Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney's Mulan (2020)

To the contrary, this is the one movie people should make a point to see. Currently remakes seem like an inevitability, but at least Mulan seems to be taking the classic story in a completely different direction.

Fair point. Maybe McDonald's will bring back szechuan sauce?

For someone who watches Chinese dramas/movies regularly, this looks generic as heck. Additionally lets not forget the actress's problematic Hong Kong weibo messages.

For someone who watches Chinese dramas/movies regularly, this looks generic as heck. Additionally lets not forget the actress's problematic Hong Kong weibo messages.
Didn’t people think her messages may have been something she inclined to do out of fear? I’m a little shaky on the situation but I thought that was a common belief

To the contrary, this is the one movie people should make a point to see. Currently remakes seem like an inevitability, but at least Mulan seems to be taking the classic story in a completely different direction.
Yup, this is how these live action reimaginings should be done.

Didn’t people think her messages may have been something she inclined to do out of fear? I’m a little shaky on the situation but I thought that was a common belief

The rest of the cast who are also Chinese nationals did not post anything so...don't think thats a good reason. Plus the actress is an American citizen.

The rest of the cast who are also Chinese nationals did not post anything so...don't think thats a good reason. Plus the actress is an American citizen.
She's Chinese. Yes, she has American citizenship, but she was born in Beijing. Her acting career began in China as well. This is her first English speaking lead role.

She's Chinese. Yes, she has American citizenship, but she was born in Beijing. Her acting career began in China as well. This is her first English speaking lead role.

And she’s gonna have to do publicity over there as well in the Shanghai parks and Disney wants to push Mulan in China to sell tickets as well.

She should’ve said nothing, even if she did feel strongly about what she said. Don’t get political when you have no clout in the industry yet.

But if the emperor tells you to say something, you say it or you end up like Epstein.
So we’ll never know her intention. Just her... wait for it... reflection.

And she’s gonna have to do publicity over there as well in the Shanghai parks and Disney wants to push Mulan in China to sell tickets as well.

She should’ve said nothing, even if she did feel strongly about what she said. Don’t get political when you have no clout in the industry yet.

But if the emperor tells you to say something, you say it or you end up like Epstein.
So we’ll never know her intention. Just her... wait for it... reflection.
I agree and I don't agree with what she said, but i'm not about to protest the movie over it. I'm gonna see a movie if its worth seeing. Is Mulan worth seeing? We don't know yet, but her politics will have absolutely nothing to do with my decision to see or not see this movie.

I agree and I don't agree with what she said, but i'm not about to protest the movie over it. I'm gonna see a movie if its worth seeing. Is Mulan worth seeing? We don't know yet, but her politics will have absolutely nothing to do with my decision to see or not see this movie.
Same. If I protested every movie over someone’s politics, as a conservative, I’d likely never see a movie again. :lol:

I really look forward to this one.

This is my favorite Disney animated film, so I'm actually really disappointed that it's so different from the classic. No Mushu, Li Shang, Shan Yu, or musical numbers. *SIGH* :shrug: It's barely enough to even call it Mulan. I mean, I'm going to see it. I'm just bummed that Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin got real live action tweaked versions with a new song or two thrown in, while Mulan got a whole new story.

This is my favorite Disney animated film, so I'm actually really disappointed that it's so different from the classic. No Mushu, Li Shang, Shan Yu, or musical numbers. *SIGH* :shrug: It's barely enough to even call it Mulan. I mean, I'm going to see it. I'm just bummed that Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin got real live action tweaked versions with a new song or two thrown in, while Mulan got a whole new story.
They’re doing it right with Mulan.

A few friends of mine saw an early screening of Mulan last month, they said it was not only the best live action remake, but one of the best live action Disney movies period and they're otherwise usually very critical of movies.

A few friends of mine saw an early screening of Mulan last month, they said it was not only the best live action remake, but one of the best live action Disney movies period and they're otherwise usually very critical of movies.

Interesting. Doesn't look very good to me but maybe it's just a poor trailer, or a trailer that doesn't give every scene away for a change?!

Interesting. Doesn't look very good to me but maybe it's just a poor trailer, or a trailer that doesn't give every scene away for a change?!
I’ve always gotten the impression that this movie could be really good. Especially since it’s more of and Adventure piece rather than a musical. The story of Mulan really lends itself to be something epic in live action if done right imo.