been rational responses, and there have been irrational ones - and we're being vocal about the latter.

If Mummy goes, we riot. :chainsaw:

In all seriousness, it'll suck when it does inevitably go, and people are gonna be upset. It's a crowd favorite. Telling people on a board of theme park fanatics to calm down regardless of how far out we are from such a thing happening isn't exactly the best look.

Because it's not a lock? Here's what we know:

1. Universal doesn't cling to nostalgia.
2. Monsters (with Mummy) IP looks to be moving to EU. Universal also rebooting Monsters franchise in the movies.
3. The ride system is getting older each day.
4. It's not closing any time soon; and if it did - it would be in a post-EU world. It could be 5 years, it could be 10 years. They also could close it up tomorrow.

Something is going to give eventually. It could be a refurb, it could be a complete gutting. That's the point of it all. We don't know. There are too many variables to get worked up about it now. I regret saying "Make Peace" now because it's been taken in several different directions than I originally intended - which was basically "it's not untouchable".

You asked why those comments were made by me, and I clarified. I never said you made the unfounded tangents. I never said you couldn't be upset if the ride closed. There have been rational responses, and there have been irrational ones - and we're being vocal about the latter.

Because it's not a lock? Here's what we know:

1. Universal doesn't cling to nostalgia.
2. Monsters (with Mummy) IP looks to be moving to EU. Universal also rebooting Monsters franchise in the movies.
3. The ride system is getting older each day.
4. It's not closing any time soon; and if it did - it would be in a post-EU world. It could be 5 years, it could be 10 years. They also could close it up tomorrow.

Something is going to give eventually. It could be a refurb, it could be a complete gutting. That's the point of it all. We don't know. There are too many variables to get worked up about it now. I regret saying "Make Peace" now because it's been taken in several different directions than I originally intended - which was basically "it's not untouchable".
Happy to move on, it just seemed you were only specifically responding to me, which is why I addressed it. Nothing personal against ya, just didn't understand a lot of the intentions.

It's an old ride system, how long did you honestly think it would stick around for? Theres still 5+ years before it will likely go anywhere. Enjoy it while it lasts

Why do people keep saying this? Mummy's ride system isn't "old" by theme park standards. It also isn't "complicated." I've heard rumors that Premiere won't "support" the ride anymore which is completely false as well. Premiere has three coasters currently under construction and even if they went bankrupt tomorrow, any number of coaster manufacturers could step in and support the ride after some minor alterations. Flight of Fear, Mr. Freeze, Joker's Jinx, Poltergeist, all Premiere launch coasters, all MUCH older than Mummy, all still operating.

Tower of Terror is a DECADE older than Mummy and has a ride system that requires far more upkeep. Even when Disney was considering their options for the DHS version, tearing it down wasn't on the short list of ideas.

Last edited:
Why do people keep saying this? Mummy's ride system isn't "old" by theme park standards. It also isn't "complicated." I've heard rumors that Premiere won't "support" the ride anymore which is completely false as well. Premiere has three coasters currently under construction and even if they went bankrupt tomorrow, any number of coaster manufacturers could step in and support the ride after some minor alterations. Flight of Fear, Mr. Freeze, Joker's Jinx, Poltergeist, all Premiere launch coasters, all MUCH older than Mummy, all still operating.

Tower of Terror is a DECADE older than Mummy and has a ride system that requires far more upkeep. Even when Disney was considering their options for the DHS version, tearing it down wasn't on the short list of ideas.
Rides don't age in years. They age in hours/cycles.

Joker's Jinx opened in 1999, so has been operating for 20 years. Now, Six Flags America is a seasonal park, and typical opens 3 days a week between Easter and Memorial Day, 7 days a week between Memorial Day and Labor Day, and three days a week in October. I did an extremely rough calculation based on those things and figure the park is open about 170 days a year. For the sake of math, I'm going roughly say the park is open 10 hours a day, so the Joker's Jinx runs 1,700 hours a year.

