Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

I'm honestly just interested to see what the Studios will look like in 15 years time. It seems like potentially everything could be completely overhauled barring Diagon. It could be a completely different park if they really work at it post-EU.

I do get why people are upset, I feel like it's Disney said they were closing RRNC back before TSL or SWGE opened. Sure, there is still RRR/ToT for family thrill but they both serve different purposes.

I posted about this previously but I've got a family trip planned for next June, my mum hasn't been since 2003 and the only rides left in USF from that trip is Shrek, ET and MIB.

I don't think it would be crazy to think that the park could replace 70% of the rides in the next 15 years.

Part of this is why I love Universal, they continue to invest and update and have new experiences almost every vacation, but it’s also why I hate them because it’s tough to get too attached. Bittersweet I guess sometimes.

I posted about this previously but I've got a family trip planned for next June, my mum hasn't been since 2003 and the only rides left in USF from that trip is Shrek, ET and MIB.

I don't think it would be crazy to think that the park could replace 70% of the rides in the next 15 years.

Part of this is why I love Universal, they continue to invest and update and have new experiences almost every vacation, but it’s also why I hate them because it’s tough to get too attached. Bittersweet I guess sometimes.

Islands is a bit more stable, and I expect EU to be the same. When you make a park full of themed lands it’s a bit harder to replace things. USF on the other hand...

Islands is a bit more stable, and I expect EU to be the same. When you make a park full of themed lands it’s a bit harder to replace things. USF on the other hand...
I wonder if it’s going to transition in that at all however. I think certain things like kidzone should be replaced with a full land, or same with MIB and Fear Factor, but it should be interesting to see how this park and the resort in general transitions post Epic Universe. I believe the execs flat out said it would be their best park to date so that’s setting quite a bar when you have Islands of Adventure right down the road.

That’s a good point and shows the real difference between the two parks.

From day 1, IOA felt pretty complete as a park with massive story telling going on in each of the lands and it still feels that way. It’s perfectly balanced.

USF feels like a park where every ride is it’s own thing and can come and go at a moments notice which has allowed for easy replacement of rides.

It really shows the evolutionary theme park design of Universal Creative and I hope that EU will be the next step of that.

That’s a good point and shows the real difference between the two parks.

From day 1, IOA felt pretty complete as a park with massive story telling going on in each of the lands and it still feels that way. It’s perfectly balanced.

USF feels like a park where every ride is it’s own thing and can come and go at a moments notice which has allowed for easy replacement of rides.

It really shows the evolutionary theme park design of Universal Creative and I hope that EU will be the next step of that.

This excerpt from TPT about the story of Lost Continent just about sums it up:

But Disney and Universal’s Orlando parks were only the beginning. Their openings kicked off a spree of movie-themed “studio” parks popping up across the world. Particularly for audiences of the 1990s, the draw of the “studio” park was immediate. Seeing “behind-the-scenes” was a novel concept, and both Disney and Universal’s parks gave guests the chance to experience – off the screen! – the best intellectual properties money could buy.

But just as importantly, such “studio” themed parks gave operators what they wanted, too… at these uniquely industrial parks, cavernous tan showbuildings and boxy “soundstages” could populate barren "studio lots." Where Disneyland and Magic Kingdom required immersion and detail, “studio” parks could instead feature convincing-enough streetscapes (or just open industrial plazas) that gave way to scaffolds, supports, and shelled facades with visible showbuildings towering behind.

Where EPCOT Center required brave and noble concepts in industrious pavilions, a “studio” park could place The Muppets and Star Wars in neighboring soundstages, explained away as a “working movie studio” where such inconsistencies were simply part of the fun.

But times change. Even by the latter half of the 1990s, the mystique of moviemaking was fading. VHS was making its exit as DVDs brought “behind the scenes” into our living rooms. The practical effects touted by Disney and Universal’s parks were becoming outdated remnants of yesteryear as digital effects became the leading choice.

Indeed, the 21st century left the public to take a second look at the Disney-MGM Studios (and its peers like the true Disaster File: Walt Disney Studios Paris, above) for what it really was: a catch-all park that would serve to cram together any intellectual properties that couldn’t reasonably fit into Magic Kingdom or Epcot. Lacking the magic of the former and the ambitions of the latter, the “studio” concept was looking more and more like a dated cop-out.

I always liked the Movie parks as a kid and I thought it was very clever how only part of the parks are themed because that’s how movies are made. You only need to show what the lense can see but as a theme park, it was an accountants dream. You can cut costs, still sell a theme and add any IP easily and quickly without any real story or plot.

In the modern theme park, like the article said, it feels like a cop out. Universal has been retrospectively updating the park to get in line with modern theme park design.

Wow I haven't been on here on awhile, this thread has taken quite a turn.

As much as I love Mummy, with a Monsters land coming to EU it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to keep this in USF. As long as there is a worthy replacement, people will be totally fine with it being gone - just like with Jaws.

As much as I love Mummy, with a Monsters land coming to EU it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to keep this in USF. As long as there is a worthy replacement, people will be totally fine with it being gone - just like with Jaws.
Ya this is how I feel. Mummy is my favorite ride of all time so I’m a tad more but hurt but can’t deny it makes sense :(

I think it still makes sense given the kind of behind the scenes idea and I watched the Mummy a few weeks ago and it still totally holds up.

The replacement is the critical thing. I loved Jaws but Diagon is a worthy replacement like you said. The plot of land that Mummy sits on is huge and they can do a lot with it but do they go for a self contained ride or go with the flow and build a mini land?

You can lament it eventually going or ride and love it now. I always say go the later.
Oh absolutely. But, as an out of towner and someone who is only their so often, its hard to not get worried when my last ride could be. I have a trip this April, doubt ill make it in 2021, possibly a weekend. But after that, id do my best to save $ for Epic Universe in 2023/2024, so who knows how many rides left I have. But don't worry, when I'm on it this April I'll be trying to contain myself from saying "ARE YOU INSANE? GET OUT OF HERE! THE CURSE, ITS REAL." on that first turn on the first ride. Ill be owning it then for sure, and riding it every single day of my 10 day vacation :)

I think it still makes sense given the kind of behind the scenes idea and I watched the Mummy a few weeks ago and it still totally holds up.

The replacement is the critical thing. I loved Jaws but Diagon is a worthy replacement like you said. The plot of land that Mummy sits on is huge and they can do a lot with it but do they go for a self contained ride or go with the flow and build a mini land?
Heh, they could always expand F&F into that Mummy space for a really really long ride. ;):lol:

There is an aspect to USF that is no longer there...Back when the park first opened you could 'feel' that production was happening all around you. It was a real studio for the most part, and the rides were disguised cleverly into that feeling.

That was lost when Nick left tbh

TBH, the only garish area of Studios is Production Central and bits of World Expo/Kidzone

Heh, they could always expand F&F into that Mummy space for a really really long ride. ;):lol:
At that point they should just do an indoor land

I think whatever they replace it with will have to maintain a level of thrill though. People will be REALLY angry if they get rid of a fantastic thrill attraction for a family-friendly 4D show or a slow dark ride.

Looking at Google Maps, Mummy isn't quite as big as I thought it was.