Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

Bringing back ride math.
Rides don't age in years. They age in hours/cycles.

Joker's Jinx opened in 1999, so has been operating for 20 years. Now, Six Flags America is a seasonal park, and typical opens 3 days a week between Easter and Memorial Day, 7 days a week between Memorial Day and Labor Day, and three days a week in October. I did an extremely rough calculation based on those things and figure the park is open about 170 days a year. For the sake of math, I'm going roughly say the park is open 10 hours a day, so the Joker's Jinx runs 1,700 hours a year.

Over 20 years, based on those calculations, Joker's Jinx is 34,000 hours old.

Now, Mummy opened in May 2004, it's been running over 15 years. Big difference is, apart from refurbs (which it rarely gets), park closures and break downs, it's running every day. But, for the sake of argument (and easy math), let's knock a year off it's total "age" and (to account for the aughts), I'll say it only ran 9 hours a day.

9 hours a day * 365 days a year * 14 years = 45,990 hours old.

So, even though Jinx is old by opening date, these conceptual calculations show Mummy has almost 11,000 hours of more tear. It would take Jinx 7 more years (based on how it operates) to get to the same wear level.

But, let's extend this thought experiment. Let's say Mummy closes in 2025 without a refurb (so, 5 more years), and the park now runs it 10 hours a day.

10 hours * 365 * 5 years = 18,250 hours. That puts it at 64,240 hours of approximate run time before closure.

Based on Six Flags seasonal operations, it would take Joker's Jinx another 17 years to get the same amount of total run time.

So, a ride at Universal that last twenty years can last thirty-five to forty years in a seasonal park. That's why they operate on a different time frame. For reference, Hulk was replaced at approximately 45,000 hours. Dragons closed at over 50,000 hours.

One of the big differences between Disney and Universal is that Disney will take down their signature rides for a few months for refurbishments. That extends their lifetimes. Universal can rarely afford to do that.

On the Kumba v Hulk front, even though Kumba has been running for 25years v Hulks 16 years before a refurb. I’ve seen Kumba constantly running with only one train while Hulk runs with two or three. If we’re talking full cycles of a train running through, Hulk was well ahead.

They ride them really really hard.

attendance at IOA vs. any non-Florida Park with a B&M isn’t even comparable in any way, shape or form. Universal also has the money where other companies are squeezed for cash.
Attendance is irrelevant. If a train is running x number an hours a day (And remember, during peak Busch is open longer than Universal). the train goes out. Empty or full. (And there are six more B&M's that opened the same year as Hulk too). Dragons suffered from stress from not operating the way it was designed. But never figured out Hulk's issue. (And I swear they didn't replace the trains, just the bodies. It's rougher than ever).

Attendance is irrelevant. If a train is running x number an hours a day (And remember, during peak Busch is open longer than Universal). the train goes out. Empty or full. (And there are six more B&M's that opened the same year as Hulk too). Dragons suffered from stress from not operating the way it was designed. But never figured out Hulk's issue. (And I swear they didn't replace the trains, just the bodies. It's rougher than ever).

Attendance is relevant. If attendance is slow, they are going to run fewer trains - and considering IOA pulls more than double the attendance means there's going to be a big difference in trains running. You sure are dying on this hill, though. :lol:

Last edited:
This is on-topic, though indirectly, because we're discussing the ins and outs of a coaster's lifespan - and some are using examples in their arguments of the Mummy either staying or going.

Probably the best comparison for Hulk would be Rock n Roller Coaster. Both opened in 99, probably have a similar number of throughput but one is indoor and one is outdoor.

Probably the best comparison for Hulk would be Rock n Roller Coaster. Both opened in 99, probably have a similar number of throughput but one is indoor and one is outdoor.
What about Big Thunder? Its not been torn down and rebuilt. And that tracks closer to Mummy's type.

What about Big Thunder? Its not been torn down and rebuilt. And that tracks closer to Mummy's type.
Disney does stop-gap refurbs to extend the lifespans of their coasters.

Both Big Thunder and especially Space Mountain need track replacements. The Matterhorn at DL also needs a full replacement after many stop gaps.

Disney is weird to compare to bc they like to push things that need to be done off instead of getting it done. Look at how they treat the monorail, too. It’s systemic for them.

Space Mtn. will be hard to retrack, it is an Arrow coaster. S&S bought the remains of Arrow, but they don't make Arrow replacement track. When Space Mtn. does get some major attention, it will probably get a brand new Mack coaster.

Disney does stop-gap refurbs to extend the lifespans of their coasters.

Both Big Thunder and especially Space Mountain need track replacements. The Matterhorn at DL also needs a full replacement after many stop gaps.

Disney is weird to compare to bc they like to push things that need to be done off instead of getting it done. Look at how they treat the monorail, too. It’s systemic for them.

Everybody keeps talking about what ride needs retracked like it happens all the time. It’s incredibly rare. Universal has done it once, for the first time in their history. Disneyland space mountain got a new track in what, 2004 or so? To my knowledge, Matterhorn never has. And that’s over 60 years old.

Am I missing the frequency of “retracking” that we’re acting like it happens all the time?

The Mummy is indoors and cannot be compared to a coaster from another manufacturer; especially an outdoor coaster. The Mummy is its own animal.

Everybody keeps talking about what ride needs retracked like it happens all the time. It’s incredibly rare. Universal has done it once, for the first time in their history. Disneyland space mountain got a new track in what, 2004 or so? To my knowledge, Matterhorn never has. And that’s over 60 years old.

Am I missing the frequency of “retracking” that we’re acting like it happens all the time?

The Mummy is indoors and cannot be compared to a coaster from another manufacturer; especially an outdoor coaster. The Mummy is its own animal.
Matterhorn and WDW space have needed it for at least a decade, if not multiple in Matterhorn’s case.