Over 20 years, based on those calculations, Joker's Jinx is 34,000 hours old.

Now, Mummy opened in May 2004, it's been running over 15 years. Big difference is, apart from refurbs (which it rarely gets), park closures and break downs, it's running every day. But, for the sake of argument (and easy math), let's knock a year off it's total "age" and (to account for the aughts), I'll say it only ran 9 hours a day.

9 hours a day * 365 days a year * 14 years = 45,990 hours old.

So, even though Jinx is old by opening date, these conceptual calculations show Mummy has almost 11,000 hours of more tear. It would take Jinx 7 more years (based on how it operates) to get to the same wear level.

But, let's extend this thought experiment. Let's say Mummy closes in 2025 without a refurb (so, 5 more years), and the park now runs it 10 hours a day.

10 hours * 365 * 5 years = 18,250 hours. That puts it at 64,240 hours of approximate run time before closure.

Based on Six Flags seasonal operations, it would take Joker's Jinx another 17 years to get the same amount of total run time.

So, a ride at Universal that last twenty years can last thirty-five to forty years in a seasonal park. That's why they operate on a different time frame. For reference, Hulk was replaced at approximately 45,000 hours. Dragons closed at over 50,000 hours.

One of the big differences between Disney and Universal is that Disney will take down their signature rides for a few months for refurbishments. That extends their lifetimes. Universal can rarely afford to do that.

Rides don't age in years. They age in hours/cycles.

Joker's Jinx opened in 1999, so has been operating for 20 years. Now, Six Flags America is a seasonal park, and typical opens 3 days a week between Easter and Memorial Day, 7 days a week between Memorial Day and Labor Day, and three days a week in October. I did an extremely rough calculation based on those things and figure the park is open about 170 days a year. For the sake of math, I'm going roughly say the park is open 10 hours a day, so the Joker's Jinx runs 1,700 hours a year.

Over 20 years, based on those calculations, Joker's Jinx is 34,000 hours old.

Now, Mummy opened in May 2004, it's been running over 15 years. Big difference is, apart from refurbs (which it rarely gets), park closures and break downs, it's running every day. But, for the sake of argument (and easy math), let's knock a year off it's total "age" and (to account for the aughts), I'll say it only ran 9 hours a day.

9 hours a day * 365 days a year * 14 years = 45,990 hours old.

So, even though Jinx is old by opening date, these conceptual calculations show Mummy has almost 11,000 hours of more tear. It would take Jinx 7 more years (based on how it operates) to get to the same wear level.

But, let's extend this thought experiment. Let's say Mummy closes in 2025 without a refurb (so, 5 more years), and the park now runs it 10 hours a day.

10 hours * 365 * 5 years = 18,250 hours. That puts it at 64,240 hours of approximate run time before closure.

Based on Six Flags seasonal operations, it would take Joker's Jinx another 17 years to get the same amount of total run time.

So, a ride at Universal that last twenty years can last thirty-five to forty years in a seasonal park. That's why they operate on a different time frame. For reference, Hulk was replaced at approximately 45,000 hours. Dragons closed at over 50,000 hours.

One of the big differences between Disney and Universal is that Disney will take down their signature rides for a few months for refurbishments. That extends their lifetimes. Universal can rarely afford to do that.
10 hours is low-balling.

EPA has the park opening at 8 most days and they start cycling around an hour before park open. Universal closes on average around 9PM most of the year now and there's also many private events that the ride is rented out for. HHN specifically puts a lot of stress on it as the park operates from 7am to 2am on HHN days. Granted I believe rides close around midnight during HHN, but still, that's about 18 hours that Mummy is pumping during an HHN day from 7:00a-Midnight (considering they have to opening early for cycling).

I'd use 12 hours for the average amount it's operated per day and that's at minimum. Especially considering that even on days the park closes at 8 or 9, the ride is easily putting in 12-13 hours of cycling.